Naples best restaurants

Old Apr 15th, 2006, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naples best restaurants

My husband and I will be going to Naples next month. Can you all please tell me which are your favorite places to eat? Also, where are the fun places to hang out and have a drink?
Thanks very much,
Nancy
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 12:51 PM

There have to be hundreds of posts answering this here. Just search, Naples and restaurants and you will get many threads.

My favorites are:
Campiello
Cafe Lurcat
Both meet your requirements of a place to hang out and people watch and have a nice drink.

Also in this group:
Tommy Bahama
Turtle Club
Brio (at the Waterside Shops): They had wonderful carpaccio appetizer which made a lovely lunch for me. It was my first time there, but not my last.

No one cooks in Naples and there are literally hundreds of places to go. Most forgettable but I'm sure Neopolitan will come in with some others.

LMF
Old Apr 16th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Neopolitan

No one cooks in Naples? Oh, LilMsFoodie, how wrong you are there as the crowds at the nicer markets will tell us!

But in any case we two agree. Campiello remains my favorite -- not the grandest, not the most spectacular food, just the best for all around good ambience.

Bar Lucat is also good (same ownership). The upstairs is more "formal" than the downstairs which is often THE place to hang out and get a drink (if you can get near it).

Truluck's is getting all the raves for doing the best job with seafood, but you will pay for the privilege of eating there. Their bar is also often a lively spot, sometimes with jazz or piano.

This week we got a new Roy's so those of us downtown don't have to make the drive to Bonita. Always a good choice and I'm assuming just as good.

The "place" to hang out for a drink is taking a stroll along Fifth Avenue and seeing what's what. Particularly Thursday through Saturday nights.

And LilMsFoodie and I met at Bice for a not so wonderful lunch back some time ago. It has gotten much better and certainly more polished since then. We had a recent dinner there that was flawless in every detail. They are doing some silly "private club" deal there. Pay a fee and you get preferential treatment and seating. Enough of a reason to make me avoid it again, despite their food.

I've had two really wonderful meals at the Albanian owned and run Nektar. Duck that I swooned over. Sort of mixed Mediterranean menu. Really good food and a little more laid back than the busy places on Fifth.

The big news is Handsome Harry's, a spring off from Tommy Bahamas in the huge old Mole Hole building. They've been working on it for months and months. It may open within this decade.

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 11:51 AM

Gee, I didn't get my invitation for private membership at Bice. I think it is a silly thing, but very much in keeping with their "in crowd" attitude.

I still think cooking in Naples is mainly calling the caterer or the maitre 'd. LMF
Old Apr 17th, 2006, 12:17 PM
Neopolitan

Well the exchange, "What's the best thing you make?" "A reservation." is quite common here.

Old Apr 18th, 2006, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the information!