Search

naples

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
naples

Which place would you recommend between Registry and LaPlaya with teen for spring break?
Old Jan 5th, 2004, 07:03 PM

Honestly, I'd think it's a toss up as far as the teen is involved. Not much for the teen at either place. But of the two, I'd prefer the ambiance of LaPlaya.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Where would you recommend for spring break in Naples then?
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 05:34 AM

Well, to be honest, Naples doesn't offer a lot for teens, and you normally won't see a lot of them at any of the hotels (although I'm sure spring break will find more), but if you're willing to seek out the entertainment away from the hotel, then anyplace could be great. You've named too of the best in the area, especially for being at the beach.
The one thing to consider is that there isn't anything close by to "walk to". If the teen would normally want or be allowed to go off on his or her own, being near "downtown" Naples would offer more in that regard -- but you'd pretty much have to give up the being on the beach idea -- maybe not such a good trade off.

And in retrospect, I'd push LaPlaya even more as it is right on the beach, not set way back. More of a relaxing atmosphere instead of a big hotel feel.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:00 AM
Original Poster

Would we be best to switch our plans and go to Captiva or somewhere else after landing in Fort Myers? A friend of mine told me that Naples was great for kids during spring break, that's why I figured we'd try it. I'm guessing you know the area rather well.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:13 AM

HELP!!! I'm really not the expert here when it comes to entertaining teens. Can someone else help us out here?

I'm not sure what your friends were referring to about Naples being a great place for kids -- but then other than the Orlando area, off hand I don't know where in Florida is a great kid place. Don't know that Captiva offers any more.

In Naples you can visit the usual places, do a boat tour, visit the Conservancy, do the boardwalk at Corkscrew Sanctuary, see Carribean Gardens, and of course beach -- which may be the main activity the kid is interested in.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

You know basically, they are going to want to go to the beach and have other teens there. So they can meet others and socialize while sun bathing or hanging out in the ocean. If there are other teens at the hotel they will be happy. If it's only the geriatric set staying at the hotel, I'll be in deep s...! That's all I'm looking for, not Cancun or Fort Lauderdale during spring break.
Old Jan 6th, 2004, 07:40 AM
dln

Patrick is right on the money with his advice. My parents live in Naples now, and we've dragged our 15 yr old daughter and 16 yr old son down there, and to say they're not crazy about Naples would be an understatement (though they're very fond of their grandparents)!!!! There simply aren't enough teens in Naples, and on spring break, kids want to hang with other kids. You'd do much better at Captiva or Sanibel, which is positively crawling with families at spring break. It's much more fun for them, and the atmosphere is not overly wild, so you don't have to worry. However, I'd get on the stick about reserving. As in, do it today! We once made the mistake of waiting until the end of January to find a place for Sanibel for spring break, and I was shocked at how slim the pickings were. Use the search box and type in Sanibel or Captiva, and you'll come up with plenty of suggestions about condominiums.

Old Jan 6th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Well I guess I need to contact Southseas Platation and consider going back there again. Thanks for the info. I think I'll have to talk with my friend.