Search

NaPali coast

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NaPali coast

We will be on Kauai for 7 days.

We are taking a Helicopter trip our first full day there. We are also taking a boat trip with Captain Sundown along the NaPali coast out of Hanalei about mid-trip. With these 2 activies should we skip hiking the NaPali Coast Trail or should we consider some other activity instead?

Day 1: Waimea Canyon & Helicopter Ride
Day 2: Evening Wedding
Day 3: Nothing but 90 minute surf lesson in mid-afternoon
Day 4: Relax - Hike NaPali Coast???
Day 5: Relax
Day 6: NaPali Boat Trip
Day 7: Leave for Hilo at 1pm

Old May 3rd, 2004, 11:44 AM
blacktie

Since you'll be near Kapalua, Sansei restaurant is good, sushi ... but the Bay Club is bad (Maui Reveals actually gives it an "ono" but dinner there was overpriced, food so-so, and the service terrible. This is a restaurant catering to the time-share crowd staying there. Steer clear!!

Old May 3rd, 2004, 12:11 PM

The Kalalau Train on the NaPali coast is most definitely worth doing. However, in my opinion, the outlook at the end of the Awaawapui trail (sp?) from Koke'e State Park is even more spectacular.

Blacktie, have you ever been to Hawaii? Nancy03 was asking about Kauai, not Maui.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM

Hulahoop -
Blacktie's posting was rather peculiar, wasn't it? Tell me about the second trail you mentioned - the one from Ke'e Park. How many miles to lookout? Strenuous? Mahalo.
Old May 3rd, 2004, 03:27 PM

Blacktie probably thought he/she had a different post pulled up on the screen and was trying to respond to something about Maui. It happens.

love
roxy
Old May 3rd, 2004, 06:07 PM

You're right, Roxy. I'll bet that's exactly what happened. By the way, I too have been thumbing through my blue bibles and drooling on them until the pages are almost see-through! My family says that I like planning better than going. Who all will be on Kauai in June? Let's have a roll call...
Old May 3rd, 2004, 08:15 PM

Crazy,

Planning's the second best part! I planned a trip to Tahiti we can't yet afford to take, and thumbed through Puerto Rico/USVI a bit. Sometimes I even look through Maui Revealed and think about last year's trip. Last July on Maui my boyfriend was amazed by how much I knew about the area and all the places I recognized!

love
roxy
Old May 5th, 2004, 09:48 AM

Crazy4Hawaii:

I don't remember the distance; I think it took 4-5 hours there and back. It is not strenuous in terms of steepness. But what makes it tiring is that is slightly downhill to the lookout, which means that it is slightly and constantly uphill going back.

But the view from the lookout makes it more than worthwhile. By the way, it is described in the Blue Bible, Kauai Revealed.
Old May 5th, 2004, 01:54 PM

Crazy4Hawaii you asked who will be in Kauai in June and I am happy to say we will be. So excited!! But wish I was thinner, but then don't all the gals.
Aloha!
Old May 5th, 2004, 02:51 PM

On you r way back from NaPali stop at the Princeville hotel and have lunch at their outdoor terrace restaurant. We did that 9 yrs. ago and I still remember the views. A bit of paradise!