Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Napa valley wineries which should be toured?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2013, 07:31 PM
mrt
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are going to Napa Valley for 5 days next month and will tour and taste at the wineries. The last time we went we had small children with us and toured only Berringer and Mondavi. This time we will be alone and would like to tour 4-5 wineres, even those which charge for the tour and tasting. Can those of you that enjoy wine and have been on small tours make your recommendations of wineries that offer the best experience. I realize it is subjective.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 08:51 PM

Sterling Vineyards is a good option. The winery is atop a tall hill; access is via a cable car. When we were last there 3 different flights of wine were on offer, following a tour.

For tasting only, Heitz, and for a tour plus tasting I strongly recommend Robert Mondavi.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 10:37 PM

mrt - they all charge in the Napa Valley, the question is how much do they charge.

Having first gone to the NV back in 1972, Sterling is good for tourists, not for tasting. You have to remember this winery used to be owned by Coke.

Try thie article from the Wine Spectator for their choices of wineries to visit. Note the prices.

http://www.winespectator.com/wct/reg...alley-wineries

Virtually all the larger wineries are now owned by large conglomerates.

For some place that have been around for a while, I like Terra and Bistro Jeanty.

Domaine Chandon also has an area for enjoying their sparkling wine at a retail price.

Given the 200+ wineries in the valley, it's hard to point one to a specific winery.

Stay in Calistoga, if you can. Nice place that's a tad different and more funky than the rest of the valley.
Old Aug 10th, 2013, 10:39 PM

Correction, for some restaurnts, Bistro Jeanty and Terra are highly rated by Zagat.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 04:57 AM

Heitz does not charge for their tasting. And the wines are stellar.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 11:20 AM

We had a great trip in wine country I will give lots of info you can research. We stayed in Calistogo at Dante Vineyards Villa a great location to northern napa. dantevineyards.com
toured Vincent Arroyo winery ck out fig tree on side, Clos pegase has neat sculptures in garden, Francis for Coppola has huge building to walk around see movie memorablia, Castello di Amorsa is a castle tour, Pariadise ridge has the best view and entertainment, Dutcher Crossing has really great wine, DeLorimier Winery, Trentadue great Port wine, Artesa beautiful grounds, Hans Fahden grounds and beautiful and owner gives of great talk.Bella taste wine in cave, Raymound Burr small tasting but cool drive to get too. Michel Schlumber neat setting has Jazz band. Wilson, DelDotto candle cave tour, We also went up in Balloon ride you can see Old Faithful, Armstong Redwoods great place to visit in area. The traffic north of napa is alot less and easy to get around. Have a great trip
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 11:38 AM

Personally, I think that most of the tours are pretty much the same. "And over here is where we crush. And over here are some oak barrels - we use only French oak..." FWIW, I think Mondavi has the best educational programs and they would be my first choice for a tour.

Pride Mountain is a cool winery and they do a cellar tour, which is basically a bunch of barrels, but you taste from the barrels, the setting is fantastic, and the wine is very good.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 11:46 AM

Coppola has moved all of its stuff and winery to Geyserville, as Francis wants privacy for the old Inglenook estate.

http://www.franciscoppolawinery.com/

If you go back far enough, Inglenook procuced some of the best wines in the Napa Valley. Francis is trying to restore that quality again.

http://www.winemag.com/Wine-Enthusia...-to-Fine-Wine/
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 12:15 PM

Coppola has moved all of its stuff and winery to Geyserville, as Francis wants privacy for the old Inglenook estate.

Coppola moved the low-priced wines (and some of the memorabilia) to the Francis Coppola winery. Inglenook remains open and is where he produces his premium wines. You can still visit Inglenook.
Old Aug 11th, 2013, 01:09 PM
mrt
Original Poster

Thank you. http://www.winespectator.com/wct/reg...alley-wineries is a very informative article.