Napa Valley Wineries

Search

Napa Valley Wineries

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa Valley Wineries

Planning to visit SF the end of April. Wanted to take 1 day to visit wineries. Is there really a difference between seeing one or another? If they are not all the same, which was most interesting?
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:39 AM

One might think they're all alike, but I don't think so. Personally, I liked Beringer and Silver Oak Cellars. Of couse, if you have a favorite maker, seek out their winery, they probably have a tour.

The very best tour I thought was at Domaine Chandon. But this is not still wine, this is champagne. Er, "sparkling wine" Beautiful facility, good tour and a very very good restaurant. We had a great time there.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:47 AM

Domaine Chandon is one of my favorites in Yountville. Have lunch out on their patio if the weather is nice. You won't want to leave this place, schedule plenty of time really linger and enjoy.

A small little boutique winery that I love is Freemark Abbey, located in St. Helena. Their Viognier was actually the only one that made the list on Wine Enthusiast's "Best Wines in the World" list. I originally tasted their Riesling at a restaurant that I frequent in CA and had to visit the winery. Very quaint, excellent wines!

V. Sattui is very nice (Napa Valley) for a picnic and there is a nice deli there for sandwiches. The Gamay Rouge is very good. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 10:55 AM

Am I reading correctly that you're more interested in seeing the wineries than tasting the wine? In that case, I'd suggest Sterling, which is distinguished by its aerial tram, if not its wine. And though it's been years since I was there, I still have a clear picture of Beringer's in my mind. Must be because of the building, because I don't think too highly of most of their wines.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:14 AM

Sterling has some decent wines, I enjoy their Reserve wines. The tram ride up to the top is very nice. This is in the Calistoga area.

In this area, Clos Pegase has some nice wines and their tasting room has some gorgeous artwork to view while you are doing your wine tastings. ***kim***
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:23 AM
Fairhope

Mondavi,Beringer,Sterling. But that said the layout of the wineries along the valley should be noted.
The wineries are located on three roads along the valley from Napa north. As I recall The big popular ones are on the middle (main) rd but there are wineries in the hills on both side roads that run the same direction on either side. I suggest that you get up in the hills and visit these less frequented wineries too.

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:34 AM

Beringer's second floor "premium" tasting room is the best, 'tho Ch. St Jean's just N of Sonoma is VG also.
I was last at Sterling in April '02 and thought their regular wines universally pretty nasty.
M
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 11:38 AM

mikemo, I'm sure you know this, but Chateau St. Jean also offers a Reserve tasting that is supposedly very nice. Have you done that one? We tasted out of the regular tasting room, the Reserve tasting was across the way. ***kim***
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 02:41 PM

V. Sattui is hands down the favorite winery in my family! Coppola is a beautiful estate and grounds with memorabilia from the movies and the original tucker automobile.