Search

Napa Ghost Wineries

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa Ghost Wineries

I read an LA Times article written in July that talked about ghost wineries in Napa. Are any of these worthwhile or special?

Hall
Ehlers
Storybook Mountain
Chateau Montelena
Franco-Swiss

Also, any opinion on the tour/tasting at Castello di Amorosa?

I've read so much about wineries on this forum, but the sheer quantity is overwhelming. We will be in Healdsburg one day and Napa three days in mid October. We don't want to hit a zillion of them, but want a nice mix. I'm most tempted by the ones that have beautiful settings along with great wine. This is our first trip.

Many of you have visited lots of them. Which do you consider special?
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 07:35 PM

Can't comment on "ghosts" but Castello de Amorosa will fill the bill if you are looking for spectacular settings. Wines--okay by Napa Standards--but spring for the tour/tasting so you can peek into all the nooks and crannies.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 07:45 PM

i live in Sonoma county, neighbor to Napa, and I love architecture and special settings.. So here are my favorites. Chateau Montelena has very expensive wine, but a wonderful picnic spot with a Chinese bridge designed to ward off evil spirits; you may have to make a reservation, and dress warmly for your visit. We like the new Darioush winery, built to look like Persepolis in ancient Persia, the winery Quixote (reservation mandatory) because it is the only US building designed by Hundertwasser (a cross between Gaudi and Dr. Seuss), and Sterling vineyards (self guided tour and sunlit tasting room) because of the tram ride up the hill with a lovely view of the whole valley. Be warned; most wineries have a tasting charge (in Sterling's case, its a charge for the tram ride), but some refund that fee if you buy a bottle.
Eat in Yountville at Bistro Jeanty for authentic French food in a cozy atmosphere, and in St. Helena, eat at the upscale Italian restaurant Tra Vigne, charming room and lovely terrace.. Any of the restaurants that are on the cards they have in display cases at any of the restaurants owned by the same owner, are all great. Save money by buying lunch picnic stuff at either Oakville Grocery or Dean and De Luca in St. Helena; many wineries have picnic tables and aren't even too strict about having to buy one of their wines to use them. Don't bother with the Wine Train.Enjoy!
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 08:04 PM

We visited Chateau Montelena last year and took their higher-priced tour and tasting to check out their famous reds. Even with our reservation, we were not welcomed to picnic on their grounds; they said it was reserved for wine club members, which I found frustrating.

The tour, however, was informative and friendly and the grounds and chateau are quite ecletic and attractive. We got to taste some wines which retail over $100. I expected to be blown away by that, but I didn't find those wines to be that extraordinary, at least not enough to mortgage the house to buy them! Maybe my palate is ruined by all those years swilling the cheap stuff!

One aspect of visiting Chateau Montelena is its claim to fame of having proven to the world the excellence of California wines, by taking first place in a blind tasting in France in the late 70s. "The Judgment of Paris" the competition was called. This is portrayed in a recent movie called "Bottle Shock" which I saw last month. The filmmakers took many liberties with the story, but part of it is filmed on location at the chateau. It's a decent enough movie, especially the cinematography of the Napa/Sonoma area. If you end up visiting Montelena, it's worth checking out the movie.
Old Sep 16th, 2008, 09:28 PM

I was very impressed with Storybook Mountain. We called ahead for a reservation, and one of the family spent about an hour giving us a private tour of the vineyards and a tasting in their cellar in the old caves. He was very gracious with his time and a very personable guide. Lovely setting with a little redwood grove on site.

I highly recommend a visit, but be sure to arrange for an appointment before you go (I don't believe it's possible to get on the grounds otherwise). Oh, and their wines are absolutely fantastic.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 09:03 AM

definitely go to chateau montelana.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses. I think we will do Castello di Amoroso, Chateau Montelena and Storybook (we love cabs and zinfandel).

Which sparkling would you consider special? Which small vineyard on the Silverado trail would you recommend?

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM

Well, if it must be in Napa...
Schramsberg (near Calistoga) for the sparkling. Call ahead.

Too bad you can't get up to Roederer Estate. Their L'Ermitage is outstanding. These are the two best in the area, IMHO.

A smaller place on the Silverado Trail would be Casa Nuestra
(about 2K cases/year)at Yountville Cross Rd. Call ahead.
I also like Cliff Lede & Robert Sinskey along the Silverado Trail.

Weather is fantastic here now, vines
just starting to turn, so should be beautiful for your visit !

R5
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 04:46 PM

On the Silverado Trail--Rombauer. Great view, excellent wines.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 04:50 PM

Interestingly, Castello di Amorosa was included in a "Ghost Winery" tour put on by the Napa Land Trust a few years ago. Although it was under construction and brand new, it felt as though some ghosts were present on the property. Maybe they came over from Europe in the 850,000 bricks that Daryl imported. It is certainly worth a visit.

One of the most interesting "ghost wineries" is Far Niente. From Prohibition until 1980, the winery lay in ruins in view of Hwy 29 in Oakville.

Then Gil Nickel bought the property and lovingly restored it. It was not open to the public for many years but is now by reservation.

http://www.farniente.com/Winery/tourstastings.html

Another interesting old winery is Regusci on Silverado Trail.

http://www.regusciwinery.com/home.html

Regusci makes a nice Zinfandel but they maybe sold out right now.

Storybook is also a good choice and was also part of the Land Trust tour one year.

Charles Krug is also worth a visit. There's a lot of historical remnants around on the property and the winery itself is the oldest in the Napa Valley.

For sparkling wine, I highly recommend Schramsberg. This was also a "ghost winery" until the Davies resurrected it in the 1960's. The wine caves are fabulous and so are the gardens. And, of course, the wine is world famous.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 05:19 PM

I highly recommend Schramsburg.
Also, I agree Casa Nuestra Winery on Silverado Trail is worth a visit. You may need an appointment, depending on the day you want to visit - not sure of their hours, so call ahead. Ask about their Tinto story. Their harvested vineyard of the Tinto recipe would qualify as a "ghost" vineyard. On Highway 29 in Rutherford, I also like Peju Province Winery for their beautiful grounds, friendly tasting room, and great wines (particularly Savignon Blanc and Cabernet Savignon - especially their Reserve wines).
Oh, and Rutherford Hill Winery has a fantastic picnic area with amazing views.

Restaurant recommendations:
In Calistoga: Wappo Bar and Bistro
In St. Helena: Terra or Press or Auberge d' Soliel - (I think the outdoor patio at Tra Vigne is gorgeous but there is better food and friendlier service elsewhere)
In Yountville: Bistro Jeanty
Napa: Bistro Don Giovanni
Celadon
Cole's Chop House
Have a great time!
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 07:44 PM

bookmark
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:49 AM

auberge and cole's were amazing. we never made it to terra's. but it also came reccomended.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:16 AM

I thought all wineries were ghost wineries because of the high amount of "spirits" produced.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

That's true Bird and I've heard the spirits are very loud because they 'wine' a lot.
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 08:58 AM

ha bird and central park girl. =D>
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 10:24 AM

bookmarking