Napa & San Francisco Qs

Old Nov 14th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa & San Francisco Qs

Sorry--- it's long.

Husband & I are flying up to SF next week for a 5-day get-away sans-kid. San Francisco is one of our favorite places but I'm not thrilled regrading the cold & rainy weather in late Nov. Twice in Nov there, I got really sick but my man wants to go now. We've been in SF many times before but never try a wine tasting! I actually drove by Sonoma a few times. We'll fly in Sat but don't think it's a good idea to drive up to Napa right away so we plan to break our days into this plan:

Plan A:
1. Sat : SF
2. Sun: drive to Napa, wine tasting, stay over night. 30% chance of rain!
3. Mon, sparkling wine tasting, drive back to SF.
4. M-Thu: in SF, Union Sq.

Then now the weather forecast stated that Sat is the only dry day of our trip (Sat-Thu) so:

Plan B:
1. Sat: Got in 8:30AM; breakfast/dimsum in Burlingam/Daily & pk up some pastries then drive to Napa (2hrs?). Do 2 wine tasting or may be just hang out at the Backroom. Check in hotel later- Embassy Stes.
2. Sun: 1 more wine tasting possibly, drive back to SF, check in hotel in Union Sq. take it easy.
3. Sun-Thu: in SF, Union Sq.

Here are a few questions:

1. We plan to have cars for the first 3 days then drop off the car late on Mon in SF downtown. Plan to either buy a 48-hr pass for the hop-on hop-off bus for T & W or a daily MUNI & Cabale pass ( $11/day) to get around on T & W. Taxi for dinners. We'll be roaming around morning Thu before catching our flight to be back in-time for the Thanksgiving dinner w/ the kids. Plan to take BART/shuttle van/taxi to airport ~noontime. Husband is kind of wanting to have a rental car the whole time. That would cost us twice vs. having the car just 3 days for outer-city travel since the parking fee is outrageous @ $50 + 15% tax/daily in Union Sq area. Tried to explain to him that MUNI & Cable are pretty good ways to get around in SF. I guess he doesn't like to wait around for maybe 30'? I still remember it could take 30' to find parking around North Beach, SF downtown for dinner time. It was stressful. Parking fee is expensive as well.

Q:
What is your recommendation re. having a car 1/2 time vs. having a car the whole time? Any parking garage that provides in/out privilege in downtown or any parking option better that the hotel parking. Again, we have not finalized the hotel yet due to weather/plan A/B. Most of the good hotel rates or Priceline bids are non-refundable. Sigh. For sure it is in the Union Sq area.

2. What is the best way to get to Napa? Bay Bridge or Golden Gate Bridge from FMW? Google map directed us via Bay Bridge. Is Bay Bridge safely operating now?

3. What is your favorite wine tasting in Napa (Napa)? We'll try Sonoma & Santa Rose next times.

4. Where to get half-priced/last minute play tickets beside the TIX in the Union Sq?

TIA.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 07:45 PM

Suggest SF Grand Hyatt Union Sq...park across the street at city garage @ Ellis-O'Farrell $38.00 max 24 hrs. Rates are better than hotel and it is literally across the street.Sometimes Hyatt has shopping specials that included dscounted valet parking.Call Hyatt not 800 Resv # and look online.
Starbucks across the street too.
Have lunch at CAfe Mocha (cash only Maiden Lane),best hot chocolate Emirio Rulii on the sqaure and watch the ice skaters..
We prefer Sonoma these days..too bad you won't be ther Friday Nov 27 after T-Day..has a great Sonoma Winery Holiday Open House and wine tasting for 30.00pp
We have always bought 1/2 of TIX in Union Sq. Why wouldn't you?
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 07:58 PM

Well the Ellis-O'Farrell Garage is not exactly across the street from the SF Grand Hyatt. However it is only a few blocks away. The Grand Hyatt is on Stockton at Post. The Stockton St. Garage is the closest to the Grand Hyatt, just up the block from the Grand Hyatt on Stockton.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Original Poster

1JAR: Thanks for the tips on parking & hot chocolate (yummm) especially for the rainy day(s).
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 10:14 PM

You really won't want a car when you are in SF; it will be more of a nuisance - an extra cost plus parking hassles. Public transport is good and convenient. And often we just take taxis if we can't walk or the weather is bad.

To get to Napa you can take either bridge. The Golden Gate Bridge is probably simpler, the Bay Bridge may be a little faster, depending on the time of day and traffic.

Napa Valley is really beautiful and is easiest for a short visit, as wineries and restaurants are all within a small area (compared to Sonoma County which is spread out).
I recommend Peju Winery - the tasting room is fun and friendly and the grounds are lovely. Their cabs are wonderful and I like their Sav Blanc also. Check the website:
www.peju.com There is also Elisabeth Spencer Winery which is also in Rutherford. Quixote Winery is a unique stop off Silverado Trail and was designed by Hundertwasser.
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 10:15 PM

I think 1JAr may be thinking of the Union Square garagee which is literally across the street from the Hyatt.

As for the car, I definitely would not use a car to get around IN San Francisco. If you're sure you're going to be in the city those days, and not need the car to go elsewhere, I wouldn't keep the car. You can take a lot of taxis around town for the cost of the rental car and parking. BTW, I don't know of any public garages with in-and-out privileges.

Just crossed the Bay Bridge tonight. Yes, it is operating safely. You do have to slow down for the dreaded "S-curve" (where they put in the new section).
Old Nov 14th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

LoveItaly: Your clarification is much appreciated. I'll google to get more details. I don't remember that area is hilly/steep, do you? Not like the steep walk up to the Mark Hopkins, is it?

Also, one more question, is Parc 55 in Tenderloin or by the border of Tenderloin? Is the area OK to walk at night? I walked there during the day. Found a parking lot 3 blocks away w/in/out access but prefer the Grand Hyatt or Hilton (sold out).
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 06:38 AM

LoveItaly txs for the correction..funny how one little word (OR) can chg the whole intent of the post..my apologies.

Kyala, my post should have read.....park across the street (OR) at city garage @ Ellis-O'Farrell $38.00 max 24 hrs.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 07:50 AM
Original Poster

Today the weather forecast changed to my favor; no rain on Sun. Hurray! It looks like we are going to stick w/ plan A even the weather can be changed again.

sf7307: Thanks for the test drive. )
elnap29: Thanks for confirming the no-car option in SF. Also, the rec of winery/which bridge to take is appreciated.
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 07:56 AM

I sure would not make any plans based on a weather forecast for 7 days from now. They seem to be about 50% correct for "tomorrow". In Saturday's paper the weather forecast (printed late Fri night) said it would me mostly sunny - no mention of rain like there was earlier in the week (but no rain). Sat morning was overcast & drizzly till about mid-day - then it became mostly sunny. Earlier in the week they said it would be overcast - and it was sunny all day.

It is beautiful here today.

The drive over the Golden Gate Bridge to get up north is one of the loveliest bridge drives in the world. The drive east over the Bay Bridge is one of the ugliest (lower span - you can't see anything). If you return via the Bay Bridge the views of downtown SF will be quite nice - but the bridge is likely to be bumper-to-bumper commute traffic. Later in the day the sun will be in your face, so the views will not be that great. The drive from the eastern span of the Bay Bridge uup north is something I avoid at all costs. The Bay Bridge is having some other problems now.

Take the Golden Gate Bridge.

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 15th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Yes, of course, the Union Square Garage is across from the side of the Grand Hyatt. It is underneath Union Square. I believe the Stockton St. garage is a bit cheaper but I may be wrong.

Kalya, the Grant Hyatt is not on a steep hill. Are you familar with Union Square? You just cross Post (the north side of Union Square) and Stockton is on the east side of Union Square. The Grand Hyatt is right there, the enterance in on Stockton. I do agree that since parking is so expensive unless for some very good reason I wouldn't have the car while staying in SF. But I love walking in SF and if needed I take a taxi. Have a wonderful visit! P.S. I sure agree with Stu, take the Golden Gate Bridge and avoid the Bay Bridge.
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 12:50 PM

Kalya,
I LOVE the Sonoma/Napa area, don't miss the Silverado Trail for a drive to catch alot of nice wineries. Sonoma is not far at all and worth the drive over,especially this time of year.
As far as SF goes, I would agree with the other folks who have posted here........forget the car. I have been staying at the Omni Hotel on California St. You can catch the cable car, or take a trip up to Nob Hill. It is close to everything, and yet still just far enough away.
The have complimentary walking tours on Sat.
It is close to Chinatown, North Beach and the Wharf Area.

I am not pluging this hotel perse, but I was very pleaseedwith my stay here and I would certainly recommend it. A fiend of mine told me to book a hotel on Hotwire.com, for a really good price, though I have never tried this.

Good luck and enjoy your stay.
Old Nov 16th, 2009, 04:04 PM

If memory serves me correct from our San Fran visit in August, self-parking next door to hotel is $33. Almost certain it's the same garage in which your car will be parked, if you valet.
Old Nov 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM
Original Poster

StuDudley,LoveItaly,ChicagoDallasGirl, brewski. Thank you all for suggestions/tips & convincing my husband to explore SF on-feet & public transportation. We'll go to certain areas w/ the car for the first 3 days. Weather forcast seem to be durable. We are set to go tomorrow. Now got to get some Zzz for an early flight.
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 10:30 AM

Is the Hyatt near the Westin St. Francis in Union Square? We are staying at the St. Francis in a couple weeks and I am also looking for parking information. I believe the hotel charges $50/day. Are the garages you all have been talking about near there as well or would you recommend other parking?
Old Dec 30th, 2009, 10:40 AM

Yes, the Grand Hyatt is near the Westin St. Francis. The Union Square garage is across the street, the Sutter-Stockton garage a couple of blocks in one direction, and the Ellis-O'Farrell garage a couple of blocks in the other direction.