Napa and/or Sonoma Honeymoon

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Napa and/or Sonoma Honeymoon

My fiance and I are planning on a n. cali honeymoon and welcome and tips, suggestions, "can't misses" on things to do in the area. We'll be traveling in late october 2004 and flying into san francisco.

Thanks!

Sharon
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 12:21 PM

We love Sonoma, and the Healdsburg area in particular.

Here's a great link: www.wineroad.com

Also, type Healdsburg or Sonoma or Napa in the search this forum box and you will get a lot of great information on the area and nice honeymoon spots.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 04:22 PM

You are going to have a great time! We got married in March and honeymooned in Napa. I wrote a review of the trip, if you scrolled back far enough you could probably find it but I thought I'd save you the time and copied it and pasted it here. We had such an amazing time, I am so jealous I want to be going back! Let me know if you have any specific question!

Message: A couple people had emailed me wanting to know how certain hotels/restaurnats/wineries after my trip, since I did post my itinerary earlier! However, I lost all those emails, so I hope those people just read this! This was my first time to Wine Country, and we cannot wait to go back. It was an amazing honeymoon! I hope this info helps, this board was really helpful for my planning!

Lodging: We stayed at the Villagio in Yountville for a couple nights. It was great, nicely located, the staff is friendly and the breakfast buffet is awesome! We were supposed to stay the next couple nights at The Lodge at Sonoma, and I was SO disapointed! I was under the impression it was on the plaza, but it is not! It was next to some power plant facility and across the street from a middle school. The rooms were so-so, and the location sucked. We left! We went back to Napa and ended up getting a fabulous last minute special at the Milliken Creek Inn. It was breathtaking, and we stayed in the least expensive room there. I think it is my favorite hotel/inn EVER. The rooms have such amazing little touches, the most comfortable beds, the bring in cookies and a fresh orchid for turndown service! The breakfast in bed and afternoon wine and cheese were delightful. The staff was also so friendly and wonderful. I could go on forever. Unfortunately, without the last minute special, it would have broke the bank. Next time I just have to save $$ for awhile, I guess! We are so lucky we left the Lodge at Sonoma!

Restaurants: We ate at Bistro Jeanty, Brix, and Celedon, and they were all great. The best meal we had during our stay was at a place called Postcino (I think that is how it is spelled). It just opened a couple weeks ago in downtown Napa. Best Italian EVER! Definately check it out! We also had made picnics from Oakville Grocery and Palasades Market, yummy sandwiches and stuff!

Wineries: We LOVED touring Cakebread and Jarvis, they were amazing. Other tours/tastings we liked were Del Dotto, Sterling and Pride. Did the Mondavi tour but honestly it was a bit boring.

Other: We also went to Copia, and it was very cool. Had a mud bath in Calistoga, and it was kinda weird. Went to the Jelly Belly factory in Fairfeild, definately worth seeing if you are a jelly head.

Lara

Old Apr 14th, 2004, 04:35 PM

My husband and I honeymooned in Napa and SF in September 2002. We stayed at the Adagio Inn in St. Helena http://www.adagioinn.com/ and it was great! They only have three rooms so it's very quait and the innkeepers are so nice and out of the way, unless you need them. Breakfasts were scrumptious on their deck outside. For dining, we ate at Terra and could walk to it from the inn. We also picked up various food items from different places (bread from the local bakery, olives from the olive oil compapny, etc..) and put together our own little picnic. Another fun stop is Taylor's Automatic Refresher - a drive up gourmet burger joint. You can get the usual burgers and shakes but also seared tuna burgers and wine! So much to do there... I want to go back! Have fun!
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 04:44 PM

Shazzy,

I proposed to my wife in Healdsburg, so I second Budman's vote for that town. It's in northern Sonoma, which is a bit less crowded and expensive than Napa.

Keep in mind that wine country is pretty spread out, so one thing to keep in mind is the relative distance from one another--a car will be essential.

One guidebook I found particularly helpful is Best Places Wine Country. It has candid reviews of restaurants, inns, and wineries, as well as tips for things to do.

We stayed at the Belle de Jour Inn in Healdsburg and loved it there. Check out their website at www.belledejourinn.com. There are only five rooms, which are more like semi-private cottages. We stayed in the Terrace Room, which had a two-person jaccuzzi in the room and a private deck out back with a pair of Adirondack chairs, perfect for stargazing. Tom, the innkeeper, can also take you on a private tour of local wineries in a vintage 1929 car (no kidding!)--it was lots of fun. We're not wine experts in the least, and it was good to have someone there with us to explain it all. The property also has some nice grounds, including a hammock we were happy to take advantage of. The only downside is that the inn doesn't serve breakfast in your room, so you are forced to make small talk with strangers. We're not a big fan of that, but otherwise had a great experience there. Tom and Brenda can also guide to you local wineries and restaurants. Among our favorite restaurants:

* Applewood Inn (Guerneville). We had a great meal there--I had a savory onion tart that I can still taste today. We also split some sort of chocolate-hazelnut tort that was unbelievable. Quite a ways out, but worth the effort. The chef is 6'5" tall!
* Madrona Manor. Lovely grounds; close to Belle de Jour. We sat outside on their heated patio. I had a tasting menu which I thought was a good deal.
* One night, we decided to pick up a pizza in town and brought it back to our room at the Inn. We sat outside on our adirondack chairs, split the most delicious pizza, and sipped champagne. I can't remember the name of the pizza place, but Tom and Brenda would know.

Good luck!
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 12:29 AM

I'd also like to suggest a trip to the Di Rosa Preserve in Sonoma. It's a tour (2 hours and docent led in a very small group) of a great collection of Bay Area modern art. They have a website. The tour is $10/person. You will need reservations. I'd also check out spa treatments in the town of Calistoga. There are many places but you might start with Indian Springs.

I prefer the wines and wineries of the Healdsburg area(Zins and Pinot Noirs).
Budman gave you a good stear with the wine road site.

I have some sad commentary on the Belle du Jour..it has always been a place I'd wanted to stay. We checked it out two years ago and the place is virtually surrounded by houses now!

Check out Healdsburg, Sonoma,Glen Ellen and Napa on this site and you'll be inundated with advice!

Happy Honeymooning.
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:35 AM

Budman has given you a good site
and OOH my yes Pam is so right!!
Gosh, with all that's happening in downtown Petaluma, (wonderful stuff!)I'm wondering if we should put our guest space up for rental-of course
FFF's stay free

R5
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:40 AM

No! No! where did that ~face~ come
from????????????
FFF's are alwasy welcome at
Casa Del Loco!
R5
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 01:43 AM

always welcome
...mea culpa
R5
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great tips! Now time to start planning...

sharon