N.O. trip please help fill in the blanks

Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
N.O. trip please help fill in the blanks

My husband and I are visiting N.O. for a weekend in Sept. We arrive Friday morning and are leaving Sunday night. We are staying at the Monteleone and want to try out authentic N.O. food (would like to skip out on most of the tourist restaurants and eat where the locals do). Would like to keep our lunches fairly cheap ($50 total) and go more expensive for the 2 dinners (no more than $150 w/out drinks) Here is what I have planned so far, please help fill in the blanks or give advise on changing or adding anything that is a "do not miss"!:

Friday-Breakfast-Cafe de Monde; Lunch-Acme Oyster Dinner-Commanders Palace Or Mulates (want to hear Zydeco music...other suggestions??)

Saturday- Breakfast-Petunias; Lunch-???
Dinner-Galatoire's or Brigstens or NOLA

Sunday-Breakfast-??(would like a place for a great Jazz Brunch; late Lunch-???

All your help is extremely appreciated! BTW I am from the South so Im looking more for Cajun/Creole (I need to research the difference) than Southern food unless there is someplace that does it like my grandma! LOL Looking forward to your replies
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 05:43 AM

I'm from Baton Rouge and visit New Orleans frequently so here's my 2 cents worth.

Remember that while Cafe de Monde is a must-do, they only serve coffee and beignets. I would have dinner at Mulates on Friday if you want to hear Zydeco (call ahead to get the details about the band that evening). I haven't been since Katrina but you really go there more for the casual cajun atmosphere than the food (mostly fried and highly seasoned from what I remember).

Try Johnny's Po-Boys in the Quarter for Saturday's lunch. They also serve a good breakfast.

If you try the Jazz Brunch at Commander's on Sunday, then I would go to NOLA Saturday night. You'll see a New Orleans classic and a newer New Orleans style Emeril restaurant which gets great reviews. Brigstens is very good but not close to the Quarter..you would need a cab. Since you're only there for a short time, I would concentrate in the Quarter with the exception of Commander's in the Garden District.

You may also want to post this on Trip-Advisor. There are several active New Orleanian experts on their forum.

And don't forget to call now for reservations at NOLA and Commander's.
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 09:22 AM

We like Cafe du Monde as a snack rather than a breakfast - and on our trips to New Orleans, we snack there often I like something a little more nutritious and less sugary to get me going in the mornings.

And I second the recommendation for Johnny's po-boys. So good. Another place we really like is Napoleon House - really good red beans and rice, boudin, po-boys, etc. The atmosphere is very cool as well and they have a nice little courtyard if you want to sit out.

Old Sep 4th, 2007, 10:09 AM

I just picked up the 2007 Zagat Survey.

The top 5 are:
Galatoire's
Bayona
Cafe du Monde
NOLA
Emeril's

There was a note that Commander's Palace reopened too late for the survey, but has been #1 for 17 years.

The top rating for food was:
August
Brigtsen's
Bayona
Stella!
Alberta
Cuvee

Top for breakfast is:
New Orleans Grill
Petunia's
7 on Fulton
Mother's
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 11:25 AM

I'm a native of N.O. and I would first like to THANK YOU for visiting! Now, on to some good eats...

For filling in your blanks:

BREAKFAST--my guests usually sleep through this meal, so might I suggest picking up some fruit at the french market to keep in your room or bringing along snack bars. ALSO, I agree that Cafe Du Monde not the best for breakfast. It's WAY too crowded in the morning anyway and is my favorite late-night, post-partying snack. But if you must go in the A.M. grab any open table you see, even if it hasn't been cleared yet. The waitstaff is usually very quick. (For take home goods, cross the street to CDM's gift shops Grandad's or Uncle Wilber's.) And last bfast tidbit, I am a fan of Le Madeline in Jackson Square (St. Ann at Chartes) it's got hot breakfast, pastries and pretty good coffee.

LUNCH--Central Grocery on Decatur for a Muffaletta; OR Port of Call for a big juicy burger (not very "authentic Nawlins," but a local fave; a short cab ride will get you to Elizabeth's in the Bywater for a fabulous hot plate lunch (and since Katrina they may be open now for dinner too, check http://www.elizabeths-restaurant.com for hours.) And of course there's Mother's on Poydras, but expect to wait in line for a while. For oysters, Acme is a convenient choice, however, the BEST charbroiled oysters are at DRAGO's at the Hilton Riverside (dragosrestaurant.com).

Dinner--VINCENT'S hands down is my favorite! It's resonably priced and while technically, it's "Italian," it's got N.O. flair. The Sourdough Breadbowl Crab and Corn Bisque is worth the trip Uptown (vincentsitaliancuisine.com). Also, I've heard mixed reviews on NOLA. I think Emeril's best is still his namesake in the Warehouse District. K-Paul's may be the better choice in the FQ.

I wish I had a great place for a Jazz Brunch, but all I can say is I've been to Hotel Intercontinental's and the Food and Music were great, but the hotel is not much to look at. Cafe Degas in MidCity has a great brunch, but minus the jazz. (cafedegas.com) And I hear that Palace Cafe does a great Jazz Brunch on Sundays, and I believe it since it's a Brennan's family rest.

OK, I think I've said MORE than enough..and now I'm hungry. I hope you have a great time--and remember if someone asks where you got your shoes, they're on your feet.