Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Myrtle Beach, SC: Is it crazy at Easter?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Tom

Anybody go to Myrtle Beach at Easter time this year?
What were the crowds like?
Should I not even consider this spot for Easter next year?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:55 AM
chuck

Tom,

Easter is not bad at all. This year Easter came a few weeks early, so perhaps it wasn't quite as crowded as usual. But even so, I have never found Easter to be crazy--certainly no comparison to the time period of Mid-June to mid-August.

In my opinion, the absolute best time to come is September and October--still very warm (both air and water temps) and virtually no crowds. Even Labor day is not really crowded.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 06:34 AM
Tom

Thanks for the response Chuck.
Family's talking about next Easter's vacation already!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:00 AM
pat

Tom, what is the date for Easter in 2003? I'm already thinking about Myrtle Beach for that time myself, but don't have the date. Let me know on this board. Thanks.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:46 AM
Tom

Pat:
Easter is April 20, 2003.
My kids are "tentatively" off the following week.
I've been reading this forum and am considering the Ocean Creek resort. Looks like one of the nicer places, but not as expensive as Kingston Plantation.
Have you been before? If so, where have you stayed?

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:14 AM
chuck

Tom,

my wife & I have stayed at both Ocean Creek and Kingston Plantation (approx. 3-4 years ago). Very similar resorts. While I would give the overall nod to KP, if there is a significant price advantage at Ocean Creek, I wouldn't hesitate to stay there.

One other benefit of both of these resorts is that they are far enough North of Myrtle Beach so that the crowds, such as they are in April, will be less of a problem. OC is actually in North Myrtle Beach across from Barefoot Landing (the forerunner to Broadway at the Beach).

If I can help by providing any other info, please let me know. I live here now (North Myrtle Beach), so I have picked up a few more things than when we simply vacationed here.

Have a great time!

P.S. If this year is any indication, late April should be excellent weather. This past weekend we were getting tanned on the beach and wading in the surf (a little cool, but warming up nicely).

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 02:12 PM
Tom

Chuck,
Thanks for the information.
Significant difference in price, especially if you want oceanfront for KP vs. Ocean Creek.
Was wondering if you could give me any more info about Barefoot Landing. I remember from our first visit Alligator Adventure. What else is there to do at Barefoot Landing? I've read that the Crab House there is a good restaurant. Whole family loves crab legs.
Thanks for anything else you may want to add!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 05:22 PM
kim

I'd opt for Broadway at the Beach instead of Barefoot Landing. There's a whole lot more stuff there; i.e., acquarium, mini-golf, Imax, Butterfly Pavilion, shops and dining galore.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 03:41 AM
Tom

Kim,
We would of course, visit Broadway at the Beach.
Broadway at the Beach is not located close to the ocean, correct?
This is why I had chosen to learn more about the Ocean Creek resort, and Barefoot Landing which is across the highway.
Do you know what's at Barefoot Landing?

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 05:22 AM
chuck

Tom,

You're correct that Broadway at the Beach is not really close to the ocean--about 1.5 to 2 miles I'd guess. But you'll be able to get to Broadway from OC in no more than 20-25 minutes on Bypass 17.

Barefoot Landing has several decent places. You mentioned Alligator Adventure, and I like that too. There's a House of Blues; T-Bonz (one of our favorite restaurants, especially at lunch--get a table looking out at the intracoastal waterway to view the boat traffic); Alabama Theater (mainly country acts); lots of outlet shops; Greg Norman's Australian Grill (very expensive but supposedly worth it--we haven't been brave enough to try); and a waterway (& ocean?--not sure exactly where they go) cruise on the Barefoot Princess.

Some of our favorite North Myrtle Beach restaurants are:

1. Duffy Street Seafood Shack (atmosphere is as the name suggests, food is much better, blues playing all the time, fun place)--the *new* location at corner of Main Street and Ocean Blvd; original location a few miles North in Cherry Grove, intersection of Sea Mountain Hiway & Duffy Street.
2. King's Famous Pizza--great pizza, just North of OC at 37th Avenue South on Business 17.
3. Marker 350--restaurant near Cherry Grove overlooking waterway (casual but nice, decent prices, one of the nicer restaurants in the area)
4. The Pale--in Ocean Drive section on Main Street; nice little pub where they know the correct way to pour a Guinness.

Also, one of the best things I've done here was take a ride in a 1940's era bi-plane. The company is called Classic Air Ventures (I think) and operates an orange bi-plane out of the North Myrtle Beach airport--From OC, turn right onto Business 17 and then left at the Hawaiian Rumble mini-golf. Great fun; two can ride for about $125. The operator goes to Key West in Winter, and he's not back yet (as of 4/15/02) but perhaps he'll be here later in April.

Old Apr 16th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Tom

Chuck:
Thanks again.
I printed out this thread to file away for next year.
Tom