Myrtle Beach in 2 weeks..help us please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 10:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I know I should go to Hilton Head instead, but we are not going to...we are staying at the Marriott Beach Resort at Grand dunes..the guys will golf some..the girls will shop(2 couples)...do we do the touristy stuff like Alligator Adventure(or whatever), see a show, etc. or do we just chill(we might if the weather doesn't cooperate), shop, laze around, etc. thinking that these sights are for families or people that haven't travelled that much?? Am i wrong? Ladies - suggestions for good shopping?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Just curious - what temps are you expecting at this time of year?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:56 AM
Original Poster

not high ones, that is for sure..we have had enough cold and snow here in Toronto..thought we would try something that may be more temperate
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:58 AM

Alligator Adventure is interesting and kind of repulsive. Although we went with our kids, I would go without them. I would love to go to Myrtle without kids. The beaches are quite beautiful. Lazing around has lots of appeal. Barefoot Landing and the other main shopping area whose name escapes me, have plenty of different shops and watering holes. Brookside Gardens or Brookhaven Gardens or some other Gardens with the word Brook in it is supposed to be very nice. My boss recommended a side trip there but we weren't able to fit it in. We have been in December (shirt sleeves during the day) and April (plenty hot). Hope you have good weather and a wonderul time.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

ooh, I am having second thoughts about going..if it is plenty hot in April, it must be acceptable in March...not beach or pool weather but certainly I will be able to remove my mitts, boots and parka, ha,ha?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 03:35 PM
mwoysh

There are two outlet malls nearby with some great stores. There are also shows to see. There is so much to do in Myrtle. My family has been going there every year for the past 13 years. We love it! The Marriott is lovely. We visited it last year to see if we wanted to purchase a timeshare. It's a great place. You should have a great time! Have fun!

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:25 AM
GoTravel

Weather in mid March should have daytime highs of mid 70s but March weather is a crapshoot. It could be 55 and it could be 85 degrees.

Tons to do. I spent a week there last spring on a motorcycle and rode just about every inch of the Grand Strand.

The Marriott is brand new and beautiful.

I highly suggest a day trip to Charleston.

It is very possible you may have some nice days at the pool.

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:29 AM

horatio,

my wife is the shopping expert, but as her chauffeur I notice a few trends.

As for fairly typical shopping, there are two major outlets, both called Tanger (one is at the intersection of Highway 22 and Highway 17 in between MB and NMB; the other is on Highway 501, just west of its intersection with Highway 31). There is an older mall (on Highway 17, just north of the 1st Tanger mentioned above) and a new mall (on Highway 17 by-pass, just past its intersection with Highway 501).

As for somewhat atypical shopping, try Barefoot Landing or Broadway at the Beach (better, newer).

A few places my wife really likes, on the beaten path but mostly overlooked by visitors:

Palmetto Studios (home furnishings, art, unusual accessories--it's in the heart of MB, take Highway 17 (a/k/a Kings Highway) south to the Pavilion area, bear right following the signs for Highway 501; just after you make that split, it's on your left, parking is on the street)

Froo Froo Boutique (exactly what it sounds like IMHO--in the Bi-Lo shopping center at 38th Avenue North and Highway 17 by-pass)

Ooh La La (shoe store; just down the street from where you're staying; on Kings Highway, on the left, a block or two below 76th Avenue North).

Studio 77 and Kitchen Capers (next to each other on Kings Highway, on your right at about 50th Avenue North)

If you get to Conway (about 15 minutes west of the Tanger outlets on Highway 501; bear right and stay on Business 501 just past the colleges on the left), there are some cool shops there right downtown, just park anywhere near the first traffic light after you cross the bridge into town; especially Bodega (another kitchen shop) and Blackwater Gallery (folk art).

Finally, if you get down toward Pawley's Island, which you definitely should, try: (1) the Hammocks Shops, especially Island Shoes (there you'll be able to say hello to a good portion of our money); (2) several shops across the street, just to the south of Hammock Shops--the names escape me, but there are at least two clothing stores that my wife has pronounced extremely cool, and one accessories shop she likes.

Finally (but this time I really mean it), Shaz60 was trying to steer you toward Brookgreen Gardens, which are great--on Highway 17, on the right, between Surfside and Pawleys Island.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 08:49 AM

oops! Palmetto Studios will be on your RIGHT (not the left).
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

thank you, thank you, thank you!