Reload this Page >

My last Oahu ?---I promise!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:02 AM
iceeu2

Ok...I promise this MAY be the last time I bug all of y'all.

Car on Oahu? Staying in Waikiki from 14th-19th..So 4 full days. We had planned to only rent a car for a day or 2 and ride the bus and cabs the rest of the time.

Well, checking rental rates, it seems by the time we pay our cab far to and from the airport, buy bus passes for 4 days and a rental car for a couple of days...we would not spend that much more to rent a car for the entire period...

I figure by the time we rent the car, buy gas and pay parking fees, we will only be out another $100 max.

So...........do we need a car the entire time or not?

And...nobody has answered me about dining at Nick's Fishmarket...the coupon in the entertainment book is like for a $28 discount.

That's 2 more questions right? Aha....aha...

Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you've already answered your question about the car. Might as well keep it. Does your hotel charge for parking?

Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM
iceeu2

yepper, it charges a hefty $14/daily for self parking and $19/daily for valet...

Guess, I did answer myself, just need someone to say..."Well, you can drive in this city" or..."Grief, we don't need more idiots like you that ask senseless, repeated questions clogging up our roads"

So, who's going to answer me about Nick's?

Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:57 AM

I always prefer a car because of the freedom it allows.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 11:15 AM

Hi iceeu2,

I didn't eat at Nick's so can't answer you there. We were in Waikiki for 4 nights and on the North Shore for 3 nights. We rented our car for the whole time for the same reason - it was cheaper to get a weekly rental and pay the 4 nights of parking fees at the hotel, than to get it for only the North shore portion as the weekly rate is better than the daily and it gets you past the airport transfers.

Driving is quite easy there. The only thing we found confusing was finding our way from Waikiki to the highway to get to Hanuama Bay. The map only showed the exits from the highway and not the onramps - and in some areas, the onramps are only in one direction.

We found it useful having a car in Waikiki - that way we could go to the Ala Moana shopping centre, the Aquarium, Leonard's, Hanauma Bay, etc without having to wait for cabs or buses - it provided some extra freedom for us.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:02 PM

I love Nick's Fishmarket. The service is awesome, the food is awesome, the restaurant is very upscale inside. The only negative I can think of is that the place doesn't have a view. That coupon you have is a keeper, so I'd go4it.

Rent the car. By the time you pay for everything else you might as well. I don't know how much you want to be out and about, but having a car at your disposal any time you want it will be a nice option for only a little more money. Besides, if you fall in love with a certain place like Kailua Beach it will be easy to get there any time you feel like it!

Sesamee

Sesamee
Old May 3rd, 2005, 06:45 AM

Even though you pretty much don't need a car for all of your activities since they come pick you up or you can take the bus, I always rent a car because it's just SO much more convenient. I just love driving around the other side of the island! I like going to eat at some of the amazing places in Honolulu, which you pretty much can't get to unless you have a car. And I agree with Sesamee about going to Kailua Beach. Awesome place!!

We didn't like Nick's that much, but hey, if you have a coupon, I'd go for it!
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:34 AM

To my eye, Nick's is the older dark interior, a little stiff but a place to go if a couple is going to be engaged in quiet conversation and looking into each others' eyes, that kind of thing, and paying the price to boot.

There are places, such as Chai's, that have interesting food, contemporary Hawaiian music (which you should mute by sitting half-in, half-out, and surrounding attractions that appeal to me more.
Old May 4th, 2005, 04:00 AM
iceeu2

PPC, how do you sit half-in, half-out?

Old May 4th, 2005, 08:45 AM

I vote for car rental...instead of sitting & waiting on and off the buses, you'll have more quality time in paradise. A lot more freedom, and like you said, balances out after cab and shuttle fares.
Old May 4th, 2005, 09:03 AM
bonniebroad

iceeu2, I would definitely rent the car! As for Nick's, the only bad thing I've ever heard about the place is that you don't have the view. When I go to Hawaii, I WANT the view ... and to eat seafood outside with my Mai Tais, yadda, yadda. There are many places much nearer to home where I can eat in excellent, dark, cozy Italian restaurants. JMHO, but that's not what I go to Hawaii for, no matter how good the deal ...

Old May 4th, 2005, 11:55 AM
iceeu2

Oh wow, bb, I thought Nick's Fishmarket was seafood..oops.....well, now how about these 3 places then for dinner?

Hau Tree Lanai
Roy's- Hawaii Kai or KoOlina?
Chais Island Bistro
A.N. Other

Old May 4th, 2005, 12:03 PM

Roy's Ko'Olina is on a golf course and about 40 mins from HNL, depending on traffic. You can visit the Ihilani hotel afterwards or stroll the beaches.

Roy's Hawaii Kai is located in a business center just outside of Oahu with outdoor seating. If you choose this Roy's you may also want to do the scenic drive around Hanauma Bay.

Have eaten at both and were very good, just depends on which location you prefer.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:08 PM
bonniebroad

iceeu2, I"m sorry!!! I was confusing Nick's with another restaurant, an Italian one!!!!!! What a fog I'm in today........ Now gotta go look up the one I MEANT to talk about!

Old May 4th, 2005, 12:12 PM
bonniebroad

Okay.......... I was talking about Matteo's. WHY I confused the two is beyond me! Sorry....

Old May 4th, 2005, 12:30 PM

Forget all those places! Go to one of the L & L's!!
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:38 PM

My family ate at Nick's Fishmarket and used the coupon too! It "is" dark with no view, but we enjoyed the food and had a good time. I recommend it.

As for a car, I found it gave us a freedom of movement that was important for us as a family. We took The Bus one day and my daughter complained during the entire ride because she hated all the stops/starts. Naturally, one's miles will vary.

Cats
Old May 4th, 2005, 02:55 PM
iceeu2

Do both Roy's have views?

Old May 4th, 2005, 07:46 PM

We've dined at Roy's Hawaii Kai (and others in CA) and this was by far the noisiest place we've ever been in. There is a view of the water across the street from the enclosed second story dining room.
The next night we went to Hau Tree Lani, and had the best sunset dinner outdoors on the beach, took a cab from our hotel.
Sometimes we rent a car for the whole time on Oahu, but the last couple times we only rented for a 24 hour period because we were just there for 3-4 days, and like Waikiki.
8-)
Old May 4th, 2005, 07:56 PM

I agree on Roys. Sit outside if you want to hear each other talk. Or inside if the view will be more interesting than listening to M iceeu2!

Hau tree Lanai is a great sunset viewing spot. We often take friends from the mainland here.

see you on the 18th!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -