Must see in LA?

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:40 PM
Matt

Must see in LA?

I will be returning from a 2 week honeymoon in Tahiti and will be in LA (Grafton on Sunset Hotel) for 2 days. Can someone tell me the things I should not miss?

Thanks

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:42 PM
James

The Getty Museum!!!! I'm not much of a museum/art gallery person, however, the Getty Museum is one of the greatest "attractions" I've ever visited in my life. It's completely free to get in (you pay $5 for parking, and you have to make parking reservations). You ride a train up the side of the hill and the museum is located on top, with a view out over the Los Angeles basin (usually the smog precludes you seeing too far however). The collections are massive, and the architecture is stunning.

I also think that you should drive out to Santa Monica. The park above the ocean is beautiful and the pier is interesting.

Venice Beach is a very eclectic mix of people. Muscle guys (and girls), stoners, skaters, families, surfers, etc all congregate along the beach and the retail strip and rollerblading path beside the beach.

I also think LA is too vast and diverse to have too many "must see" destinations. Some people might say Mann's Chinese Theater. But, if you've seen the pictures, the real life thing is pretty much the same. Same thing with the Walk of Fame.

What kind of things are you interested in? Museums? Shopping? "Sightseeing"? Ethnic neighborhoods? Mansions-type houses? Parks?

I also think a drive through Beverly Hills is quite interesting. The City Hall is beautiful, and Rodeo Drive is fairly well-known and the collection of high-end stores is second to none.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:10 PM
jvs

James gives probebly the best answer. The Getty is the best thing to see..although an exquisite facility...the contents of it are unremarkable(such is LA). The best thing LA has to offer is sun and relaxation. Take advantage of both. Have fun.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Vanessa

A drive up to the Griffith Park Observatory is worthwhile for great views of the City.

I agree the Getty Museum is a must-see; nothing else like it in all of L.A., and there are cool views from up there as well.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 02:30 PM
sandy

Take a drive through Bev.Hills and check out the homes. Drive all the way down Sunset Blvd. to Malibu. Stroll down the Sunset Strip and just people watch. Your hotel is in a great location for this. The Getty is truly amazing but you may a little tired after a 2 week vacation, you do need to cover a lot of ground at the Getty. Best of luck to you .

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 11:05 AM
James

I have visited the Griffith Observatory and would recommend it, but I understand that it is closed until 2005 for some MAJOR renovations. (http://www.griffithobs.org/)

Also, while I agree that the Getty is large, you can easily just choose to only look at a small portion or relax in the gardens. After all, it's FREE!!!! hehe

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:17 PM
michele

Griffith is being renovated and is closed right now.

I love the art deco tours of downtown LA plus Olvera Street.I would also suggest the cathedral. If architecture interests you try the Los Angeles Conservancy's website. They offer good walking tours at reasonable rates.If you are a movie fan Grauman's Chinese theatre (footprints) is worth visiting.