Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for first time cruise destination?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 08:58 AM
sue

We are a couple in late 40's, mid 50's and looking for a nice destination for a first time cruise. This to try out cruising before biting the bullet (bucks wise and time wise)in a couple of years and trying for Alaska. We like relaxing, snorkeling, and new experiences. I like nice, but don't need snooty. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Sue

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:04 AM
pam

You may try a 3-4 day cruise to 'test the waters.". Some people like Carnival and some hate it. Depends on your likes and dislikes. I like Celebrity, Princess. Try posting under cruises for info.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:08 AM
Jennifer

You should post this in the cruise forum. I personally would suggest Royal Caribbean. I've always enjoyed RCCL cruises. Also look at websites to decide if you want an eastern, western, or southern Caribbean itinerary. For a first cruise I would probably suggest an itinerary with a lot of ports. Good luck!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:43 AM

Went to Alaska last summer...where all the cruise ships stop. If you enjoy fantastic mountainous scenery, small towns (very rural) and lots of wildlife, you will like it. Great as a getaway for people from metropolitan areas who like to get away from it all. Also in S.W. Alaska it rains Alot!

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 09:51 AM
j

go to cruiseaddict.com or cruisecritic.com
lots of detailed info about all lines.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:54 AM
sue

Thanks all, I have found the cruise forum and will roam there for good info.

Sue

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Polly

Try one of Celebrity's cruises to Bermuda. We liked it because it's a one destination cruise where the ship is your hotel once you reach Bermuda. There is ample time going and coming back to relax and be pampered. And Bermuda is a good place for snorkeling.