Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Must-do items for 3 day Charleston trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are spending 3 days in Savannah, then 3 days in Charleston. We have booked a Deluxe room at the Vendue Inn in Charleston. What should we make our priorities in only 3 days? We'll have a car, but I'm wondering whether we should do a plantation (Middleton) or stick to the historical district?

Barb
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 08:30 AM

Personally I would cut Savannah by a day. Middleton is our favorite plantation. The Vendue is very nice.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 03:21 PM
GoTravel

A must is Bob Ellis Shoes on King Street.

Old Aug 11th, 2003, 01:37 PM

The Museum of Charleston is nice. I like just walking along the Battery and in the historic district and seeing a few of the houses that are open.

The food is great just about anywhere; recommend Poogan's Porch for breakfast. Check out the pralines at the candy shop on the left side of the marketplace. They give you a free sample, which should tell you something.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:03 AM

Take a guided walking tour. The hotel could arrange one for you. The tours are entertaining and highly educational and will take you into little nooks and crannies of the historic district you would probably miss otherwise.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 05:23 AM
RLA

Just be aware - we visited Middleton last year around Sept. 9 and it got too hot to enjoy it while walking the grounds which is mostly what you do there.(and extensively I might add) There was no color at that time, so things just looked hot and dry, not lush and green like in advertisements. It would be much more worth it when the azaleias and other color are blooming. The living quarters are minimal since most of it burnt down. Our tour guide was quiet unpleasant at the very least. They literally confiscate your cameras before you go inside, and she did not hesitate to pause during the tour and challenge someone as to whether they had a camera in thier hand. Turned out she was wrong. No apologies. Other than that, I would recommend it in Spring only. Many say it does not meet expectations. Sav/Chas are a real treat.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 07:04 PM
em

My husband and I were there in the spring and enjoyed a visit to Patriot's Point/USS Yorktown. There are also wonderful art galleries in Charleston.
If you have time, you might want to visit Beaufort...location for filming of The Big Chill.