Charleston, SC and Savannah

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2009, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a trip the end of Oct. for about one week. Can you help with lodging and itinerary suggestions for both these areas. We love the outdoors, history and golf.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 03:28 AM

Re: Charleston, SC--If this is your first visit, I'd recommend doing a carriage tour. This will give you an overview of the downtown area. If you're interested in learning about Gullah, Alfonso Brown does a Gullah tour most days (google his name).

Another option for tours if you have an iphone and/or itouch is CitySlickers. They've put together a walking tour of downtown Charleston for your phone. I'll be testing this out in November.

Golf: There are about 19 different courses in and around Charleston. For a memorable round, try the Ocean Course on Kiawah Island. It's not cheap but well worth it (just be sure and pack lots of balls. The ocean breezes can be brutal on your game).
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 04:09 AM

RE: Charleston. I agree. The carriage tour will help you get your bearings. Do a search to see what restaurants you want to visit-make sure you try shrimp and grits. Take the ferry to Ft. Sumter.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 12:41 PM

There are a lot of recent posts on this forum about Savannah and Charleston, including suggested places to stay and sightseeing options.

Have stayed at the Planter's Inn in Savannah and the Best Western King Charles Inn in Charleston and liked both very much for their central location and quality of accommodations for the price.
Old Oct 11th, 2009, 02:56 PM

When I saw your request I signed up on Fodor just to answer you and recommend the French Market Inn as a place to stay in Charleston. It's wonderful. You will be near the City Market, can walk many places of interest. You'll have coffee available all day, breakfast, cookies and milk later and wine and cheese at 5 PM. Only one meal to buy unless you want to experience more restaurants in Charleston. The staff is super, everything the best. Ask for a special deal.
Charleston is fabulous. Take a walking tour. Or, just meander. Take some side streets and do be sure to see one of the museums, like the Gibbs, or museum houses.
Not much disappoints in Charleston. Also, Savannah offers a lot of the same, and see Beaufort on the way down if you are driving.
Have a wonderful time.