must do in south beach?

Search

must do in south beach?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 06:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
must do in south beach?

My husband and I will be going to south beach for an adult holiday and I want to do everything that's a must do in south beach. ie. best cocktail, great restaurants (not too pricey..less that $100 for 2), best people watching etc... what do you fodorites recommend?
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:28 AM

Best cocktails: Lobby bar, Delano Hotel. Nikki Beach Club. SkyBar.

Great restaurants at $100 per couple (including drinks)? That's a toughie. South Beach is relatively expensive (but not astronomically so). I can't think of romantic places that are that cheap. Right at that price point, maybe Grillfish. For $100/person, Wish. Up in Coral Gables, many on this board rave about Norman's. Another poster, GoTravel, will have better suggestions, I'm sure.

Best people-watching: Lincoln Road Mall. Outside seating at News Café. Well, any outside bar/café on Ocean Drive.

For the latest news about South Beach entertainment, you can consult this site:

http://www.southbeach-usa.com
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:28 AM
GoTravel

Restaurants can be pricey in South Beach. Think NYC prices. For really good restaurants, you'll pay $100 per person but you can eat out and not spend that. Jerry's Deli, David's II, and the Rascal House (North Miami Beach) are all excellent and reasonable.

Must do's: Mojitos at the outside bar at The Delano.

People watching in the lobby (stunning) of The Delano.

Mojitos at the rooftop pool at The Hotel. Stunning view.

http://thehotelofsouthbeach.com/photogallery.htm#

The Sky Bar at The Shore Club, Mansion, and Mynt are good places to see celebs. Also, Rumi, The Forge, and JimmyZs.

The beach.

Nightclubs are $$$$$. Tables require a one bottle minimum and bottles start around $250. Not to mention cover charges can run up to $50.

Nikki Beach is fun but is getting kind of tired.

Walk into hotel lobbies. One of the most fun things to do is to check out all of the hotels. Front porches and hotel lobbies are all either bars and/or restaurants.

News Cafe is an excellent place to people watch on Ocean Drive.

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 07:30 AM
GoTravel

lawsy rj, we just need to have one stock answer for the South Beach questions from the both of us! LOL!

We answered at the same time almost with the same answers.

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 08:13 AM

Go, you're spot-on with the recos as always! And you're right, we can pretty much "cut-and-paste" our responses any more...!

RE: Getting into the clubs (and yeah, Nikki Beach Club's days were numbered as soon as E! started featuring it in its "Wild On..." programs). Your prices for cover and table service are right. A good way to ameliorate the cover charge is to work with the hotel concierge. They can work on getting you on guest lists or getting you VIP passes, which often makes the cover $0. Yay! Also, if you want to go into a club and they have a website, they often offer guest list signups for special events. Another option.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 08:34 AM

Been years since I have been to South Beach (Super Bowl 1998 Denver Broncos/Green Bay Packers), but I remember the neat little store that sat right up on the beach side that sold Art Deco books & souvenirs. Interesting shop to find out more about the art deco scene in Miami. There are also tours available. Art Deco IS Miami!

GT - Is the Delano restaurant/club still owned by Madonna? Just curious - and yes, it was an outstanding place to see and visit. We ate lunch outside at the restaurant.

Have a blast, meesa. There is always plenty to see and do. We also found it hauntingly interesting to see Versace's 'palace' - we were there the year he was murdered and there were many memorials placed just outside the hallowed gates. Also saw a great fashion shoot right on the street of some really hot models (a guy and a girl), nearly naked and on a motorcycle. I took as good a picture as did the professional photographer, I'm sure! hehehehe
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 09:03 AM

The gift store you're referring to, Paul, is run by the Miami Design Preservation League (mdpl.org) and is at Ocean and 10th. Tiny storefront, but they'll give you all the info you could want about Miami Deco.

I don't think Madonna has financial interests at the Delano any more, but I could be wrong. The Blue Door is still a destination eatery, but the food can be hit-and-miss. Wish is so much more consistent, if you can handle Italian-Vietnamese fusion cuisine (the new executive chef, Michael Bloise, is outstanding).
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Interesting, and thanks rjw. I can picture myself at Ocean & 10th right now! Ahhhh ...pure bliss!

-Although, back to reality, I am looking out my window at several inches of snow here in MI.

Never hurts to dream.
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 10:29 AM
GoTravel

rj, just found out last week that my in laws spent their honeymoon at The Chelsea Hotel on Washington in 1954! They were blown away that the hotel is still there and they want me to book a trip back for them. I thought that was neat.

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 12:35 PM

Go, that is so cool! And the Chelsea is actually a kinda cute little hotel-- laid-back, almost Caribbean vibe when you walk past, especially when some Beautiful People are hanging out in the little lobby bar. That's a neat idea to stay there 50 years later. Hope they like it!