Moving to St. Louis

May 9th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Moving to St. Louis

Help! There is a strong chance we will be relocating to St. Louis within the next couple of months. In the area what is the BEST town to be in with two grammar school aged children aged 6 & 9, likes lots of activites, soccer, tennis, swimming, golf, etc and have two dogs. Any help would be greatly appreciated--towns that have come up--Ladue, Kirkwood and Frontenac. Do most kids go to public or private schools? We are relocating from So.Fl.
May 9th, 2005, 05:06 PM

We have family with young kids in University City; they go to private schools. We house hunted at one point in Ladue. I love Kirkwood; and I also have friends in Town and Country and Chesterfield. Good luck!
May 9th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Ladue and Frontenac are two of the nicest and most expensive suburbs in St. Louis. Most houses are $500K+ and in St. Louis that gets you a lot. The only downside is that these areas are a lot of old money and thus old people. Ladue public schools are very good but there are also a lot of very good and expensive private schools in the area.

Kirkwood is also very nice and features a greater range of housing prices and people. Houses in Kirkwood can vary from $150K to $1mil+. Kirkwood also has a greater range of ages with a lot of young wealthy families moving there. The schools are also very good in both academics and sports.

Town&Country and Chesterfield are further out. Lots of middle to upper class families with good schools in the Parkway and Rockwood districts. Not as many private schools in that area.
May 9th, 2005, 07:59 PM

What kind of school are your kids in now? And did you or your husband attend private schools? There are people in St. Louis who think that private school is the only way to go. These are often people who attended private schools themselves.

It will be almost impossible to get a child into private school for 2005-06 school year at this late date. I think parochial schools would be easier for admissions.

We lived in U. City for 14 years and sent kids to private elementary schools. Moved to Olivette to attend Ladue School District schools. Olivette is not "old money"

Ladue school district is made up of all or parts of 9 different municipalities: Creve Coeur, Crystal Lake Park, Frontenac, Huntleigh Village, Ladue, Olivette, Richmond Heights, Town & Country, and Westwood. Most kids who live in Ladue itself attend private schools, only about 35% of those children living in 63124 attend public school.

I agree with Dweebe on Kirkwood, lots of nice affordable homes with a good school district. We are not there because Kirkwood does not have much of a Jewish community.

You do need to look in Clayton. We did not buy there because every house we looked at was only slightly larger than our UCity house for at least $150-200k more, and needed work. It was just a difficult trade-off for us, and we finally decided to do Ladue instead.Everyone I know who has a child in Clayton elementary schools is very happy with the community and the education.

My husband and I do have a pact to move back to Ucity when kids graduate from HS (except those housing prices have gone through the roof recently)
May 9th, 2005, 11:47 PM

I forgot that Olivette includes the Ladue school district. Anyone I know that lived in the actual city of Ladue went to a private school. I'm not sure why since they're always at the top in scores and college admissions.

Olivette has a decent range of housing and might be a good idea right now. I seem to notice a lot more tear-downs in that area. (Tear down a 1000 sq ft, 40 year old home and replace it with a new 2000+ sq ft one.)

I live in Clayton and the houses are way overpriced. Having the 63105 zip code is a 10 to 25% mark up.
May 10th, 2005, 09:23 AM

There are some really great neighborhoods in St. Louis. It is a very family friendly town. Here are a few of my top picks. I grew up there and have family all over the area.

Kirkwood/Webster Groves/Sunset Hills - All close by each other and nice areas. Lots of great old buildings, good schools, lots of green area. Disadvantage is that it is further south so depending on where you will be working/commuting to it could be a bit of a drive. It is close to downtown so that is a nice perk.

St. Louis Hills -
Is the safest area in the city of St. Louis. Great old brick homes with pretty yards and parks nearby. It is the prettiest area in the city. A lot of police try to buy homes in this area because they have to live in the "city" but it is a really great place to raise a family.

St. Peters -
This area is one of the fastest growing areas in St. Louis. It is across the river from St. Louis to the west but is a wonderful community full of younger familes and new homes. It is about a 30-45 minute drive into downtown so depending on working area may be a little bit of a commute. There are now 4 bridges that cross into St. Louis from this area so traffic has improved immensely. You can get a little more for your money here.

I am not a big fan of Chesterfield, Ladue, or Clayton. It is personal but they are overpriced and tend to be a little snooty. Don't want to offend anyone that lives there, but just my opinion.

Hope that helps! In terms of school it depends on the area if mostly private or public. The ones I listed above are a combination of both. there are some great schools so check around.
May 10th, 2005, 12:56 PM

If your husband is getting a job downtown Webster/Kirkwood/Sunset Hills might be a good idea because traffic on I-44 flows very good. Plus later this decade Hwy 40/I-64 will be totally rebuilt from midtown in the City all the way out to Frontenac: that will not be fun.

St. Peters has tons of families and activities. However it's very very very white. I had two friends who moved their families out there: one black, one hispanic. Both moved out after less than two years because of harrasment from the police and frosty relations with their neighbors. Plus some of the schools out there have some crowding problems.
May 16th, 2005, 03:42 PM

If you're considering a private school, you might want to check out the website for New City School...very innovative teaching and an excellent program. It's located in STL...close to many good neighborhoods, including the central west end and U City. With children, I've found that deciding on the school first can be of help.