Birmingham relocation

Search

Birmingham relocation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birmingham relocation

Hello, Just read all the posts on things to do in Birmingham. From my reading it seems that upscale neighborhoods with good schools are Mountain Brook and Homewood. Is that right? We now live in Germantown in Memphis, TN and are looking for a similar suburban family existence. We have three little boys. Any ideas for nice suburban neighborhoods with good schools and relatively new homes would be great. I've heard there are beautiful homes on lakes and such in Birmingham. Any advice on where to start with a realtor would be much appreciated. Also, does anyone know anything about the private schools in B'ham? Montessori? Thanks again.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 12:26 PM

Why not go to the Birmingham Association of Realtors web site? That's a start.
John
Jackson, TN
(Ex-realtor)
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 12:40 PM

The Hoover area is one of the best. They definitely take excellent care of the kids regarding school, etc.. I have nieces and 2nd cousins in that system. My cousin moved from san Diego to Hooves and has been very pleased with the "upgrade" in school systems as compared to what her kids attended in Cali.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:55 PM

I grew up in Mountain Brook and attended the Montessori, about 24 years ago. It was amazing. I still remember classmates, activities we did, what the clasroom looked like, etc. I had so much fun and was speaking Spanish, dividing, writing poetry, and reading at a high level at 6 years old. We moved to FL and public school was a disaster. But the neighborhood we were in was not so nice back in 1976 and we got a huge house for about $30,000. It got robbed several times and we did alot of work on it over the years. We loved it so much, my sister and I have driven over to it several times in the past and the people who live there now know us when we show up. The area is now VERY nice and that house is now a Historical Site and probably worth well over $150,000 I am guessing...I think it is beautiful, with the parks, the symphony, museums, botanical gardens. I thought it was a great place to grow up. I have always been very disappointed we moved.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 06:57 PM

I now live in Montgomery, about an hour south of B'ham but lived in B'ham years ago. Ditto the positive comments posted by others. It's a great southern city with much to offer in the way of activities. The Mountain Brook school system is the premier one in all of Alabama, and very few people who live in that system elect to pay for private schools. Mtn. Brook has lovely and stately old homes as well as new construction in a variety of price ranges. For smaller homes (i.e.: cheaper....though nothing there can really be described as cheap!), try the Crestline area. It has a great little neighborhood elementary school. The area near Mountain Brook high school has some new construction. Nearby, but in the Shelby County school system (I think....please correct me if I'm wrong!) is a beautiful new planned community called Liberty Park. It's got great schools and is an overall beautiful area. Another pricey but lovely area is Greystone. If you decide to persue private schools, check out Advent School, Highlands Day School, and Altamont. All have excellent reputations. Good Luck!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:14 PM

Oops. I stand corrected on my earlier post. Liberty Park is in the Vestavia Hills school system. You might want to check out this link to search the Birmingham MLS website. http://www.home-info.net/search/search.htm
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 07:21 PM

mpmgm, don't worry too much about the accuracy of your reply -- the original post appeared 6 weeks ago and the poster apparently hasn't been back to Fodors since. If you really want to help her out, perhaps you could e-mail the info.
Old Apr 13th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Hi and thanks for the helpful replies. I have had trouble logging on to this site for some reason - I didn't forget about my question, believe me! That website was very helpful. I've done a little more research and was wondering if anyone has heard of Mt. Laurel. It's a new planned community and sounds interesting. ALl I've heard about B'ham is how absolutely awful the traffic is! I'm dreading that!
Old Apr 20th, 2004, 03:36 PM

MtLauel is a quaint little community that is going to have a school (not sure if just elementary) soon. It is a good ways from town and is also down the dreaded 280 Hwy. Other than 280 and sometimes I-65 the traffic is not that bad. You probably would not have to deal with traffic in Homewood or Mt Brooke. I agree that you should check out Libery Park. I think it would fit the bill and everyone seems to love it. Also, there are some new planned communities in Hoover. I wish I could remember the name of the new community that is off of Hwy 150. I have a co-worker that has a 5 yr old daughter, and they love the neighborhood, parks, and community activities.
RealtySouth is the big realestate company.
As far as private schools, Briarwood also has an excellent reputation.