Reload this Page >

Re:posters telling others not to visit a location

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:10 AM
andrea

Dear all,<BR>I think people posting to this site should refrain from telling others not to visit a particular island. For example, the recent posting by someone telling others not to visit Jamaica.<BR><BR>Keep in mind that people have bad experiences no matter where they travel. Also, many poor countries will have locals soliciting you upon your visit there.<BR><BR>As for the traveler who visited Jamaica and commented that there were people on the street instead of working or in school....what do you expect in countries where the unemployment levels are pushing 40-50%?<BR><BR>Us folks living in rich countries like the U.S. should be greatful that unemployment levels do not jump over the 6-7% mark. Around the era of the great depression in the U.S., there were many Americans in the Streets and lined up at soup kitchens for a handout.<BR><BR>We should all think carefully prior to posting judgments of a particular country. Granted, I'm not saying you should not post your bad experiences. Please do since it's nice to hear the good and bad....but pleeeease refrain from passing subjective judgments about cultures you know little about.<BR>Regards, Andrea.<BR>PS: in the future, we should all not respond to some of these messages, that way they will sink to the bottom of the board.

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Zoe

Andrea-Well said. Thank you. I popped off myself abt. poverty in St. Thomas. I stand corrected.

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:34 AM
Erin

So if a student is out on the streets instead of being in a clasroom he is considered unemployed? Not where I come from. It's called truancy. My father and mother were in school during the great depression and despite being poor still went to school.

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:36 AM
xx

did you ever think maybe they are on school break!

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:44 AM
Hello Ignorant

Erin,<BR><BR>Yow...talk about uninformed. DO you have any idea what it costs to send a child to school in Jamaica? The families must pay for the schooling, the uniforms, the supplies...and the incomes of these familes barely covers daily life, let alone sending a couple of kids to school. I've met families who do without essential necessities just to be able to get their kids an education.<BR><BR>Last I checked, public schools in the US are free (outside of tax money) to attend...and I believe it was the same the Great Depression.<BR><BR>Perhaps you ought to consider the privilege of being "where you come from" before you make such an ignorant comment.<BR><BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:01 AM
Erin

xxx<BR><BR>Well exactly how much is it to send kids to school in Jamaica? You seem to know...please let us know then we can make an informed decision on this matter.<BR><BR>Boy, after hearing you people talk about Jamaica I'm ready to run out to my TA and book a vacation. Sounds like a great place to travel!

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:11 AM
Bob

Hello Igmorant<BR><BR>"Last I checked, public schools in the US are free (outside of tax money)"<BR><BR>I can only say anyone who makes a statement like this deserves to be addressed by your chosen name.<BR><BR>Oh yes, tax payments don't count as real money. Right! DUH! What kind of education do you have? Let me guess, you're in college, majoring in philosophy, support anti-globilisation and haven't paid over $1000.00 dollars in taxes in your entire life.<BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:13 AM
lisa

erin why don't you just let it go.<BR>and you probably won't like jamaica anyway, don't bother booking the trip. there are plenty of other places in the caribbean that are richer, cleaner and sheltered from reality if that's what you want.

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:33 AM
oh bob...

yoo-hoo!! bob!!! come on back down, Bob!!<BR><BR>I believe the poster meant that in order to attend public school in US, tuition isn't necessary...not that tax money isn't real money.<BR><BR>And, before you freak out again---I actually have a Master's degree and have been paying taxes for 14 years, unlike you, who probably found yourself a nice little tax shelter. Enron-like, perhaps?<BR><BR>Speak not of what you know zero about, Bob-o. <BR><BR>And Erin...stay the hell home you ignorant fool. Although I doubt they want you there either!

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Erin

Lisa<BR><BR>"you probably won't like jamaica anyway"<BR><BR>No, you think so Lisa? I thought I would work real hard all year, pay my taxes so my kids can go to school and then take a nice vacation to Jamaica so I can have a reality check. Isn't that what everyone does. Where are you heading on your next vacation? The Mother Theresa training Center?<BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 11:47 AM
Bob

OH Bob xxx & Hello Ignorant xxx<BR><BR>You two boys need to get together ( and I suspect you already are ) and have a party. Call it the Dumb & Dumber!

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:10 PM
mary

Maybe telling people not to go somewhere isn't the best way to go about it, BUT I do always like to hear any cons as well as the pros. I take most opinions with a grain of salt anyways but I do consider them nonetheless. The more I hear the same pro or con, the more justifiable they become for me.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:03 PM
free man

This is a ridiculous post. This is a free country with free speech.

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:26 PM
tivertonhouse

At the high school level at a non-urban country school like Mannings or other non-boarding 'public' high schools in Savannah La Mar, a busy marketing town 1 hour from Negril, EACH SEMESTER costs parents of a qualifying (i.e.,pass the tests)student aboutUS$100 vs. average daily wage of US$10-15. Plus,books,supplies,transport,food,etc.There are no'financial aid'/scholarship/grants And yes, just like Depression-age kids, Jamaicans walk long distances to school -- or mini-bus it if they have the fare. Stop kvetching and count yourself lucky....

Old May 7th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Irv

Okay, let's see: 2 parents working 22 days per month at say $12.50 per day = $550.00 per month x's 3 months = $1650.00 per semester assuming 3 months in a semester. School costs $100.00 per semester. The $100.00 represents 6% of the total pay. What per cent of your total pay do you spend on your children to educate them? Is this extraordinarily high? Do any of your children in high school have jobs?

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:07 PM
tivertonhouse

IRVee the highly-regarded documentary 'Life and Debt' now making its rounds in the US and on PBS as a repeat. US cost/wage standards do NOT apply in Jamaica where there is also generally ONE parent/childcare provider AT BEST in a 'family', one wage-earner at best and where a frozen scrawny 2 lb chicken is US$8 -- on a US$10/day wage.<BR>I'm not trying to win a pissing contest here --<BR>just trying to let tourists know that life outside resorts is far rougher and tougher on families than they'd imagine -- OR could survive on themselves. Yet, even everyday tough times like these hardly damper the spirit of Jamaicans or one's admiration for them.

Old May 7th, 2002, 03:27 PM
tivertonhouse

P.S. Sorry if I mistated the true costs of a high school education in average country Jamaica. The minimum cost per semester is US$100 based on ONE COURSE per semester --<BR>with a minimum of 4 courses per semester term or $800/year. Add books, clothing, lunch and transport money -- let alone medical and food at home == and you're talking US$2,000/YEAR on a probable annual intake of US$5,500 -- or 36% -- a third of income for one child/year.<BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 05:55 PM
Tea

Tiverton:<BR><BR>Before visiting St. Lucia last year - I was told that school supplies were extremely hard to come by (markers - pencils - crayons, etc.) so I packed an entire suit case and gave them out to some of the locals. Since you seem very informed about Jamaica - I will be traveling there this July and was wondering if I should do the same?

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:11 PM
linda

We met a lovely man- Egberth - at the Shell Museum in Tortola (who serves the cheapest and best breakfast on the island) but spends much of his time helping students. He takes his boat to ST Thomas to get supplies- the students earn money by shelling, fishing , making crafts and marketing.We gave him extra dollars and have posted for help. They need crayons, pencils, tablets, computers- ANYTHING! Folks, if you're traveling to an island, consider packing a case of supplies and helping.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:32 AM
cAnon.

Well then, if most Jamaicans only make around $3 per day (claimed on another thread, e.g., a worker at Sandals), how can anyone afford to send their children to school? What is the average Jamaican salary? Are 95% of the kids unble to attend school?<BR><BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -