Moving to Boston!

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to Boston!

Hi everyone!

Im Ben, a 20 year old old english male, and I travelled all through the US last year on a 3 month trek.

While I was travelling I reliased that I Love Boston and I want to move there in the not to distant future (August 06). I would like to know where are the best areas to live, what are the best places to eat, sight-see etc..

Many thanks

Ben!
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:01 AM

Well Ben - assuming you're not a troll your first step is to visit the US State Department site to find out the rules and regs for immigration to the US - it's not easy.

Unless you plan on coming on a tourist visit (which allows 90 days) and then staying on illegally - meaning you'll not only find it very difficult getting any sort of job but will be subject to immediate deportation if caught.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:36 AM

Your note doesn't say anything about your financial situation. If you are not independently wealthy, you should know that Boston is one of the most expensive cities in the USA to rent or buy housing.

Go to www.realtor.com to look at prices. Lower cost housing is available outside of the Boston area, but you probably want to be IN Boston. Also, anything affordable requires at least a one-hour commute to reach Boston. Even housing 1.5 hours away can be very expensive.

Also, as the previous poster mentioned, immigration rules are very strict. You would not be eligible for legal employment without would first obtaining the US government's permission to live in this country.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 07:47 AM
Original Poster

well dont worry I am not going to be a troll, I am gong to go about it the correct (and legal) way.

I am aware that Boston is expensive but housing in england is FAR more expensive!, so that wont be a problem!

I hear that Back Bay is a very nice area to live?

Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 08:41 AM

The nicest areas of the city in which to live are the Back Bay, Beacon Hill and the South End. I would start looking there. Charlestown and the North End are also nice and are a little cheaper yet still fairly central. You may like the Allston/Brighton area, lots of college students and cheaper rents as well.

When looking at apartments I would avoid East Boston, Roxbury and Dorchester.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 12:19 PM

The nicest area is Beacon Hill. It is also the most expensive. As a 20-year old, you may also like the Brighton area, which has a few colleges and many students in your age bracket.

If England is far more expensive than Boston, it is probably because the dollar is worth so little compared to the pound. But when you are working in the USA, you will be paid in dollars, which will be much less than the equivalent in pounds. This means your money will not go as far as it may now seem.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Thankyou Wyatt and Joyce,

you have been a big help and I will start looking in the Back Bay/Beacon Hill/Cambridge areas for places to live... many thanks once again!

BTW - are there any great places to see in Boston which isnt where all the tourists go (like a secret to bostonians or something?)

Many thanks again
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 02:58 PM

Boston is a small city so I wouldn't say there are any areas that are strictly for tourists. Fanueil Hall is fairly touristy but there are a lot of restaurant and bars there that are fun too.

If you want to give Cambridge a try I would look into the Central or Porter Square areas. I think you'll find plenty of like-minded people to hang out with no matter where you settle. I think there's something like 250,000 college students in the city. Also a pretty large international polpulation as well. Good luck.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 03:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Ben, Yes, Boston is VERY expensive. I lived for many, many years in the Back Bay but in a rent controlled apartment. After decontrol We couldn't afford to live there or buy a Condo, so we are now just across the bridge in a townhouse condo in Cambridgeport by MIT.
The Back Bay is full of restaurants, art galleries, boutiques, hairdressers.
There are two Free newspapers to pick up on the street corner boxes. "Stuff," and the Improper Bostonian," both will tell you wants going on. When you're finally here, We'll all tell you our favorite places. Boston, as you know is a huge student, and medical center. The famed Berklee School of music is here and across the bridge MIT and Harvard.
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 04:08 PM

Ben,

We moved to MA through an Inter-Company transfer (one of the easier ways of immigrating) and the paperwork took 18months - this was pre 9/11 and now the INS are researching paperwork very throughly. It seems to me that August 2006 might be very optimistic. Good Luck

Unless you have a trust-fund, I fail to see how a 20year old can afford Boston real estate prices.

House prices may be less than England but you will find that health insurance (unless you have a good policy through an employer) is very, very expensive.

And don't get me started on the price of good bread
Old Oct 23rd, 2005, 06:19 PM

Ben
I will give you the secret handshake when you move here to allow you to go to the really fun places we dont allow tourists to see. But seriously, the ppl on here are giving you good advice.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 08:54 AM

I guess Wyatt92 hasn't heard the news that East Boston is a hot market for real estate. Lots of places with great city views. Maybe not the place for Ben but certainly it has its positive aspects.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 09:18 AM

Also go work in the US, employers require a green card. You can not work here without one. You might get intouch with the US Embasy and see what you have to do to relocate here.

Good luck.
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

WOW!

thankyou everybody, you have really helped me and I thankyou all, you have all been a huge help and everything you have said I have taken on board and will use!...

many thanks once again

Ben

(BTW- keep the info coming and if anyone has a room to rent in Boston give me the details please,lol.)

Thankyou again everyone
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

ohh!!!

and keep the info coming about Boston please people!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Hi Ben-
Like everyone else said, Beacon Hill, Back Bay and South End are great areas to live in.
I lived in Back Bay for 2yrs and loved it! Out of these 3, you will get the least for your money (space-wise) in Beacon Hill, and if you plan on having a car, Beacon Hill will also be the toughest to find parking spots.
South End is fantastic, still growing like a weed with new developments and restaurants.
I love Cambridge - anywhere in Central or Harvard Square would be great. Porter Square, while very close to both Harvard and Davis Squares, is not as lively as other areas of Cambridge. If you aren't set on being on the T (subway) and would consider a bus as your transportation, Inman Square in Cambridge is also gaining in popularity.

The North End, as well as the Allston and Brighton areas of Boston, have tons of young people your age living there. Living by Fenway/Kenmore Square is another option for living by others your age.

Have you considered Davis Square in Somerville? It's the furthest from all I mentioned, but because of its proximity to Tufts, it, too is a very popular place to live. It's right on the Red Line (subway) and only takes 20mins to get downtown.

Best of luck to you!
Old Oct 24th, 2005, 01:50 PM

Not knocking East Boston, in fact I have 2 sets of friends who just bought condos there. I just don't think it's the best place for someone young who is just moving to Boston. Maybe down the road if he wants to buy real estate, although condo sales in the city have slowed down quite a bit this year so there are more deals to be had in other neighborhoods as well.