Moving to Austin, TX

Dec 12th, 2004, 05:11 AM
stjohnbound

Moving to Austin, TX

My husband and I have decided to move to Austin, Texas, and will be visiting in January to look for an apartment. I was thinking of splurging and staying at the Four Seasons while we're there. Has anyone stayed there recently and would you recommend it? If not, where would you stay? Also, any not-to-miss restaurants while we're there? Lastly, if you live in Austin, or could live in Austin, which area would you choose and why? Thanks!!!

Dec 12th, 2004, 09:05 AM

Four Seasons is wonderful. Something more unique and neighborhoody would be to stay at the San Jose Hotel on S Congress. You'll get a good feel for Austin at this place with it's open-air coffee/lunch shop where many people hang out.
Dec 12th, 2004, 07:41 PM
stjohnbound

topping...

Dec 12th, 2004, 08:38 PM

You can save yourself some money and stay in the middle of everything by bidding $46 on Priceline and getting the Hyatt. The rooms are standard, but the location is great and the lobby/bar is nice.
Dec 13th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Lucky you!!
Hudson's on the Bend is awesome.
Also Oasis for a drink while watching the sunset(I have not eaten there).

We loved a little place called Vespaio - which was great - not fancy just good hearty Italian food.
Dec 16th, 2004, 03:26 PM
P_M

I second the vote for Oasis, and they have a very nice Sunday brunch.

As for where to live, well, that depends on a lot of things, like where you will be working. I live in Wells Branch which is a middle class area between Austin and Round Rock. I like it here because it's like living in a small town. We have many community activities that are either free or very inexpensive, along w/a very reasonably priced community pool and gym. I hope you will enjoy living in Austin.
Dec 16th, 2004, 07:19 PM
stjohnbound

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. As far as where to live, I would love more responses to that question. My husband works overseas so we can basically live anywhere we want. I'll be looking into work when we get there but I don't want that to hamper where we live. If you didn't have to worry about commuting, etc., where would you live??

Dec 16th, 2004, 08:17 PM

If I could live anywhere in Austin, I'd live on a bluff overlooking the river in Westlake. But be prepared to spend a million.

There is an apartment complex called Monte Vista on Sheperd Mountain just off 360 that has some fabulous views. Be careful choosing if you live there due to traffic noise below.
Jan 6th, 2005, 08:25 PM
abp

The traffic is horrible in Austin, but I love everything else about it. Where you want to live in Austin depends so much on$$$. I love old central Austin or Lake Travis.
Jan 16th, 2005, 06:29 AM
stjohnbound

Thanks everyone for the responses. We loved Austin and are looking forward to moving here. We found a place in NW Austin that will suit us fine until we decide where to buy a house. We ate at a GREAT BBQ restaurant called IronWorks. Also ate at Guerra's which was good too. Last meal was at Iron Cactus downtown which was not very good at all. By the way, I think the people in Austin have to be the nicest anywhere. Thanks again everyone!

Jan 16th, 2005, 10:07 AM

stjohnbound: When you return, try Castle Hill Cafe for great eclectic one block from Lamar and 5th downtown. By far my favorite. Menu changes every two weeks or so. For Mexican food try Matt's El Rancho on South Lamar. Been there forever but is closed on Tuesdays. There are so many places to try that you will spend years just exploring them. Best of luck in Austin, you will love it!

Search this Thread