Movie settings-where?

Search

Movie settings-where?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 12:47 PM
Miriam

Movie settings-where?

Hello,

I grew up watching several TV productions filmed in the States. Since I`ve been to different places in the US I wonder where those, kind of soap-operas were produced. One was what was called the "Waltons" in Germany and the other one was called translated sth. like "Little farm in the prairie" with Michael Landon..Do you know where those TV series took place?

Thanks

Miriam

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 02:30 PM
Caitlin

I can't say for sure, but I'd bet that "The Waltons" and "Little House on the Prairie" were *produced* in Los Angeles. Particularly back in the 1970s, and even now, most US TV shows, no matter what their settings, are actually mostly filmed on sets in the LA area, with the cast making periodic trips to other locations for outdoor shots, etc.

"Little House on the Prairie," at any rate, is based on a series of nine autobiographical novels for children written by Laura Ingalls Wilder and first published (I believe) in the 1920s. They are based on her childhood in the late 1800s and chronicle her family's journey as they moved from Wisconsin west to the Dakota Territory (not yet states) over a number of years, and are still incredibly popular. The TV show is basically an amalgamation/bastardization of plot points from the whole series of books put together and set in a single town. The theoretical location would be in one of the so-called prairie states where her family lived, probably Montana or South Dakota.

I don't know much about "The Waltons," but I'm sure someone can say where it was supposed to take place.

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 03:14 PM
Pat

I think the Walton's was supposed to be set in Virginia but I'm not 100% certain.

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 06:31 PM
Paul Rabe

According to "The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows" Sixth Edition, (Tim Brooks and Earle Marsh, Ballantine Books, New York, NY, 1995), The Waltons took place "on Walton Mountain, in the Blue Ridge Mountains of rural Jefferson County, Virginia." Don't check your map for this county in Virginia -- it's as fictional as the Walton family itself.

As noted, "Little House on the Prairie" took the title and characters (but not much else) from Laura Ingalls stories of her childhood in the 1880s. It takes place in Walnut Grove, Minnesota; a town where Laura actually DID live for a few years. She also lived in Burr Oak, Iowa; Pepin, Wisconsin; De Smet, South Dakota; and Mansfield, Missouri. All of these places have markers and museums for her; the two best are in the latter two.

Like tens of millions of others, I grew up reading the books, and thus enjoyed visiting all of the sites I mentioned above. Since the TV series had little to do with the books, you may or may not be as interested.

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 06:47 PM
Sal

"The Waltons" was based on the writings of Earl Hamner (known as John-boy in the series). The Hamners were a large family who lived in Schuyler, Virginia near Charlottesville. Several members of the family still reside there.

Old Dec 16th, 2000, 11:22 PM
Miriam

Hello
and thank you for all the answers.
I remember when driving the Blue Ridge Parkway I saw a sign pointing out a "Waltons Museum", but didn`t know if it`s related to the TV Waltons.

Again, thanks

Miriam

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 10:31 AM
John

According to Internet Movie Data Base, Little House on the Prairie location filming was done in Simi Valley, CA (a suburb of Los Angeles) and Tuolumne County, CA (a county in central California).

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 11:15 AM
clancy

The Waltons did location shots in and around Charlottesville, VA. Main St, which is now the downtown pedestrian mall, will look familiar from several episodes. There is a Walton's museum in Schulyer, which is about 20 minutes south of Charlottesville(C'Ville is an hour w. of Ricmond, 2 hours sw of Washington, DC).

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 12:38 PM
Leone

Does anyone know where "Shane" was filmed - with Alan Ladd, Jack Palance? You know - "Shane, come back, Shane, come back" - Brandon DeWilde, I believe. A relative of mine has insisted forever it was shot totally on a sound stage, but that just seems unbelieveable. She has this memeory we cannot shake. I recall it much differently. Can anyone clear up this mystery? Many thanks.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 01:04 PM
Gary

Leone:

According to the Wyoming state page at http://www.trib.com/WYOMING/, "Shane" was filmed "...on location in Jackson and Teton National Park."