Search

Mardi Gras

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 04:16 AM
Bhavna

Mardi Gras

Hi, Hubby and I are staying at the Holiday Inn in the Frencch Q for the Mardi Gras. We had no choice as we booked so late. Has anyone stayed there before? Thanks Bx

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 07:31 AM
John

Which Holiday Inn? There is one on Royal (kinda icky) and one on Dauphine (much better).

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 02:02 AM
Bhavna

John,
It is the one on Royal!Are we going to be miserable? We are flying over from London on the 23rd Feb, for the Mardi Gras. We were told this would be an ideal location!?
Bx

Old Dec 22nd, 2000, 04:16 AM
John

It will be okay for Mardi Gras, even though it's not my first choice in New Orleans. It would be difficult to change at this point so I'd keep it! The location will be good for parade watching on Canal Street. Enjoy and have a great time.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 05:08 AM
Bhavna

Thanks for the info John.
Is there any way to get into the Balls or do you have to be invited? I would love to go to one.
B
x

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 09:18 AM
John

Admission to the grand balls depends on the Krewe. I believe Endymion and Orpheus are among those open to the public...anyone can buy a ticket. The "old-line" krewes are the exact opposite. You have to know someone to be invited.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 01:05 PM
Ryn

Yes, some of the newer krewes, including Tucks, btw) will sell tickets to their Balls. The tickets are quite expensive. However, you should know that these balls may not be what you are envisioning. They are more like pageants, with lots of formal presentations and ceremony, very little general dancing. Often, the tickets nonmembers can get only entitle them to watch, not participate.

The parties thrown by the Krewes after
the parades are usually the true parties, with live entertainment.

If you just want to see what a Ball looks like, the Old Mint in the Quarter has a very nice Carnival exhibit, including some costume tableaus very like those done at the balls; the difference is that the poses are struck by mannequins rather than real people.

Old Jan 5th, 2001, 01:14 PM
Meg

The Mardi Gras exhibit at the Mint is no longer there. A Mardi Gras museum has been opened in Jackson Square, and all the memorabilia at the Mint was moved there. It's a great museum that offers a lot of history on carnival.

The big Endymion ball is a huge party at the Dome. We went a few years ago. Imagine going to a parade indoors in formal wear. After the parade rolls through the Dome (at the end of its parade route), the party begins. There are bands onstage all night. The old-line balls that aren't open to the public usually include a tableaux (basically, a Mardi Gras play put on my the krewe members) and then the court is presented - followed by the Queen's breakfast at the country club or some other such location. They're pretty dull - but they're a MAJOR event for the krewes. If a lady is invited to dance by a krewe member, she dances. If not, you sit and watch. Going once was an experience but we declined the invitation to join the krewes and now leave town every year for quieter places.