Search

Move to Long Beach?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Move to Long Beach?

Hi I'm thinking about possibly moving to the Long Beach area from Northern California. What areas are worth looking into? I'm looking to buy a house and would like a nice neighborhood with restaurants/stores etc. within walking distance? Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:07 AM
OliveOyl

There's a expert here...rjw_lgb who hopefully will hop in. I'm curious if the answer would still be Belmont Shore as it was for us moving there out of college...a mere (oh gawd) 35 years ago! My info might be a little dated. lol Actually, last time I saw it it was still a pretty cool place.

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 05:36 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Well I'm not him/her but I'd still say Belmont Shore/Naples, extending north a bit, if you can swing the house prices. There's also a bit of a renaissance up in the downtown area, especilally some cool houses (many grand craftsman/bungalows) a block or two in from Ocean Ave., but the gentrified portion of that area only appears to be about 4 or 5 blocks deep before things start looking a little more raggedy.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 07:35 AM

OK, here I am.... OliveOyl, that wasn't THAT long ago! Belmont Shore and Naples Island are the nicest, most "homey" parts of Long Beach. Following that is Belmont Heights, where I live. Gardyloo is exactly right: You want to stay as close to the coast as possible. General rule: As much as possible, stay south of 7th Street. That doesn't mean there aren't nice parts-- East Long Beach has some lovely homes, pretty parks, good restaurants, etc. (the downside: you're within two miles of Long Beach Airport). Bixby Knolls, in north Long Beach, is an oasis in the middle of some pretty rough areas-- million-dollar homes and up, low crime, golf courses.

Downtown is indeed gentrifying, but I'd still be looking at security buildings. Some of these reclamations earn top dollar, so they are really really nice.

I looked at condos in a downtown building called the Pacific, about 5 years ago. I balked at $200K for a two-bedroom condo, despite marble floors, cove ceilings, Subzero in the kitchen, etc. Now they're fetching $500K. I could kick myself.

Downside to the nice communities I'm recommending: Lack of on-street parking. Getting off-street parking is like getting the Nobel Prize, so make it a big requirement when house-hunting.

Real Estate is booming in Long Beach, but prices are still lower than in any other beach community in this area. Crime is improving, and is no worse than other large cities in the state. Ethnically, Long Beach is very diverse, and it has a pretty well-integrated gay and lesbian community (our Pride Festival is second only to the LB Grand Prix in drawing visitors, and their money, to the city).

It is worth coming down and taking a long look. If you need hotel recommendations, let me know.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 08:26 AM
OliveOyl

rj, I think I love you~~

Old Jul 31st, 2003, 08:52 AM

Olive... quot;>

Just a couple of random thoughts to add....

Shopping is only fair in LB, but it's getting better. Second Street in Belmont Shore is a collection of funky boutiques and a few chains (Banana Republic, Gap, Body Shop, etc.), plus good restaurants and a few watering holes. There's a pretty good mall not too far away in Cerritos, and South Coast Plaza is a 20-minute schlepp. Downtown shopping is weak, but slowly getting better.

Restaurants in Belmont Shore? Oh, yes. Good ones. At the cheap end of the scale, there's a Super Mex (great piles of tasty Mexican grub-- it ain't pretty, it's just good) and Papalucci's (mom-and-pop Italian joint-- checkered tablecloths, leans to the Sicilian/Calabrese end of Italy, cash only, cheap, great!). At the high end, Bono's (Christy's homage to her dad Sonny-- Cal cuisine, beautiful room, outside dining, superb winelist, great food, consistently busy) and Shenandoah Café (upscale and sublime Southern food, unrushed service, genteely shabby room) are my favorites.

Belmont Shore locals walk to these places (since parking is so hard). It's a wonderful sight on a Saturday evening to see so many people on the streets, enjoying themselves.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 09:44 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes but Hamburger Henry is gone. What's the point of living?
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 10:15 AM

Yeah, that was a blow to the Shore.... I miss Hamburger Henry too. Still, we now have a Rubio's Baja Grill AND a Cold Stone Creamery across the street, so dry those tears of nostalgia, Gardyloo....
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:18 AM

Well, since we're walking down Belmont Shore restaurant/pub memory lane, allow me to add my long gone college-era favorites:

Woody's - ultimate surf shack with killer chicken tacos

DiPiazza - Good, inexpensive Italian food where you could BYOB

BonnaDonna's Shore House - last time I visited LB this place had burned! Don't know if it has reopened, but loved this joint. Probably my fave.

Murphy's Patio Pub - schooners in an old movie theater. Need I say more?

Yankee Doodle's - redneck, blue collar hangout in LB. Played many a game of darts there

Midnight Espresso - game of chess and people drinking strong coffee all night, perfect for the strung out college student.

Couple of other places whose names escape me -- piano bar place where everyone threw peanut shells on the floor, and a tiny ice cream shop (Rainbow?).

Anybody else remember these places? Last time I visited LB (1994?) most of the cute surf shops had been replaced with New Age candle shops and chain stores. Not bad, just different. But definitely more "upscale" and far less funky.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 11:44 AM

golden: Was Woody's in the Marina? I think it is indeed gone. DiPiazza's is still open, still serving up Italian and live bands. The Shore House in Belmont Shore has re-opened in the same place (after a stint just down the street), with the same grub and the same late-night crowd. Murphy's and Yankee Doodle's are still lubricating the livers of Belmont Shore citizens. Midnight Expresso, alas, is gone, replaced by a Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf (I used to love getting some java there before hitting local bars). Don't know about the piano bar-- but the ice cream place sounds kinda familiar.

The one place I truly miss is Grandma's Sugarplums, which, despite the twee name, was a killer sweets-and-dessert place (they even had pavlova!). When Grandma died, they sadly shut down. It's very much missed on Second Street.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 03:55 PM

Yes, Woody's closed while I was still living in LB -- too bad. It was in one of the first buildings as you passed the Marina (2nd Street?) and entered Belmont Shore. Kind of an octagonal shaped building which I'm sure is still there, but probably hosts a different kind of restaurant.

DiPiazza -- did it change locations? Last time I was in LB it was gone, but perhaps they just moved. The piano bar was located in that building with the fake snow on the roof, just across the street from Murphy's. Man, Belmont Shore used to have an excellent pub crawl, lol. Some great dive bars too.

Glad to hear that the Shore House is still plugging along, but don't recall Grandma Sugarplums. What's in place of Hamburger Henry's now? Do they still have the outdoor patio?

Another fave was Parker's Lighthouse at the marina - still there? All of this is actually making me feel nostalgic for LB.
Old Jul 31st, 2003, 04:20 PM

At the pier in Belmont Shore is a restaraunt called Belmont Brewhouse or something Brewhouse or Brewery. The front door faces a building of condos. What's the price range there?
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 07:34 AM

gsp: OK, the piano bar was in the old Northwoods Inn. They tore the restaurant down (eyesore!) and put a new commercial building with one Deco-style corner dedicated to Christy Bono's new eatery Bono's. Great place.

DiPiazza's is on PCH, at the corner of Anaheim. Parker's Lighthouse is still in Shoreline Village, serving up the same great seafood with those views of the Harbor and the Queen Mary. Great on a summer evening to watch fireworks!

The corner where Hamburger Henry's was is now occupied by a Z Pizza outlet and, around the corner, Fingerprints Used CDs. It's a new building as well.

mrwunrfl: The restaurant is called Belmont Brewing Company-- and it's another good eatery (with good microbrewed beers). That big condo building has a bit of a swinging-singles reputation, but I've seen the units and they're pretty nice. I'd expect any one-bedrooms to start at around $200K (this is a guess). Two-bedrooms will start at $300K. Long Beach is cheaper than other beach communities in CA, but that doesn't mean it's cheap.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 12:24 PM

Hey, thanks for the updates rjw! Yes, that old log cabin-fake snow building was a standout in a beach community. Not too sad to hear that it's gone.

PCH and Anaheim - near my old abode! (Belmont Ave, near the Crimson Parrot) As I recall there was a golf course on one corner and some sort of little playhouse theater near the other corner. Where is DiPiazza in location to these landmarks?

Just as an aside, I recall when I was moving there that the advice I received was to avoid any street named after a fruit, LOL!
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 12:30 PM

RE: DiPiazza.... The two landmarks you describe are on Anaheim, across the street from each other. Continue on Anaheim to PCH (another 3 blocks), and DiPiazza is right in front of you!
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 03:38 PM

Is the RE in Seal Beach more expensive than LB? I grew up down there and Seal Beach has always been my favorite town.
Old Aug 1st, 2003, 04:06 PM

good question, laurelt
ttt
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 09:53 AM

RE costs between Seal Beach and Long Beach-- I have never seen a huge difference between the two until you get close to the ocean (and Seal Beach is more expensive). Seal Beach has fewer options near the water-- no surprise, it's a small town--, and once you're inland, it's not nearly as unique or cool-- it's just like any other Orange County town.
Old Aug 4th, 2003, 02:31 PM

laurelt, I don't want to suggest that Seal Beach isn't a nice place. It is. The coastal part of it is really charming, and I do enjoy visiting there a lot (and do, pretty frequently). Its Main Street is fun, and one of my favorite restaurants in Orange County is there-- Walt's Wharf.

As far as the RE market in Long Beach, a friend of mine made a point to find me yesterday in a crowded bar and tell me: "The condos in your building are pricing through the roof!" One-bedroom, 625 sq ft boxes going for $185K!! I'm beginning to fear that we're going through a bubble-- and beginning to think I need to paint, clean and SELL my unit...!!