What to do in Long Beach?

May 14th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

What to do in Long Beach?

I will be in Long Beach in June for a week while OH works. I will have a car. Any great beaches or interesting medium hikes? Any great restaurant ideas...like fish,ethnis, spicy. Thanks in advance.
May 14th, 2005, 09:06 AM

I don't have my notes available, so I'm going to be a little vague, but we had a great time staying near Long Beach. The Queen Mary and the Acquarium are two WOW attractions. Just driving through the area of the largest port in the US is fascinating. There is a downtown area with loads of good restaurants and a one-day-a-week market that stretches for blocks and blocks. Drive south to the string of suburbs for more good eating and toward Seal Beach (good beach) and just south of it a nature preserve with beaches and hiking trails. And, of course, you are only minutes away from the attractions of Los Angeles, if you get bored with all that.

Vera
May 14th, 2005, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Vera...love markets so will have to search for that!
May 14th, 2005, 10:11 AM

I live in Long Beach, so I'll just add to Vera's suggestions. Good ones.

As I've posted before, Long Beach isn't a tourist mecca-- it's great to live here (wonderful people, lots to do, central to all of southern California), but its charms are subtle. Still....

Queen Mary and Aquarium in downtown LB. For a little nighttime dining and entertainment, Pine Avenue in downtown, and Second Street in Belmont Shore (east of downtown).

Second Street is also full of little shops for strolling during the day. But for the good malls, your best choices are Cerritos Mall, South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa and Fashion Island in Newport Beach.

The best fish restaurants in the area are King's Pine Avenue Fish House (downtown LB), The Original Fish Company (Los Alamitos) and Walt's Wharf (Seal Beach). Ethnic? The area around Cerritos Mall is the epicenter of southern California's Filipino community, so there are many restaurants from that culture, as well as great Chinese places. Not far from there is a large Indian community, so there are good Indian eateries as well. Vietnamese and Cambodian places can be found, but I don't have any recommendations (ask at the hotel). There are good Thai and sushi places in the area, but for sushi frankly most people head to Koi in Seal Beach (there's an outpost of the Sakkura Sushi chain in east LB by the airport). For good Mexican, Enrique's at PCH and Loynes, Super Mex in Belmont Shore and Baja Sonora on Clark at Spring (by the airport). For the best southern Italian in the area, Ferraro's at Palo Verde and Los Coyotes Diagonal (little atmosphere, just a lot of heart and awesome marinara sauce)....

Beaches? Long Beach's aren't that great thanks to the breakwater that prevents large waves in the harbor. Head to Seal Beach. Or, if you want something more scenic and a little more exercise, head to Laguna Beach and start exploring a bit.

I hope you enjoy your time here-- like I said, it's a great area to live in!
May 14th, 2005, 10:16 AM

Oh, I almost forgot-- the LB Farmer's Markets are on multiple days in multiple locations:

Thursdays: Long Beach East-- LB Health Department (I know, sounds odd), SE of Willow and Redondo

Fridays: Long Beach Downtown-- CityPlace Center

Sundays: Long Beach Southeast-- Alamitos Bay Marina

There's also a market in Cerritos on Saturdays-- Towne Center and Park Plaza.
May 15th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much rjw...especially the info on the daily markets.
May 16th, 2005, 12:29 PM

So glad a local chimed in to add details to my foggy suggestions.

Vera