Search

move or not?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
move or not?

I'm considering moving from marin county California (northern) to Washington State (Bellevue area). I have 3 teenage girls. Northern California is just becoming too costly and it just sn't the same as it was 16 years ago.
Has anyone on this site done this? Am I too spoilt with the good weather here? I think the benefits of Washington state (great schools, healthy lifestyle, affordable housing, so I hear) outweigh the high prices and oversaturated population here. The grey weather might be ok since the girls will be in school most of that time-any feedback would be great. It would be a big move for us. ps we are going to visit for 4 days to check it out. thanks.

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:05 AM

First time I've heard "oversaturated population" and "Marin County" mentioned in the same sentence.

I maintain a residence in Marin, but live full time in NYC, and I think I have a good idea of what "over-saturated" is. Marin is definitely not.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:09 AM

Nothing is the same as it was 16 years ago. You presumably are a single parent? Did you talk it over with the three girls? Would they be happy to move from their neighborhood and friends?
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

"Oversaturated" meaning overpopulated. You must know, as you've lived here off and on, there are numerous building restrictions to preserve marin county open space which has increased real estate prices...ie over 1/2 million $ for our little townhouse. This is not a new thing for a New Yorker (I've lived in NY also) I know. Nevertheless, I live here full time, for a total of over 15 years so I've lived through the changes--thus the clarification of the definition of my word "oversaturated"-let's just say it's relative. ps I've also lived in Tokyo--yes, it's oversaturated there too...
Michael,
Are you a single parent? Are you a parent? To answer your question, yes, as in all major decisions, I have numerous open discussions with my children. I say this because, yes, especially as a single parent, it is important to do so. In the end, though, as in all most family situations, the parent makes the final decision. As a somewhat conscientious parent, thus my purpose in posting the note-I simply wanted to hear about other parents/families with adolescents who have moved from California to Washington...thanks though bill boy and michael...
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:37 AM

I moved from suburban NYC with my then 15 year old son to Albuquerque in 2001. I was a single parent then and wanted to get away from the stress, craziness and cost of living in NY. He and I visited 2 different times {summer and winter} to get a real feel for the climate and area.

We made the move {my 18 year old daughter remained in NY at college} on 7/11/01 exactly 4 months before that infamous date.

To make a long story short, we have never regretted making the move and daughter moved out here last fall.

It did take a lot of change for my son but he was really good about it and as much as he says he missed NY, I know he considers NM home.

Be open and talk about this A LOT with all of your daughters. In the end, it is YOUR decision and you will do what's best for everyone.

And FYI a 4 day visit most likely isn't enough. I would do during GREY days and spend time then to see what its like. Also, if your girls are into outdoor activity, the grey may impact them. Also, "being in school" only accounts for 7 hours a day...that leaves a lot of time out of school.

One last thing...and you do not need to reply or comment on this: I assume that there are no legal things {i.e. custody issues} stopping you from taking the children out of the state.

Hope this helps...
Debi

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:38 AM

mleg,

Your 4 day visit in WA should give you a fairly good idea. Here's a website that provides comparative information on relocation - housing prices, jobs, schools, etc:

www.homefair.com

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the support and good website. a sibling lives in the area--a vacation to a warmer temps in the middle of the grey months seems to help. her kids have become outdoorsy since moving there- (despite the climate?!) it's my habit to respond to posts-i will cont. discussions with the girls- no prob-we're a very happy. legal-free family. look forward to our visit.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 09:19 AM

I won't/can't deny that there are grey days in the Seattle area...and I, for one, look forward to them. But the glorious days when other colors dominate make it all worth while.

Old Aug 5th, 2006, 10:58 AM

I lived in Marin for 20 years. Moved there from Salem Oregon when I was 10 and then left Marin for Reno. Hmmmm..paid 26,000 for my house in Novato, sold it for 38,000. If I'd held on to that baby I'd be on the beach somewhere sipping a cold one!!! LOL Anyway, I don't think Salem gets as much rain as some areas in Seattle, but when you grow up where it rains, it's just part of your life. My mom didn't drive so we always walked to school, rain or shine. We had the clothes for it, boots, rain slicker etc. It never really stopped us from doing much of anything. So, I'm just saying, that if you move there, you will have to adjust to a different climate, but once you do, it is what it is, it's part of life, and you just go on about your business. No big deal.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Er, wouldn't you want to avoid disrupting your kids' schooling by moving? Unless they are terribly unhappy in school now, uprooting them now and forcing them to make new friends would be disruptive and unsettling for them. Can you wait a few years? Then you could move somewhere where you wouldn't even have to take schools into account.

Andrew
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 11:59 AM

My husband was "downsized" a few years ago and we had to decide between a 60 mile commute into the city for him or move our 2 daughters who were teenaged. Our school here has an excellent music program which has been a big part of our daughters' lives. We chose to have DH commute; now our baby has graduated and we plan to move after her first year of college is behind her. I think she will want to come back here to see friends this first Thanksgiving and Xmas. It has been a bit hard on us, but I think it can be hard for teens to move. I would make certain they are 100% behind the move or wait a few years. It goes by so fast anyway!
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Yes, moving involves uprooting and can be disruptive. But it can also be a transformation and new beginning.
On the surface, "waiting a few years" seems the logical suggestion.
I have already experienced having a child "wait a few years". At least for her, the formative years were her pre-adolescent and teen years. Every move we've made, yes, there have been many, has been for the better. No regrets. They agree. I think moving goes with the territory of being a single parent.
I love California, but it is more and more challenging for myself and my children to keep up with the lifestyle in this area. Washington may not be the answe. It seems for affordable and maybe even more children friendly. I am learning from the various posts. Thanks.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 05:53 PM

People from California have a very hard time adjusting to the weather here. They generally complain about it all winter, and rhapsodize how they wished they never sold their California home, and they go on and on about how they would move back if they could only afford it. If I had a nickle for every interaction I've had like this, I'd be rich.

Lol, only a Marin County resident would think of Bellevue as affordable. I go there often for work and friends so I do know how insane it is there. But, make sure you look at real estate sites like windermere.com-Bellevue (and Seattle and any of its eastern suburbs) are not affordable compared to most of the country.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the honest advice Christy. well, i've a townhouse here in Marin County and would like to upgrade to a house. weather is a big concern--so is cost of living, schools...much more thinking is needed on my part that's for sure. my sibling suggested newport hills. know of this town?
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM

Newport Hills is a suburb of Bellevue south of I-90...Bellevue is north of I-90. Still in the Bellevue school district. Don't think that home prices differ a whole lot.
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 08:28 PM

Seconding what Christy1 said!

My additional two cents-look at the smaller towns- Bellingham, maybe, or Bainbridge, or Port Townsend area. Eastern WA is more what you're looking for if you can stand four seasons and snow- much cheaper, more room to breath, much less "gray". The gray weather in Seattle is actually worse when you're in school (unless you're not an outdoors person in the first place and you have a car).

Maybe consider central Oregon/ Portland?

And seroiusly take time to think over this move- visit Bellevue now, and again in January, before you make any decisions. If you still like WA in January-March, you'll do just fine here
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Oh- additionally, Washington is VERY chid friendly, especially Seattle area. So much to do....

And since they're teens, I'm going to assume college is in the immediate future- AWESOME state universities- though you should also consider- will the girls want to go to any of the UC's?? Because tuition is killer for non CA residents.....
Old Aug 5th, 2006, 10:44 PM

sorry- child, not chid
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 08:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
affordable housing? Bellevue??? hmmm, that's a first -LOL.

You just need to come look around. I am native to California and have happily lived in Seattle for a couple decades. Sure it's gray in the winter time (that's why I go to Mexico) but right now it's been sunny mostly for months and months. Gorgeous.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 01:08 PM

My first thoughts were same as Andrew's - my kids would absolutely hate to move. We've gone on wonderful vacations out west, but as much as they love to visit, they are adamant that they do not want to leave home.

A friend tells me that she hated moving during jr. high. She said she felt she never belonged. She said that she made many friends, joined many clubs and became a true part of her new school's community. But, she recalls sitting and listening to the other kids talk about experiences while they were younger, and she felt she could never relate.

I've thought about moving, too, but b/c of my kids reaction, and b/c all our family is here, we are here for now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -