Mountain View Grand - NH

Old Apr 9th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mountain View Grand - NH

My husband and I have made reservations for the Mountain View Grand hotel in Whitefield NH for Memorial Day weekend for our anniversary weekend. Although we will be spending some time at the hotel and hopefully a couple of spa treatments, I am looking for recommendations for some other things to do in the area (beginner hiking or kayaking) to enjoy the outdoors and the scenery. Also looking for some restaurant recommendations in that area as well. Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:39 AM

We stayed at the Mountain View Grand last Labor Day weekend and very much enjoyed a drive into Vermont for a craft fair and scenery. We loved breakfast at the Littleton Diner. Dinner in the bar at MVG was very nice. The Saturday night comedy show was great but be prepared to share a tiny tiny table with strangers. Check a black fly report for Memorial Day weekend. In the mountains, it might be a little buggy for hiking. Your best hiking trails will be a little further south in the White Mountains. I would check an events schedule for northern Vermont and NH. Happy anniversary.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 04:57 AM

There is some great hiking in this part of the country, with trails at every level. Pick up a Delorean map of White Mountain hiking trails at any store in the area. As the above poster mentioned, the blackflies can be pretty annoying this time of year! Bicycling may be a better option if it gets too buggy. Also, if the weather is good, do the Mt. Washington auto road which is very spectacular.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your replies. I have heard about black flies but never experienced them, does insect repellant work at all? I have some with DEET that we bought for our trip to Alaska and didn't end up needing to use.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:26 AM

Blackflies are in force in this part of the country from late May - early July, so chances are you'll encounter them. Repellants with DEET do work fairly well, Skin so Soft is minimally effective. The best preventative is a stiff breeze.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 10:29 AM
mm

Whitefield is way out in the boonies but the drive is pretty nice. Most likely you'll drive through Franconia Notch St. Park which is loaded with attractions and hiking trails. You can even see where the Old Man of the Mountains used to be. :^)

There is a small airport nearby from which you can take a ride over the mountains. Very scenic.

Have fun.

mm
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Everyone! I'll post a report when we return or possibly some additional questions as I finish planning.
Old Apr 14th, 2005, 05:53 PM

The dining room of the Sunset Hill House, a country inn, (they have a website) is a fabulous place for a nice dinner. The views of the Presidential Range are sensational (especially breathtaking at Sunset, so you'd want to pick a reservation time accordingly) and the cuisine is excellent.

Note that if you plan to dine in the main dining room at the Mountain View Grand, you MUST reserve (now would be a good idea). The dining room cannot accomodate all guests in one evening, and many are turned away for lack of reservations (we found the food and service wonderful). You must also make spa appointments ahead of time! And, be sure to note the cancellation policy. Many guests, unfortunately, assume they can decide on spa services on the spur of the moment, or wander into the dining room for dinner, and are quite disappointed to find that this is not true.

Also, check the website, or phone, and see what's going on in the back lounge (often very good comedy). This also must be booked ahead. Last time we were there, we ended up giving our tickets to a very, very grateful couple when we determined we were too tired from being out and about all day and would probably nod off during the late show.

To us, the best thing to do in the area is get in your car and drive all over. Routes 2 and 302 are spectacularly scenic, in both directions...