Notices

White Mountains - flat easy hikes needed

Old Jul 13th, 2017, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White Mountains - flat easy hikes needed

We will be in the Albany area next week. I am looking for flat easy hikes, smooth ground, no uneven surfaces. We would like "scenic" though. We will have a car.

I look forward to your recommendations.

Thanks
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 04:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 7 Posts
OK -- do you mean Albany NY and the White Mts in NH??

Or some other Albany/White Mountains
Old Jul 13th, 2017, 04:19 PM

Are you talking about the White Mountains in New Hampshire? They're not exactly in the Albany area, unless you want to make it a weekend trip.

The Whites of NH are notorious for difficult hikes -- I seriously doubt there are any that are flat, easy, with smooth ground, OR without uneven surfaces.

You might want to drive on the scenic byways and just enjoy the views.
Or check out this guide:
http://www.visitwhitemountains.com/a...ing-the-whites
However, to list Old Bridle Path and Falling Waters as hikes you can do "with minimal effort" is a bit optimistic.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 12:17 AM

I'm going to guess the OP means Albany NH on Rt 16 east of my favorite Sandwich NH area and southwest of Conway.

I think even the Flume is strenuous. There's a book about hiking in the White Mountains with children that rates trails. Google easy white mountain hikes in NH. I am very out of shape despite a gym membership. Last year we did a birding class one day then met at 7am the next morning to walk around Remick Farm Museum in Tamworth. We did not have to pay to walk around the farm and enjoyed seeing and hearing different birds. Their website mentions walking trails but doesn't say what time trails are open. Our group might have had special dispensation for a 7am hike. Mostly flat!
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 03:15 AM

The Mount Willard trail begins at the Appalachian Mountain Club center in Crawford Notch and follows old logging and farm roads very gently to an incredible view down the Notch. The best few for the least effort in the White Mountains.

The AMC will be happy to advise you of gentle trails. There are some nice trails along the Pemigewasset River off the Kancamagus highway if you get down that way. The slope is gentle enough that we used to cross country ski "uphill" without difficulty.

From Pinkham Notch (parking at the AMC Lodge) there are easy trails across the highway around Lost Pond, where we saw a moose at twilight. The trail to Lowe's Bald Spot is also easy, and you find yourself on a funny little hillock above the trees with 360 views of the Presidential Range and Carter and Wildcat Mountains.

BigRuss is right about many of the trails being difficult. They start level near the parking area, then about half a mile in, gain altitude very rapidly on steep switchbacks before ascending more gently. These steep slopes seem to be designed to separate the serious hikers with good footgear from the Sunday afternoon rambler. You don't want to be above treeline if the weather gets bad, and it can do that very quickly.

But the trails I mention are all easy, and there are lots of others between Crawford Notch and Franconia Notch based on logging roads that are also easy.
Old Jul 14th, 2017, 07:41 AM

great job, Ackislander! Even I am tempted to try Mt. Willard.