Motorhoming it around Florida

Jan 5th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Motorhoming it around Florida

My hubby and I are going to Florida for the first 2 weeks in March and due to serious lack in money, we're thinking of either hiring a car and camping along the way or hiring a motorhome to cut down accommodation costs. Has anyone else done either? Is it safe as I've heard a few stories but understand everything's a risk. Also, is this money saving in comparison to staying in motels along the way? Appreciate any help and advice.

Many thanks

Sal
Jan 5th, 2007, 07:53 AM

I think it is likely to be safe enough since, except for Walmart parking lots, you will be staying in campgrounds, not rest areas. These are not cheap, and you are likely to need advance reservations in season.

Traffic is no pleasure in FL in the winter. You will certainly be paying a bunch for gas and tolls on top of the rental. You will save money on meals if you eat in, but do you want to spend your vacation cooking in a tiny kitchen? Most of the women I know who have RVed dropped out over this issue. The real advantage of a motor home is that you can move if you hate the weather (too hot or cold), but to my mind the disadvantages badly outweigh the advantages UNLESS you just love motorhoming.

If not, get a AAA guide and look at listings for mom and pop motels as well as the budget chains. There are some very nice ones in Fl.
Jan 5th, 2007, 08:03 AM
GoTravel

Hiring a motorhome will cost you a fortune.

There are thousands of moderately priced motels in Florida.

Stop by the first Visitors Center you find and pick up copies of the motel coupon books. You should easily be able to find motels between $45-$65 per night. If that is out of your budget you may want to rethink this trip. Campsites are $35+ per night.

Jan 5th, 2007, 08:35 AM

State park campgrounds in FL are excellent, provide water and electric hookups, and generally cost about $25 per night. Add that to the cost of gas and rental, and you'll see the renting an RV is not going to save you any money.
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:06 AM

Motels in Fl are so cheap that I can't imagine how you would save money considering motorhome rental and gas alone - never mind the cost of parkng in campgrounds.
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:24 AM

I live in Florida and have camped at several of the state parks. First off many campgrounds fill up so you should make reservations as soon as you decide. We rented a small motor home once for 3 nights and it was not cheap (around $750), add to that the cost of camping, gas, etc. you will not save much. As far as safety goes, most all campgrounds are very safe and I have never had or heard of any problems (typically campers are very nice people). If you still want to rent check out www.elmonterv.com and www.cruiseamerica.com you can get an idea of how much it will cost. Both of these companies rent out of Orlando which would be a centrally located starting point. Hope this helps and enjoy your trip.
Jan 5th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Camping can be inexpensive if you already have equipment - but if you must rent or buy, I think even camping would be more money than inexpensive hotels.

Just a few miles inland from beaches in Florida, hotel costs drop a great deal. You can buy or bring a cooler and have picnic lunches and it is always easy to get a cheap breakfast from either the grocery store or shop. Since Florida seems to have lots of "early bird specials" for dinner, even that can be had inexpensively.
Jan 6th, 2007, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice! Think we'll do car and motels. That should keep hubby happy knowing that now he only has to deal with driving on the wrong side of the road and not having to also learn how to drive a big motorhome.

Sal

Search this Thread