Mosquitos in Hawaii??

Search

Mosquitos in Hawaii??

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2010, 02:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mosquitos in Hawaii??

I am very susceptible to bug bites and am trying to figure out what type of preventative bug spray/lotion I need to bring with me to Hawaii. Any suggestions or is this not really a problem. Thanks
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 02:58 PM

It depends on where you are. If you're on the wet side of an island, expect bugs; if you're on the dry side, much better. I'm partial to Kona Village Resort, and while in the past people have complained, in my 35 visits over 38 years, I've never been bitten. Mosquito fish in the lagoon, lots of geckos and birds, and judicious spraying seem to keep them under control. But if you're hypersensitive, I'd say something containing DEET.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 04:11 PM

Yes there are mosquitos in Hawaii. They come out at dusk, but if there is a breeze blowing (likely) you are less likely to be bothered. I use a 25% Deet low absorption lotion from Sawyers that is marketed by REI now. It has a very "undeety" feel and odor to it. I usually wear it when we go out at night just as a precaution. My husband is much more bothered by them than I am.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 04:15 PM

Have you considered that it may be the scent you are using or a specific soap or product with a specific aroma. Mosquitos are attracted to specific scents - and when I stopped using one perfume my incidence of bites went way down.

That said, some places are full of them - to be avoided - and other have only a few. But I would attract them anywhere until I switched scents.
Old Nov 21st, 2010, 10:47 PM

As Iamq says, mosquitoes are not usually a problem in breezy areas, but you may want to bring repellent just in case. I like the ones that come in single use foil packets, as I can stash some in a purse without worrying about leakage.

Also, repellent containing Picaridan is just as effective as those with DEET, but less toxic to children, and will not dissolve plastic like DEET does. Cutter Advanced, Natrapel (available in packets from REI) and some other brands use Picaridan. It also smells better and is not greasy.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone, I already don't use any perfume or scented anything to make sure and have started taking B12 to help (read about it somewhere online) - but I like to know what I'm up against!
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 09:12 AM

I took many trips to HI and never even saw a mosquito. It was always so breezy they didn't have a chance. Then one year I stayed east of Hawaii Volcanoes NP for a week (on the wet side of the BI), the trade winds were absent, and I was devoured.

As someone that has a terrible immune reaction to bites--I get welts--I've done quite a bit of reading about them. B12 has been shown completely ineffective. This is a good site and if you read down to "What attracts mosquitos to me" you can read about what works and what doesn't.
http://www.mosquito.org/mosquito-inf...on/faq.aspx#13
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 12:44 PM

Avon has some good stuff for mosquitos, but we just got back from Maui and never even saw a mosquito either.
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 12:57 PM

Yes, it's called Avon Skin So Soft! It Really works!!!!
Old Nov 22nd, 2010, 02:09 PM

http://www.avon.com/1/3/avon-skin-so...oil-body-spray

Any of these, or is there a particular one? How did you find out it works as a mosquito repellent?
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 08:35 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It depends where you are in "Hawaii", time of year, weather, etc. I've never seen mosquitos in many trips staying in Honolulu/Waikiki for example. I'm sure there are jungly places that are a different story.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 05:45 PM

sf7307- Avon has been selling their SSS for at least 25 years, but I think they were not allowed to tout it as a repellant until just a few years ago. I have friends who even use it on their pets to keep fleas off.

I've found it is very good at keeping mosquitoes off. We used to have a lot of mossies in our yard, and I could see them hover, but not land on my SSS protected hands. The only problem is that it does not last nearly as long as the DEET or Picaridan products. When I'm in my yard, it seems 2 hours is the point when it "quits", even less if you are sweating a lot.

The oil is much better than the lotions, and they do have oil wipes, so it's easy to carry and reapply. Unless you will be doing water or sweaty sports, SSS will be fine for your needs in Hawaii.

If I'm somewhere trying to prevent malaria or Dengue though, I go for the more powerful Picaridan.
Old Nov 23rd, 2010, 07:05 PM

Thanks, lcuy. In fact, my next big trip is to SE Asia, so I'll go for the Picaridan this time, but keep the Avon in mind for future trips to Hawaii (which will be next summer if my DH has anything to say about it!!).
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

The SSS doesn't generally work for me,I've tried. I almost always have to use some type of DEET product but then the problem becomes the combo with sunscreen. I burned and got bitten A LOT in Panama because of a reaction between the two but not at all in the Galapagos where I switched to baby sunscreen, or maybe it just wasn't buggy there. For this trip I will be in Maui - I guess I'll just bring it all with me and be prepared! Thanks Everyone
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 12:16 PM

Avon has another product for mosquitos besides SSS; which I used because they have unscented and I think it is a Deet product. But we didn't need to use it in Maui a couple of weeks ago.
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 01:52 PM

interestingly my husband who gets bitten every time he walks out the door in OZ (well nearly) had no problems at all in Kauai and Honolulu