Reload this Page >

FIRST TRIP TO HAWAII

Search

FIRST TRIP TO HAWAII

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 11:19 AM
JOE

FIRST TRIP TO HAWAII

TWO COUPLES MAKING FIRST TRIP TO HAWAII. GOING IN MID JULY TO MID AUGUST. GOING FOR TWO WEEKS. OUR GOAL IS TO BE BY THE OCEAN WHERE WE CAN READ, SWIM AND RELAX. WE DO NOT WANT TO DO A LOT OF SIGHTSEEING. WE WOULD LIKE TO RENT A HOUSE. IS ANY ONE ISLAND BETTER THAN THE OTHERS? HAS ANYONE HAD EXPERIENCE RENTING A HOUSE? WHERE SHOULD WE RENT, FROM WHOM AND CAN YOU GIVE US TIPS ON RENTING? WE DO NOT WANT TO BE IN AREAS WHERE THERE IS A LOT OF RAIN OR MOSQUITOS. ANY TIPS OR ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE IS GREATLY APPREICATED.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 01:36 PM
Hellen Keller

JOE,

You state that "ANY TIPS OR ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE IS GREATLY APPRECITATED".

My advice is TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK!!!!! All caps is considered SHOUTING!!!!!!

Hellen

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 03:06 PM
Beach Bum

CHILL OUT, Hellen! Joe's just excited about his first trip to Hawaii so he's probably just displaying his enthusiasm. Joe, from your description, Kaua'i sounds like what you're looking for. It's a nice island if you're seeking beach, scenery and relaxation. But, I'm not sure you'll be able to find a house. And, even if you do, unless you're a dot com millionaire, price'll probably be too much to bear! Most tourists either stay in hotels or time-shares. There are more rental opportunities on O'ahu, Maui, and the Big Island. My suggestion is that you do a google search or check into the classifieds at www.honoluluadvertiser.com/

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:09 PM
Cynthia

If you're really interested in just relaxing by the ocean and enjoy seclusion, then Dunbar Beachfront Cottages
on Molokai may be just what you're lookig for:

http://molokai-beachfront-cottages.com/

I found these listed on the Frommer's website and they look very appealing on the website. Haven't been there yet!

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Cynthia

1. Actually, the house and cottage rentals are often more economical than the hotels and resorts.

2. I should point-out that I don't really know about the weather on Molokai but the summer is the drier season for all of Hawaii, w/ the exception of certain parts of the Big Island (if I recall correctly), where the winter is actually drier.

Old Apr 14th, 2002, 06:31 PM
russ

All of the islands have a dry and wet side. If you want sun, in general stay on the south or west of each island. Try a search for Hawaii vacation rentals, or see http://www.hawaii-vacation-homes.com/romantic.html or http://www.bestbnb.com.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 04:57 PM
LisaMarie

Hi Joe - You can also take a look at cyberrentals.com, vacationspot.com, and vacationrental.com. All three sites will let you browse different locations and prices ranges.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 12:25 AM
Melissa

Try
bnb-hawaii.com

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 05:48 PM
Chuck

Just got back from Kauai. It is as beautiful as you've heard. We did lots of relaxing, but there's fun little side trips to do also. We stayed at Lae Nani - a condo in the town of Kaapa'. Extremely relaxing, right on the beach. THe grounds are beautiful. NOT resorty(I know - not a word!) at all. There are sea turtles and a monk seal that hang out right off the beach there, as well as great tidal pools to explore. I would suggest this to anyone looking for a relaxing and ocean-side trip.

Old Apr 17th, 2002, 06:17 PM
Ken

The first thing you have to do is decide what island or islands you want to visit. What is one person's favourite island may not be yours.

Oahu (Waikiki) is busy, crowded, and commercialized, with lots of night life, shopping, and restaurants.

Kauai and Hawaii (the Big Island) are both much more low key and more suited for nature lovers and those wanted peace and quiet. No night life.

Maui is somewhere in between - not as busy as Waikiki, but lots of nightlife in the Kaanapali / Lahaina area, and many restaurants.

The smaller islands of Molokai and Lanai are VERY quiet and peaceful. No night life and few restaurants, and really not a lot to do other than enjoy the beauty of the land and the ocean.

What are you looking for? Lots of "action" (Oahu), peace and quiet (Kauai and the Big Island), absolute isolation Molokai and Lanai), or somewhere in the middle (Maui).

Learn a little about each island and make your choice. I don't think a first timer should try Molokai or Lanai, so i suggest that you choose from the four major islands. Pick one or two islands depending on how long you will be in Hawaii.