Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

More charm: Vagabond's House Inn or Green Gables?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Third posting in my endless dithering on Monterey Peninsula lodging! I have a choice between Vagabond's House Inn in Carmel or Green Gables in Pacific Grove. This would be for second half of stay, first half being at Seven Gables Inn in Pacific Grove.

The trip is for my mother, who is 81 and recovering from chemo. She might want to spend half the day in the room, so comfort (sofa, etc.) and privacy are important. Loves gardens, and I understand Vagabond's Inn has a nice one.

I'm dithering because people rave about Four Sisters properties, especially the Green Gables, and I haven't read much on Vagabond's. Any input, anybody?
Old May 12th, 2005, 09:26 AM
SAB

Don't know why you are going to pack up an move from one inn to another especially since Green Gables and Seven Gable are on the same stretch of road in Pacific Grove and very close to one another. However if you are going to go to the trouble of moving, then I would move to Carmel so at least the location is different.
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Same stretch of road? Somehow I missed that. Inn-hopping is not my goal; it's a question of availability.

Well, that settles it anyway. Going to call Vagabond's. Thanks SAB.
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM

We just returned from a stay at La Playa. I don't think you will find any place in Carmel with more lovely grounds and gardens. This hotel simply took my breath away. It is a historic hotel and oh so nice!

We had a very nice breakfast at the Terrace Grill, beautiful garden room and the pool was heated to a very nice 82 degrees. Service was first-class and the rooms, yet small were very well appointed and nicely decorated. I highly recommend La Playa, and just two blocks down the gorgeous Carmel beach. Have fun in Carmel! ***kim*** www.laplayahotel.com
Old May 12th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for La Playa recommendation. Checked it out and looks so nice but unfortunately out of my price range. Lamb chops and pancetta-wrapped prawns at Terrace Grill, though--a definite maybe!
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:24 PM

mari, by coincidence, I just posted on Vagabond's House on another thread this morning, and so I have just topped that thread again for you so you can read what I (and another poster) wrote about it. The thread is called "Need Romantic B&B ideas in Carmel/Monterey" or something very similar to that.

I love Vagabond's House and especially urge you visit their web site vagabondshouseinn.com for some good pictures and descriptions, if you haven't discovered it already. While I recommended it to a poster looking for a spot for a romantic anniversary, it is by no means just a "couples" place, and I think your elderly mother would enjoy it greatly. The courtyard garden is indeed wonderful and secluded from the street, and there are comfortable chairs to sit in it and enjoy it outside as well as from the rooms.

I have not stayed st Seven Gables, Green Gables, or La Playa, but I do think the two Pacific Grove properties are close together and quite similar, so if your Mom is going to stay in one of them during the first part of the trip, I think Vagabond's House would provide greater variety for her for the second part.

I have been around La Playa's grounds and in its lobby, and while I'd agree that it is a very attractive property, I think Vagabond's House beats it like a drum for charm. Vagabond's House is old, and so many people demand new and spiffy that it keeps Vagabond's rates relatively reasonable, a good thing for those of us for whom charm is a higher priority than newness.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

Hi JBC,

Actually it was your mention of Vagabond's House on that thread that sparked this whole change, so thank you! Found a trove of near-perfect reviews on TripAdvisor, many specifically praising the innkeeper, Dawn, who was very nice when I booked with her this morning. So that, together with your description of the courtyard garden, and the fact that with breakfast delivered to the door there will be no pressure rushing Mom out of bed to the breakfast room, make me feel very good about VHI. That, by the way, is my one hesitation about Seven Gables--they don't do breakfast in rooms.

If there's any interest in travel to the area with health/mobility issues, I may post a trip report covering these angles later. We're hiring a local licensed health aide to come in for a couple hours daily to help Mom and give me a break, going to buy a shower chair at Walgreens when we get there, and have arranged for a collapsible travel IV pole to be shipped in advance. Mom got her Procrit shot today to pump up her blood for the trip--hope it kicks in in time!