Reload this Page >

Monterey to Paso Robles, Morro Bay

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 08:53 AM
jetset1

Is this a good afternoon drive? We don't plan the coastal route or I5. Also, any suggestions on whether to stay in Morro or Pismo Beach?
What would be a good stopping point between that area and Orange county the following day?
We have one week to visit points between Monterey and San Diego. Thanks for any help.

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can make it in an afternoon from Monterey to Morro Bay if you take 101. It will take you most of a day if you take Highway 1 along the coast, but it is well worth it unless it is foggy. My advice is to take Highway 1, enjoy the spectacular views, and stop and see Hearst Castle. Can't help you as to where to stay in Morro Bay, but would recommend Santa Barbara or Ventura as your next stop. That way you can enjoy Solvang and the surrounding wine area, as well as these coastal towns.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:12 AM

The Los Osos part of Morro Bay is quieter and more pleasant than the vicinity of Morro Bay near the pier. The Back Bay Inn is on the water and a very good value in the winter. Los Osos would interest you if you like quiet, wildlife. Pismo Beach is a resort with large hotels on the ocean.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 10:38 AM
jetset1

Thank you both. I do want to tour wineries, so I will keep the suggestions in mind. I have traveled the coastal route before, and the winding road, coupled with my teenager and 11 yr. old, probably would benefit from a more direct route south.
We could return on the coastal portion if time permits.
Another question.. would it be wise to save the MB aquarium for a Friday on our return route, vs. Sat. morning when leaving? Thanks again, J.

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 12:21 PM
jetset1

topping

Old Feb 15th, 2006, 01:31 PM

I would save the aquarium for the return trip for 2 reasons:

1. It will be less crowded on a Friday than a Saturday
2. I wouldn't want to rush through the aquarium, which I know I would be tempted to do if I knew I had a long drive ahead of me - I would be wanting to get on the road.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 03:58 PM
jetset1

Thanks J~ I sorta thought the reverse would be best too. J.