Highway One Questions

Search

Highway One Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highway One Questions

In a couple of weeks, my 19 year old son and I, after attending a conference in Long Beach, will rent a car and drive the coastal route to San Francisco to meet my husband and another son, who will be attending a different conference there. We plan to take two or three days to make the drive, leaving on a Tuesday, and driving up the coast. We will spend the first night in Morro Bay, so that we can tour Hearst Castle on Wednesday morning. I'm trying to figure out the best route from Long Beach to Morro Bay, including most scenic drive. From looking at the map. here's what I'm thinking - take 405 from Long Beach to Santa Monica, then cut over to the Pacific Coast Highway. I could then either drive as far as Malibu and cut over to 101 on Route 23, or stay on it for another 20 miles or so and join 101 near Oxnard - does anyone have an opinion on which is the better option? I'll stay on 1 if it continues to be scenic, and worth the extra time it will probably take. Northwest of Santa Barbara we have a choice - stay on 101 and go through Solvang - I know it's touristy, but it might be fun to make a brief stop, buy some pastries, and look around - or get off onto 1 - however, 1 doesn't go along the coast on this stretch, so I don't know if it's worthwhile. However, it goes through Lompoc, which I've heard has beautiful flower fields, so that might be worth a look. Or we could go to Solvang, then take 246 over to 1 and Lompoc - or just stay on 101. North of San Luis Obispo we'll get on 1 and stay on it to SF. Any guidance on these various choices would be appreciated. Also, what is the average speed limit on 1? Not that we'll be in a hurry, I'm just curious (I also wouldn't want to hold up traffic behind us by going too slow, appreciating the sights).

I think that on Wednesday, after the castle tour, we'll drive as far as the Monterey area, stopping to do some hiking on some of the trails in Big Sur - do the 17 mile drive - and spend the night, perhaps in Seaside. The other decision I have to make is whether to spend an extra night on the road - I'd like to have time to go to the Monterey Aquarium, and spend some time at Big Basin Redwoods State Park - maybe rent kayaks for a couple of hours somewhere, too - I was interested in possibly staying in a hostel, there are two next to lighthouses within 50 miles of San Francisco that look interesting - or whether to arrive in SF late Thursday, and have one more day in the city (we're leaving early on Monday, the 5th). I want to have time to at least drive across the Golden Gate Bridge before heading back into the city. I'm interested in any opinions about these different options. Since we live on the east coast, I don't know when we might get back to CA, and I'd like to make the most of our time.

Thanks for any help!
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Aaahhh, wow...

Personally, in a nutshell, I'd suggest overnights at Santa Barbara, Morro Bay and Monterey. Pics, incidentally, at http://community.webshots.com/user/bookhall .

Appropriately, you want to do a lot of touristy stuff. But you can't do it all in the time you've got allotted.

I don't really know enough about your routing. When we did our trip, we were going N from LAX during late-afternoon and evening traffic. That can retard your driving time considerably. As will driving Hwy 1 from Morro Bay north (which, of course, is the only way to go.)

Whatever choices you make, you'll have a great time. Good luck.....
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 06:45 PM

Although it has ben 13 yrs since we made that trip, it still stands out in my memory. We stayed on Rt. 1 from Santa Barbara to Monterey. A beautiful trip. Enjoy !
Old Jun 19th, 2004, 06:49 PM

What time of day will you be leaving Long Beach? I'd say for first-timers, the drive up through Malibu and onto Ventura is nice...skip the 23/101...especially if its after 4pm.

I think Santa Barbara would make for a more interesting dinner & night than Morro Bay, but then you'd have a long drive in the morning up to Hearst.

Skip the 17 mile drive as it's just more of the 100 miles that you'll be doing beforehand...but stop at Point Lobos State Park south of Carmel. You'll have a nice little hike and be glad that you stopped.
Old Jun 20th, 2004, 08:59 AM

When you get to the point where you choose between Hwy 1 along the coast north of Morro Bay and going 101 stop and call the California Hwy.Patrol for current weather conditions on Hwy 1. If it is clear it is one of the most spectacular drives in the world. If it is foggy (which it often is this time of year) you will not see anything and have a miserably slow winding trip.