Monterey Restaurants

Search

Monterey Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monterey Restaurants

I am headed to Monterey (will be staying at Asilomar) and would like recommendations for good resaturants...
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Roy's in Pebble Beach for great Pacific Rim food, Casanova in Carmel for Continental in a romantic setting, Flaherty's in Carmel for lots of very good fresh seafoos.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 07:43 AM

Across the street from Asilomar--Fishwife--excellent food and nice walk. In Pacific Grove--Latitudes--also excellent food.
Old Apr 18th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Fishwife is fun! We had crab tostaditos there before our late dinner Pacific's Edge in December.
The White House in Pacific Grove is very good for dinner. We also enjoyed a ver nice meal in the Captain's Room at the Sardine Factory in Monterey.
We were in Carmel last Sunday and enjoyed a fantastic breakfast at Katy's Place. We also had a great dinner at Tarpey's Roadhouse in Monterey. It is located right next door to the tasting room for Ventana Vineyards. Tarpey's is comfort food in a casual-elegant setting. Artichoke rings, baby lettuces, salmon and homemade apple pie with maple ice cream were all yummy!

Also in Carmel is Bouchee for fine dining and a great little bakery, Patisserie Boissiere where we enjoyed a pear tart. The dining room is very quaint with fresh roses on the tables and a fire was going since it was a rainy day.

Casanova and Roy's are also favorites of ours. In Carmel Valley there is Wickets or Marinus at the Bernardus Lodge. We did a little wine tasting at Chateau Julien last Sun. while in Carmel for the day. We still want to try Grasings and Christophers in Carmel. My husband thought the Rio Grill looked cozy and inviting, also. It is right on Ocean Ave. in Carmel.

On the wharf, I would go with either Domenico's or Cafe Fina for good seafood. Both of these places will offer you views of the ocean. One more favorite place for us is Schooner's Bistro at the Monterey Plaza Hotel & Spa. We love their fish and chips and key lime pie here. Have fun! ***kim***
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 02:54 PM

If you are staying at Asilomar you will be in the town of Pacific Grove...America's Last Hometown. You really have no need to leave this town for dinner. A few suggestions for downtown Pacific Grove:

One of the best places in town, and reasonable, is PASSIONFISH. They price the wine right and the food is great.

ROBERT'S WHITE HOUSE is across the street from Passionfish and located in an old Victorian home. Also good.

FANDANGO'S is behind both of the above restaurants and has the flavor of Europe. The locals and guests from Pebble Beach Lodge love this place. Tiger Woods stops by when in the area for golf.

Also nearby is JOE ROMBIS. Great food, nice owner and reasonable on the prices.

THE RED HOUSE is another very small restaurant with more good food. Located on Lighthouse Avenue.

You can almost see all of the above restaurants at one time as they are all located in downtown Pacific Grove and very close to Asilomar. You would not be disappointed with any of these.

For burgers: 17th Street Grill. Indoor or outdoor eating around the fire pit. Good stop for a lunch. Also in downtown Pacific Grove.

For Mexican: PEPPERS! Our favorite and the local hang out spot. Off Lighthouse and near all the other places I mentioned.

For Italian: PASTA MIA. The owner just sold the place back to the lady that ran it for years. It is now back in style and has good food. Another one located on Lighthouse Avenue.

So go to downtown Pacific Grove! You could almost stroll there from Asilomar.
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 03:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Glad to hear Pasta Mia is back with the original person who ran it! I love that place!
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 06:00 PM

Traveldawg: Thanks for the tips on Pacific Grove. A dandy little town, and Asilomar is a great asset....
Old Apr 19th, 2006, 07:15 PM
trippinkpj

I like the Red House also, and First Awakenings in PG too (at the American Tin Cannery outlets. Both very good for breakfast and lunch. Bahama Billy's for Lunch and Dinner at Barnyard/ Carmel Crossroads. I'll second Chateau Julien for wine tasting. I had a dinner there once (it was for a private party) that was great. Los Laureles Lodge in Carmel Valley is nice for meal too. Rustic and a nice setting.