Monterey, Point Lobos and Yosemite

Old Mar 26th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monterey, Point Lobos and Yosemite

If you only had an hour or two to visit Pont Lobos, which trail to take? The Sea Lion Trail and/or the Cypress Grove Trail or the Bird Island Trail?

Are we short changing ourselves of Yosemite time by stopping at Point Lobos before heading over to Yosemite from Monterey or is it worth the detour? I think the road collapse is further south of Point Lobos closer to Big Sir, correct?

The website of Point Lobos says it closes a half hour after sunset. In the summer when would it close? Is it better to go in the afternoon late in the day like a couple of hours before it closes or better to go in the morning and then head out to the next destination?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 26th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I hope you're planning to spend some time in the town of Carmel. I would visit Point Lobos in conjunction with Carmel to avoid the backtracking in the Monterey-Point Lobos-Yosemite route.

Sunset in the summer months ranges from 8:30 pm (early June) to about 7:30 pm (early September).

You're worried that a few hours' detour might be short-changing Yosemite? How much time are you spending in Yosemite?
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

We are spending two nights in the Yosemite area but it equates to a day and a half of sight seeing in Yosemite if we stop for a while at Point Lobos in the morning vs. one full day and two half days for Yosemite if we don't stop at Point Lobos that morning.

That is why I was questioning possibly seeing Point Lobos toward evening the night before if we have enough daylight hours to see it and enough time to explore at least one of the trails. Which is the best trail to take?
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 07:59 AM

When you get to Point Lobos, you will get a map, and once in the parking lot, you can choose your trail. Pick any. You really can't go wrong.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 08:11 AM

Yes, Point Lobos is definitely worth robbing the time to see. If you go in two hours before it closes, that is a great time---- less crowded and sunset views. I would recommend any trail that goes right along the ocean. On the inland trails you will miss all the spectacular rocky ocean surf action which is the most exciting part.
Old Mar 27th, 2011, 09:32 AM

No entries after 6:30 pm and you must leave by 7pm. Be sure to check for updates as with budget cuts it may not expand in summer.

Yes it is worthwhile!
Old Mar 30th, 2011, 10:27 AM

Point Lobos State Natural Reserve is a must and has been called "the crown jewel of the State Park system." While hiking you can enjoy coastal views and wildlife of the Monterey Peninsula. The ocean at Point Lobos is home to sea lions, harbor seals, elephant seals, sea otters, and is a year-round stopping point for orcas.

Sea Lion Trail is 6/10 of a mile look for sea otters in the kelp, harbor seal on the lower rocks, and sea lions further out on the rocks. A fascinating rock formation known as Carmel Formation which is about 60 million year old.

Cypress Grove Trail leads you through one of two natural Monterey cypress trees remaining on earth and along spectacular seaside cliffs for 8/10 of a mile.

Bird Island Trail is 8/10 of a mile, you have access to two white sandy beaches, China Cove and Gibson Beach, with great views of a Brandt's cormorant nesting area. Be advised it will be reworked in 2011 to become fully accessible - at the entrance of the trail you will know if it is opened during your visit.

http://www.seemonterey.com/carmel-by...mel-california

I work with the Monterey County Convention & Visitors Bureau, it's my job to make sure you have a great time when you visit Monterey County.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! It sounds like we difinitely should make time to see it.

In the summer, when is the best time to go? Is it too foggy in the morning to fully enjoy and be able to see the coast? Is it better to go late in the day? In the summer would it be open past 7PM or due to budget cuts we have to clear out by 7PM?
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 06:07 AM

Along the Monterey County coastline, there is no dependable pattern as to when the fog rolls in or rolls out. Each day is different. Some days there is no fog at all. Some days it is foggy all day. Other days it is foggy part of the day--usually morning and afternoon. You won't know until you get there and check the local weather report. For hours it is open, check the website:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/default.asp?page_id=571
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 08:39 AM

>>

Ha ha - more likely you won't know until you get there and wake up each morning and get outside (weather reports being so accurate!)
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 10:33 AM

Yes, and sometimes you don't even know until you are walking on the beach in your T-shirt and 10 minutes later a monster cloud of fog blows in from the ocean and envelops you in a blanket of cold, wet sea mist. The wise locals carry various layers of clothing ranging from T-shirts, fleece, and heavy jackets so they are ready for all the weather surprises that come and go through out the day. The good thing is that no matter what the weather is, the coastline is always pretty in a unique way. Sometimes the fog can provide a very dramatic beautiful interaction with the coastal hills and seashore.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

Good to know that it will still be worth seeing even if the fog rolls in. Just not sure how much of a view it will be though. It depends how foggy I guess.

This time I will be packing sweatshirts and a windbreaker for sure! The first time I visited San Francisco, I had to buy sweatshirts, and it was August. At least I had long pants and no shorts. We saw others shivering with shorts on while waiting for the cable car. Meanwhile, the locals passing by all had on some sort of windbreaker or light parker. I remember it being really cold in the morning and evening but during the day we needed to shed those layers only to put them back on later. A little knowledge goes a long way.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 06:44 PM

What is fun to see at Point Lobos is what is immediately around you as you hike along the coastal trails and I have never seen the fog so thick as to obscure the immediate surroundings.
Old Mar 31st, 2011, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Great, montereybob.

Of the trails, which is your favorite? They all sound good but we won't have time to explore a lot of them. Maybe only one or two at best.
Old Apr 1st, 2011, 04:44 PM

I don't know the trail names but all the trails that skirt right along the ocean are my favorites. Take as many as you have time for. They are all fantastic.