Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Enough time for Yosemite, Sequoia, and Big Sur?

Feb 14th, 2011, 06:58 AM
us4
Original Poster

We planning a trip for late June arriving in San Jose on a Friday and departing on Saturday of the next week. The kids are 13 and 9. The most important place we want to go is Sequoia NP and would like a bit of the coast. Is one day at Yosemite too much to ask? Also, how is the drive into Sequoia NP from Three Rivers? I'm thinking about staying there and driving in during the day. Thanks.
Feb 14th, 2011, 09:19 AM

Arriving by air? What exactly do you want to see and do on the coast? Is there something specific you want to see in San Jose?
The general consensus seems to be that Yosemite outranks Sequoia as a destination (unless you've already been).
If you are choosing a smaller CA airport, Fresno is a good choice for both Yosemite and Sequoia. Given the choice, I would pick 2 or 3 days in Yosemite and 1 in Sequoia.
If you go by way of San Jose, drive down the coast to Monterey and see the aquarium and the small town of Carmel-by-the-sea.
Feb 14th, 2011, 11:43 AM

We went in April, so could only spend time in Yosemite valley and on the road through Sequoia, so one day in each then went over to San Francisco and down the coast to LA with lots of stops along the way. Three nights on the coast. So, if you don't spend a lot of time hiking, then sure you can visit all the places you want to on this trip.
Feb 14th, 2011, 12:54 PM

Personally, I would spend the entire trip in Yosemite and Sequoia. Skip the Maripossa Grove in Yosemite and do the trees in Sequoia. Get lodging ASAP, you are already late for "in park" lodging.

In my opinion you need 3-5 days in each spot.

Stay in park, much much much better than driving back and forth every time.
Feb 14th, 2011, 02:24 PM

How about something like this, it will be a quick trip, but you'll see Yosemite, Sequoia, and the coast. June has the longest days, so you can make the most of your days.

Friday: Arrive SJ (or alternate airport) drive to Yosemite.
Saturday: Yosemite
Sunday: Drive to Sequoia
Monday: Sequoia
Tuesday: Sequoia
Wednesday: Drive to Monterey
Thursday: Monterey
Friday: Monterey
Saturday: Drive to SJ, flight home

Try to get your lodging reservations in Yosemite ASAP. June is high season, so lodging is tight.
Feb 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM

NovemberMoon's basic idea is good, HOWEVER, I can't emphasize enough that Yosemite should get priority over Sequoia / Kings Canyon. Change the day of the drive from Yose to SeKC to Monday.
Feb 15th, 2011, 10:55 AM

I think the Yosemite vs. Sequoia choice is really one of preferences.

Yosemite has major "wow factor", and being summer the high country and Mariposa grove should be open so you can see more of the park than you can other times of the year. To see more than Yosemite Valley, you'll really need at last 2 days though. June also means summer crowds and that Yosemite Valley will be a zoo. Visitors have to be prepared to put up with lots of other people around - some of them so brain dead that you will wonder how they function

Sequoia and Kings Canyon are not nearly as crowded as Yosemite in the summer time. It is a much more relaxed experience. There are plenty of visitors, just not in the same quantities as Yosemite. These parks have plenty of natural beauty, although it isn't as dramatic as Yosemite with its massive granite cliffs, waterfalls, and so forth. I think of Sequoia and Kings Canyon as having more of a quiet beauty.

If it were my choice, I'd go with more time in Sequoia and Kings Canyon, but then I don't like to share my wilderness experience with bunches of other people - and because I live 4 hours from Yosemite, I have the option of going during less crowded times of the year. I might have a different opinion if it was my one chance to visit Yosemite.
Feb 15th, 2011, 11:02 AM

You might also consider flying into Reno and out of San Jose. The drive south along highway 395 is attractive, showing you the "back side" of the mountains, which is astoundingly steep. Then you drive up into Yosemite by way of Tioga pass. Spectacular!!!
Feb 16th, 2011, 12:11 PM
us4
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies!