COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Monterey - Good Sites, Eats?

Old Apr 16th, 1997, 08:28 AM
Shawn

Monterey - Good Sites, Eats?

My wife and I will be spending two days in Monterey while driving down the coast. We're staying at the Hyatt Regency Monterey (is this a good hotel) and are going to go to the aquarium. Any other ideas on things to do or good places to eat would be appreciated. This is my wifes first trip to the West Coast. Also, any goods stops along the drive from Monterey to LA?

Old Apr 16th, 1997, 02:03 PM
Rob Stone

Stay at the Tickle Pink Inn in Carmel instead of the Hyatt -- about 10 mintues further down the Coast and well worth it. Incredible views.

Old Apr 17th, 1997, 12:17 PM
sharon

Great restaurant is the Monterey Fish House! Excellent food, small, family owned. Make reservations! Have fun!

Old Apr 27th, 1997, 07:49 PM
mark salomon

Stop at Hearst Castle at San Simeon. You must buy tickets beforehand through the California Parks system (I don't have a number but I think they have a web site). This place was built during the '20s by William Randolf Hearst--it simply has to be seen to be believed.

Old Apr 28th, 1997, 07:48 PM
Marie

I TOTALLY agree with the first response! Tickle Pink Inn is well worth every penny! I know the name of the inn sounds a little cheesy, but it is actually a very romantic place with great views of the ocean. We stayed in room 30, one of their jacuzzi suites. It was magical! Give it a try, you'll never forget the Tickle Pink Inn.

Old Apr 29th, 1997, 11:57 AM
mshaw

Rent a kayak at Monterey Bay Kayaks and paddle around the Bay. Doesn't take any experience and it's a great time. The sea mammals are wounderful. Also stop at Point Lobos on your way down the coast...otters, seals,sea lions,etc.Staying in Carmel gets my vote too...Quieter,more romantic...and great beaches to stroll on..HAve fun.

Old May 12th, 1997, 12:03 PM
D.

Recommend very romantic hotel in Monterey -- Hotel Pacific 1-800-232-4141. All rooms have fireplace and VCRs, down comforters and pillows. You'll never want to leave the room. At same reseration number, ask about the Spindrift Inn -- closer to the Aquarium.

Tarpy's Roadhouse is the restaurant I'd choose. It's better than it sounds. Price moderate to high, but a great place. Also for expensive but memorable, Fresh Cream. On the wharf Cafe Fina is excellent seafood and pasta -- dress up or down, it doesn't matter. Fishwife near Asilimar is a great place -- mostly locals, not so many tourists. Moderately priced.

Old May 21st, 1997, 03:30 PM
Jill Rosen

For a great meal and a fun atmosphere, do not miss Fandango's in Pacific Grove. Also, try to get part of the 17 mile drive in by Pebble Beach and the Lone Cypress