Search

Monterey CA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monterey CA

Traveling to Monterey, CA the week of March 6th...what should I pack? Any ideas what the weather will be like? I'm taking my 21 month old daughter, and need to know if heavy coats are necessary.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 08:31 AM

The type of coat to bring depends on what you are planning to do.

If you are planning any outdoor activities at all, you should bring a sports jacket which will be rainproof and also has a hood. This is the best type of "coat" to wear on the beach and while walking/hiking around.

If not, then any kind of heavy coat will do.

In case the news hasn't told you already, this is the rainy season in California, so be prepared for rain.

You should also think of layering. Have your daughter wear a t-shirt, a light turtleneck and possibly a sweater/sweatshirt on top of that. You can always peel off the layers if it gets hot or put on the layers if it gets cold.

Have fun!
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:37 AM

I grew up in that area and never even owned a coat. Now I live in the Bay Area and the only reason I own a coat is for winter travel out of the area.

It rarely gets below freezing here and when it does, it is an overnight freeze. Winter temperatures are usually in the 40-70 deg F range, with highs generally in the high 50s to low 60s. Sometimes in Feb and March we get some warm spells, but usually it's slightly chilly.

In the winter, people around here wear long pants, closed-toed shoes, longsleeved shirts, sweaters, windbreakers or outdoors-type jackets.

Layers are definitely the key because it can be chilly in the morning and warm up in the afternoon and then cool off again in the evenning, so you want to have a couple layers to peal off or put back on as needed.

I'd leave the coats at home and just bring some layers and a rain-resistent jacket for an outerlayer.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 09:48 AM

Where are you staying veenray? ***kim***
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 05:51 AM
Original Poster

My husband is going to school there for two weeks at the Navy Base...so we are staying on the Navy at the Bay Park Hotel, I suppose it is very close to the Navy Base. We didn't really have much of a choice since the Navy is paying for the trip ;-). Which is fine, I think we won't be spending that much time in the hotel anyway....

Thanks to everyone that posted with info.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:52 AM

The navy base is right near the walking trail and downtown, so you really couldn't ask for a better location anyhow. If you're going to be there for two weeks I'd consider getting a membership to the aquarium, with two visits it will pay for itself and your daughter will love it! Especially the Splash zone.
Old Mar 2nd, 2005, 08:23 AM

I agree with Monica, you will love the aquarium there! Have lunch at Schooner's Bistro on the bay afterwards. They have really yummy fish and chips. Enjoy your stay! ***kim***