How to dress and plans

Search

How to dress and plans

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to dress and plans

I will be arriving in New York the 17th for four days. As a "Zonie" as the California people call us from Arizona, I was wondering how warm to dress. I was planning to bring layers rather than one huge coat. Any suggestions???? Also I love to walk around the city, this is my third visit,but not in winter. Knowing weather forcasts always change does this seem like a good plan? I plan on eating at the new Modern resteraunt in the MOMA and later viewing the artwork. My plans also include the Met as well as a day in the Village/Soho as well as exploring other great areas in the lower island.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 08:11 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm not sure "layers" will be warm enough for NYC in December. It can be pretty darn cold! Do you have a winter coat you could bring (wear on the plane)? Also remember hat, scarf, gloves.
Old Dec 10th, 2005, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:43 AM

Agree layers and a warm coat including scarf, gloves and something warm for your feet. Layers for indoor days (remember stores and museums will be warm) and the heavy coat for outdoor walking/skating etc.

If you plan on eating at MOMA, I hope you've made a reservation since it's very popular.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 09:14 AM

This is hard to answer not knowing what you own and how "cold" do you get? I never lug one huge warm coat anywhere anymore on vacation unless it is one with fancier plans; I bring my gortex waterproof shell (3/4 type) which blocks the wind, takes me thru snow or rain storms and is light and fold into nothing, with a hood if I need it that rolls into the collar. (rei type) Under it I wear a thin warm hikers fleece (marmot, rei type) bringing either a vest or long sleeved one, or both - or my vest and a warm nordic type sweater that 'goes with a lot of what I am bringing for clothes. - I am always warm enough in that whether hiking, skiing or walking and I can wear all separate or together, whether they are zip in or not. Usually I am then fine with a thin warm sweater or turtleneck under it all. My shell is black, so a pretty scarf, hat and mittens brightens it up enough for me. If you really want your coat too, then I'd wear the coat and pack the other. It's just that some coats don't work well in pouring rain, sleet or wet snow and all the slush that comes with winter weather piling up on the sidewalks and the "slush" splattered by passing cars - who knows what Dec 17th time will bring. I bring a pair of nicer walking boots in case sidewalks and weather allow, and my walking waterproof boots (that I can tuck my pants into) with good sole grips so I can walk wherever I want and be warm and don't care if my boots get splashed but the bottom of my pants don't get soaked. Most museums, etc have coat check so you don't have to carry around but stores sometimes dont', which is why I personally prefer the lighter layered outdoor gear. If your coat isn't serviceable in all types of weather, while you could use an umbrella, I find those difficult on crowded city sidewalks. But, if you don't have this stuff, and I don't know what "layer" type things you own, I wouldn't go buy it just for four days, and would bring whatever coat you have. If you are cabbing to places like the Met, Moma, etc a coat is fine, if you are the type that might want to walk thru central park even if light snow, etc, then you might be better off w/ the waterproof top. Of course, you can always bring one of those clear plastic type traveling rain coats and put it over your coat if it's that wet out. If you are a believer in farmers almanac, you can always check out on almanac.com and see what they predict, but remember, it's the northeast so who knows. the other day, our storm was called to end around 2pm and did, only within an hour the sun disappeared and we had a two hour snow/thunderstorm/wet and heavy snow and it was a mess for the next five hours. that's the northeast for ya!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 10:48 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
For me, for visiting NYC, I would be more comfortable a bit more "dressed up" with one nice suitable dress coat and a good looking pair of comfortable boots (rather than fleece, gortex, REI style clothes mentioned above). I guess it depends on your age and your usual fashion sense though.

To my mind, in any city you can always duck into a coffee shop, catch a taxi, or buy an umbrella from a vendor... it's not like you need to be prepared for hiking the great outdoors.

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 11:01 AM

escargot: Just a gentle reminder that paragraphs help some of us in the reading of your posts!

Belle
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:13 PM
GoTravel

I'm with suze. I wouldn't feel comfortable schlepping around Manhattan in gortex, fleece, etc. It is a dressier town than most so I always take a long black wool coat, hat, gloves, and a cashmere pashmina that doubles as an airplane blanket.

Good walking boots with rubber bottoms are a must.

Old Dec 11th, 2005, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody, good advice. I was wondering about the dressy/warm factor. So if you are out and about with bulky layers, and or a coat, is it ok to go to a fancy resturaunt,club, bar etc.. and not have fancy outerwear????
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 03:22 PM

Since you check your coat upon arrival, it doesn't matter.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 03:23 PM

PS Those small Saks bags (with handles) are fabulous for toting a dressy pair of shoes. You can check your boots in the same back with your coat.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 03:30 PM

Please also remember to bring some kind of hat! (I sound like my mother...) But really, it can get extremely windy in the city, and your head and ears will be freezing after a day spent walking around.

Enjoy!
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 04:47 PM
emd

BUNDLE UP! Cuz baby, it's going to be c-o-l-d outside. It's always been windy and bone chilling cold in Dec. every time I have gone. I wear silk long johns under my wool slacks, gloves, hat, sweater, heavy coat. And it is still cold. My eyes water it is so cold (sometimes I wrap my scarf up aroung my eyes!) ESPECAILLY if you are going down to Battery Park area close to water, then it is wicked cold. Don't turn down the chance to eat those warm nuts that the vendors on the street sell in winter.

I actually do like to be prepared for the great outdoors in NYC, because it is so great to walk as much as possible there in Dec. - so much to see w/the decorations and everything happening on the streets that we end up walking for miles.
Old Dec 11th, 2005, 08:15 PM

What can I say - I will be the person you pass Dec 20-22 in my gortex and outerwear - and again the second wknd of January! But we plan on being outside at Rockefeller Center, Theater and Dinners at night, Soho, Nolita, West and East Villages and exploring everywhere.

On the second trip in Jan, we are meeting up with four couples for our 6th annual get together in NYC and doing lots of theater and fine dining at night and exploring during the day - and I'll still be in my New England Rei/Gortex outerwear.

I don't want to have to go inside b/c I am cold. Maybe that's what happens when you pass the big "Five-O" When I walk into a fancy restaurant, my coat is the first thing off and hung up and underneath I am dressy. If you were just cabbing it from your hotel to restaurants and museums, I think dressier is ok, - but if it's that bad out everyone is trying to get a taxi and if I can't, I want to be able to brave the elements.

In the winter, what I love best about the city is what is outside - watching people ice skate in central park, seeing the decorations, walking the streets - if you pass me when I'm back in the city in the spring, summer and fall -well, that's when I'll be in my fancier duds!! Whatever you decide, just wear whatever keeps you warm - so you can explore outside if that's what you want to do.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 03:56 AM

I live in Manhattan and I don't think you need to worry about being "dressy". Wear whatever is warm... and I suggest bringing a hooded jacket or sweatshirt because the tall buildings makes the wind very stong in Manhattan.
Old Dec 12th, 2005, 04:57 AM
GoTravel

Just make sure you have a good coat be it gortex or wool.

The wind will cut right through you.

I don't know if you could pile enough layers on to keep you warm without a coat.

If you must purchase a coat, buy one you will get some wear out of.

Old Dec 12th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Being the wife of a hunter, I will again suggest that the instant pocket handwarmers
...and now they have back warmers, worn under your clothes. These helped me alot while doing Haleakala sunrise...also handy for football games, etc.

Belle
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody! What great advice. What a great forum this Fodors "talk" is. Happy Holidays!
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 01:49 PM
J62

AH
Be aware that there is a possibility of a transit strike (bus and rail) in NYC as of this Friday morning that could severely affect getting in and around the city. This includes restrictions like min 4 passengers per car entering Manhattan, massive gridlock on roadways and bridges, etc.

The local CBS radio station has some good info on the situation www.wcbs880.com