Monitcello???

Jul 28th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Monitcello???

Tell me if it's worth the trip? We live about four hours away and have been interested in touring it, but haven't found many reviews. Also, would be interested in a nice restaurant and hotel nearby. Thanks.
Jul 28th, 2007, 11:22 AM

You mean Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home?

If that is what you are talking about (these posts don't say where you are from or what state you are posting in) --- I'd say it's awesome. I loved it when I lived out there. But I'm a complete History nerd -- so I love learning stuff that TJ grew like 30 types of peas b/c he was pea fanatic.

You'll be close to Charlottesville so you've got all the restaurants and hotels for the colleges. But I can't recommend any off hand.
Jul 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I meant Monticello---I can't believe I made that typo! How embarrassing!

Well I enjoy history, but I can't say I'm a total history buff. I think we've decided to wait until the fall when the leaves are changing, it should be a nice drive. I'll also do a search on Chalottesville. Thanks so much for the info!

Jul 28th, 2007, 09:27 PM

Even someone who isn't a history buff can enjoy Monticello, IMO. The gardens are beautiful, so is the architecture, and the furnishings inside are lovely and interesting. It's just a gorgeous setting for a short trip--I think you'll like it! (And you should drive around the UVA grounds while you're there.)
Jul 28th, 2007, 09:42 PM

I agree -- it's just gorgeous the property it's on. But fall would be a really nice time to go and all the college campus would be abuzz.
Jul 29th, 2007, 01:34 AM

also check out the boars head inn, the keswick winery...

seems there is so much to do around there.. a numberof wineries look gorgeous. some are old plantations.

we hope to go this august so i will post a report when we come back.

priceline seems to get great deals on a few of the better hotels.

Jul 29th, 2007, 03:50 AM

While touring last Sept/Oct we visited Monticello-Ashlawn and Michie Tavern and it was certainly worth it.You can order a combination ticket via the Internet.In Michie's tavern they serve the food they used to serve when the tavern was in actual service.The peach cobler is heaven.Paul
Jul 29th, 2007, 06:43 AM

I would recommend it! Beautiful scenery, interesting facts etc..
Charlottesville is great but make sure it isn't a football weekend or you will not find a room!!

Barboursville Winery is supposedly great!
Downtown Charlottesville has great dining choices eclectic...
Aberdeen Barn is recommended as well. We enjoy the Hardware Store and BODO's for bagels!!

DH grad from UVA and we spend several weekends a year visiting during football season! Love it!!!

Wintergreen is a nice place to stay as well...you can rent condos/townhomes. Check out VRBO.COM

Search this Thread