moloa'a bay houses, kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to hear from anyone who has rented this house. There are a few places with similar names - this one is beachfront - sitting right behind a vacant lot -- owned by a real estate agent and a doctor. Looks like a great house. I'm interested in feedback on the location - as well as any other info (interior details, view, etc).
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:13 AM

A quick google search, turned up these interior photos -- with a description that seems to match the realtor's listing for "Moloa`a Bay House":
http://www.kauaibeachhome.com/SlideShowInterior.htm

Moloa`a Bay is down a narrow rural road off the highway; about 25 minutes from Hanalei and 20 minutes or so from Kapa`a.

It's a great place for folks who want to "get away from it all". If you plan to tour the island, allow the extra 10-15 minutes or so drive time between the house and the highway.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Auntiemaria -- You're great -- your insights are really helpful! The Moloa'a bay house slide show is great - but actually - not the house I was referring to (it seems lots of houses in that general area have similar names). Here is the link to the house I'm considering - http://www.bestbeachhouses.com/

However -- based on your comments I'm beginning to think that the location isn't very central (to north shore beaches, etc.) The other place I am seriously considering is Hale O Lalani - http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/...P.html?Num=279 It doesn't have a water view but looks very nice.

And -- there is another place Mia Huna (are your familiar with this one?) that looks very appealing. More expensive -- but air conditioned which is very appealing to my husband.

I'd love feed back on any of these places -- actually -- i'd love your recommendation (and the recommendations of others) on a nice romantic place with aloha personality -- in a convenient north shore location. Water views would also be great.

I want to make reservations soon (no later than right after the holidays) -- so I don't have much time left to ponder all the choices. Actually - I love all the research -- but I need to make a decision fairly soon. We're planning on traveling early/mid June - and I know that is honeymoon season so small cottages will be in demand.

Thanks for all the input.

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:25 PM

Although I've not been inside the house, this is the one which California friends have been renting as their annual escape-from-it-all retreat, for years. And they rave about it.

As for air conditioning, we have it in our bedrooms (we live in Princeville), because I can't sleep when it's hot. We use it about 10-15 nights each year, mostly in the hot/humid months (September/October). Beachfront houses such as the ones in Moloa`a get great offshore breezes; doubt that A/C would be worth the extra cost (especially if ceiling fans are available).

On checking the Mia Huna site, it appears to be well inland from the ocean -- the area is known locally as Kalihiwai Mauka or Kalihiwai Ridge. A/C would be useful there, as the tradewinds aren't as strong. Inasmuch as you've stated that you want water views, one of the Moloa`a rentals would probably suit your needs better.

These houses on Hanalei Bay are owned by a local family -- very popular, but you might be able to slide into something:
http://www.aloha.net/~seek/other-houses.html

Have a _wonderful_ visit! 8-)
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'll check out the houses in Hanalei. Do you have any feelings about Hale O Lalani -- I keep going back to that one for some reason (even though it doesn't really have a water view) -- it just looks like a cute little house. Moloaa sounds a bit too out of the way for regular dining out/exploring. Do you think Hale O Lalani's location would be more convenient for exploring other beaches, hiking, etc.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 06:00 PM

It's being handled by one of this island's premiere vacation rental firms -- one of the few who will only accept properties which meet their strict criteria with regard to regular maintenance, amenities, etc. I don't think you'd go wrong with Hale O Lalani:
http://www.kauaivacationrentals.com/...P.html?Num=279

Kalihiwai Ridge (mauka -- inland side of the highway) is an area comprised of "gentleman farms". The lots are 5+ acres each, and the homes on them tend to be grand. Soft hillsides, lush foliage, waterfalls...very nice!
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Great - I think we're all set -- 5 nights Whalers Cove (first time in a condo but it sounds very nice and it will give us a new experience) - and one week Hale O Lalani. I'll report back. Thanks!
Old Dec 7th, 2004, 06:17 AM

I was going to suggest you look at Plantation Cottage offered by NaPali Properties. We are staying there in July. I like the fact that it is fairly secluded off of Weke Road across from the beach. It looks simply, but nicely furnished and was recently remodeled.

Congrats on your plan. Whaler's Cove will be nice and a whole week on the north shore will be fabulous!
-Bill