VERMONT-Favorite Country Inn or B&B

Dec 6th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Original Poster

VERMONT-Favorite Country Inn or B&B

What's your favorite country inn or B&B in Vermont and why? How about in Woodstock, Vermont? Planning a 3 day weekend in February and looking for something in a quaint New England town, plan ski... Thanks!
Dec 6th, 2004, 05:27 AM

I think I'm in the minority on this board, but I really have a soft spot for the Woodstock Inn. This is not a small cozy place, but a large, grand, old structure. I just think it's picture perfect, and has wonderful service. I love coming in to the grand lobby with huge fireplace after skiing, and enjoy the afternoon tea (and hot chocolate) with grand piano. Plus I love the town and it's shopping and dining options.

Staying there, however, does involve a car, as the closest ski area "Sucicide Six" is about 15 minutes away. Their pool and fitness center is about a 5 minute drive.

I think you'll find better skiing, and more B&B options in Stowe. The town is not as "quaint," in my opionion, but does have more of a "ski village" feel and "nightlife."

Good luck with your planning! Have fun!

Dec 6th, 2004, 05:32 AM
gc

Gail, do you have a budget?

If money is no object, the Pitcher Inn in Warren, VT. 10 minutes to Sugarbush or Mad River. No lift lines, great snow, Spectacular accomodations and food.

Other, less pricey options include the Waitsfield Inn, Sugartree Inn and Weathertop Lodge.

Check out:

http://www.madrivervalley.com/lodging/bbs.htm

for more info.

Eight degrees and snowing in the Mad River Valley this morning.
Dec 6th, 2004, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I LOVE Woodstock VT and have been there many times. We have stayed in the Woodstock Inn and that fireplace is fantastic on a cold winter night. Woodstock has some great nearby options for cross country skiing, Killington, etc. I've never been to Sugarbush, so not sure how far a drive that would be from Northern NJ?
Will have to check out the Pitcher Inn in Warren, VT. Also, maybe the Inn at Essex too maybe.... Thanks!
Dec 6th, 2004, 06:57 AM
gc

Gail,

Add an hour. Come up the NY throughway and across VT 17 and the Appilaichian Gap.
Dec 6th, 2004, 07:09 AM
bm

The Inn at Essex is nice, but it's in suburban Burlington, adjacent to anoutlet mall. Definately not a "quaint New England Town".
I second the Pitcher Inn-never stayed there, but it's beautiful and right in "downtown" Warren.
Another recommendation, although it's fairly isolated, is the Rabbit Hill Inn in Lower Waterford. Close to Burke, Cannon (NH) and Bretton Woods (NH) for skiing.
Dec 6th, 2004, 10:42 AM

For something a bit more rural than the Woodstock Inn, but close to Woodstock, chekout Marshland Farms at Quechee which has on premises x-c skiing. Another very chrming place near Woodstock is the Kedron Valley Inn in the heart of Vermont's horse country.
Near Sugarbush, look at the Round Barn Inn at Waitsfield - a beautiful place in a very pretty setting
Dec 6th, 2004, 04:10 PM

I just want to make sure you AVOID the Ye Old England Inn in Stowe.
Stowe was a very nice town though
Dec 7th, 2004, 06:22 AM

Barrow's house is near Manchester (I believe it's in Dorset) - it's beautiful with fireplace rooms - it's about $180-250 a night which includes an amazing breakfast and amazing dinner. I have friends who stay there every year and even got married there. They have their own website.

Dec 7th, 2004, 06:35 AM

Try the Maple Leaf Inn (B&B) in Barnard which is about 15-20 minutes drive from Woodstock. We were there in October for a long weekend to see the foliage and the Maple Leaf was nothing short of fabulous. Wonderful rooms, great breakfasts, and warm, friendly hosts.