modesto - where to live?

Search

modesto - where to live?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
modesto - where to live?

Hello! I know this isn't a travel question but I thought I would give it a try. We are considering re-locating to this city for a job for my husband (we currently live in the north east) What are the better towns to live in in this area? We would like a nice town with things to do with children and excellent schools. Any suggestions???
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 12:09 PM

Modesto is in the middle of the central valley, which is mostly agricultural. There isn't a whole lot going on there, but the real estate prices are reasonable. One of my friends bought a house in a new development in a town called Salida which is near there. They don't have kids though, so I have no idea about the schools in the area.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 06:57 PM

You need to think about this very carefully....and visit before you decide. Modesto has very little going for it except cost of living (because it's not particularly desirable).
Numbers can be misleading, but if you consider all the data collected to create the Rand McNally Places Rated Alamanac to be at least somewhat indicative of the overall quality of a city, Modesto has usually ranked in the bottom 40 cities in the USA (out of approx 350 cities). Just a heads up.
Old Dec 10th, 2003, 07:32 PM
CalgirlSusan

"Modesto - where to live".
I'm sorry to tell you this, but the answer is easy. "Anywhere but in Modesto!"

Old Dec 11th, 2003, 06:35 AM

Consider two of Modesto's own:

Gary Condit and Scott Peterson!

Enough said??
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all the info. We have never been to California before and it is a long way from CT! The other opportunity he may have is in Pleasanton but I looked at the housing prices and yikes!!!! I thought CT was bad but on realtor.com a shack in the area was going for over $400k! My husband is a little upset with me right now from all of the good advice I have gotten here. Oh well, better to find out now than after we have moved across country. He will still talk with the company and probably go out to visit but I don't think I will agree to the move. I'm holding out for Chicago anyways Any more info would be great!
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 08:14 AM

On the plus side you will be in a more affordable area of California (and in California vs the NE which is enough of a reason alone) and you will be about 90 min from SF, 3 hours from Lake Tahoe up in the Sierra Nevada Mtns, less than 2 hrs from Yosemite and other scenic Nat'l Parks.

You are in the Central Valley -- so it is flat and uninspiring everywhere. But you can drive to the ocean, or snow, or desert, or giant redwoods, or wine country, or The City (not San Jose) in easy day trips.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

I would not want to live in California just to live in California to get out of the North East (which I love...we just have the opportunity for a change) We can do short day trips here to many things (and with a 2 year old they need to be relatively short) and the 2-3 hr trips would be too much. I think he will pass this opportunity up.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 08:52 AM

By all means have your husband visit.
Otherwise the "what if" argument will always be relevant.
He will figure out the problem very quickly once he gets the lay of the land.
I almost moved to Fairfield County last year, all my family now lives in LA, SF and San Diego, and I grew up in the Chicago area, so I can compare the above areas pretty well. Chicago's a great city in which to live, work and play if you can handle the weather. Most people from CT would be fine there.
Modesto? No way I'd move there and no way would I'd let a friend move there if they had a choice.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 09:33 AM

Does your husband's company not like him? j/k

All kidding aside, I don't think Modesto is anyone's idea of a great place to live. Definitely a visit first would in order, but if you are used to the NE, the central valley of California would be more than just a little shocking to get used to.

However, the Pleasanton area is actually quite nice. High price for homes? Well, 400k is just about the average price for a home in any desirable area of California in today's market. For me, it's "normal" - but then I've lived almost my entire life here. At least with Pleasanton, you are very close to large metropolitan centers. It still is very different from the NE, and a visit would certainly be in order.

Wherever you and your husband decide to go, the best of luck to you!
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 10:20 AM

Modesto is HOT in the summer, being in the Central Valley. Snow? No! BUT there is "valley fog" in the winter, a particularly treacherous, very thick and low-lying mist which is the cause of many car accidents every year.
The area around Modesto is farms and cattle ranches, so it can be rather, um, "pungent" in warm weather.
So much for weather facts. Please think through your decision carefully and visit, as a previous poster advised. If you go online, I'm sure there is some Chamber of Commerce material to view as well as information from the school district. Good Luck.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 10:55 AM

Bigdog50 -

I resent the idea that moving away from the NE - especially to a place that sound extremely unpleasant - is enough of a reason. We live in the NE because we chose to - no one's forcing us. I love the change of seasons - winter, spring and especialy fall are just as good as summer. And there are incredible cultural and educational resources.

I've spent a little time in California and frankly found it boring. I wouldn't take it on a bet. (I recently heard Alec Baldwin on the Howard Stern show and he said the East/West cost thing was the reasons he and his wife divorced. He couldn't stand California and she wouldn't move to New York) So speak for yourself and don't assume everyone else agrees.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 12:11 PM

I agree nytraveler. As a west coast native (Southern California) I get tired of the comparisons. To each their own.

I've spent time in the east and do not care for it all. The vibe, obnoxious people (and their accents) were enough for me.
Why don't we all agree to stay on our respective coasts.

Here in San Diego, we have a military problem - they serve their term and don't go home. You can visit, just go home afterwards.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 12:28 PM

I think bigdog50 was just being snide.
Why so sensitive?
There are parts of California that are among the worst places to live in the entire USA (I won't name names, but they're all central and southeastern), and parts that are among the best.
Same with the northeast, where there are both charming small towns and rural areas along with several of America's best big cities.

It's ridiculous to simplify by saying that "California represents this" or "living in the northeast is such and so". Just like it's totally wrong to stereotype people from the south as slow or midwesterners as naive, etc.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 09:03 PM

Gee Nytraveler -- nothing like playing up to the steroetypes, eh? Us lame-ass laid back Californians (living in the state of "fruit and nuts") crackin' wise and then some up-tight overly aggressive New Yawker tells everyone what their opinion should be because its his..... and I especially love your line, and I quote --
"So speak for yourself and don't assume everyone else agrees." ummmm - I was speaking for myself (and was, as the other poster said, maybe being "snide") and never assumed anyone let alone everyone would agree. The irony is if you looked at a map and compared the size of CA to other states and then realized that other than the coast and the mountains the bulk of the state is flat boring crappy or desert (the desert area alone is bigger than several NE states combined) you would understand the point.

Let me add some disclaimers now -- all the above is IMHO, and
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 09:10 PM

personallly, I'd stay in Ct.
Old Dec 11th, 2003, 09:25 PM

It is just sooooo stupid to say "I have visited California and wouldn't live there on a bet".

California is over 1000 miles long, has the highest point in the contiguous 48 states; the lowest point in the country; the hottest place in the country; and frequently the coldest. It has vast ski resorts, coast and mountain redwoods, over 1200 miles of coastline, Spanish, Mexican, Russian and gold rush sites from the 19th century, and world famous resorts, theme parks, huge cities and tiny villages, the most popular National Park and the most remote one. It produces more agricultural revenue than any other state.

In other words - California is the most diverse state and no one has "seen" it in one or a hundred trips.

Someone living in LA has a very different experinece and very little in common w/ someone living in Mt Shasta or Tahoe or SF or the Central Valley. So quit generalizing.

But - we can all pretty much agree - Modesto is NOT one of the prime places to live!
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 06:09 AM

The comment about California was only to show bigdog50 how offensive his statement was. Obviously there are good and bad areas in all parts of the country and obviously we each have our preferences - for city vs country - for energized vs laid back. But why abuse others gratuitously?
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 08:20 AM

I've lived in California my entire life and can't imagine myself living anywhere else. I wouldn't move to Modesto though.
Old Dec 12th, 2003, 10:56 AM

doesn't Modesto= Gallo, the wine company?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -