Moderately Priced Dining Near Marriott Financial Center

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are looking for some updated information and recommendations for dining near our hotel, Marriott Financial Center. We typically enjoy moderately priced restaurants with a local flair during thr day and a little more expensive at night. We are traveling with 2 college age daughters who are interested only in shopping, eating and drinking in the City! Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:13 AM

It would be helpful if you told us what city.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 08:42 AM

I assmue you're talking about downtown NYC. The last 2 times I've stayed in NY it's been at the Marritt FC. The immediate area is more geared toward the business crowd (as you probably know) and many things are not open at night. Chinatown is within walking distance. A 10 minute cab ride away is Crispo's on W 14th - great Italian food. Roy's, in the hotel, is quite good. Across West St toward the river are some pretty good restaurants in the World Financial Center - Au Mandarin, the Grill Room and SouthWest NY.

As far as shopping, I suppose you know the Century 21 store is about 2 blocks away (across the street from the WTC site) - that should keep them shopping for hours.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 05:15 PM

For a quick decent lunch there is a Korean restaurant on John Street. Also on that block is Les Halles which has excellent steak frite, moule frite and hanger steak.

Also on the same block is Evelyn's who makes inespensive store made chocolate.

On Stone Street there are many choices including Swedish. During the nice weather it is block party every afternoon.

Delmonico's Grill is also a good alternative, even though the waiter has not smiled since 1956 but is much cheaper than the main dining room.

For breakfast try Bouley Bakery. Please go one morning Across the street is Odeon

That should get you started.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Aduchamp1 and dfr4848. Those suggestions are truly enough to get us started (and finished) in the limited amount of time we have in NYC. Have a nice summer. SB
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM

You also might try Fraunces Tavern which is at the bottom of Broad St not far from the NYSE and the Federal Building. The restaurant is pretty good, very cool bar area, and upstairs is a small museum. Fraunces Tavern is one of the oldest restaurants in the US.

The South St. Seaport is another fun spot with several good restaurants and some good shopping too.

Chinatown I can recommend 2 very good restaurants for lunch (dim sum) Mandarin Ct and dinner Peking Duck House (and get the Peking Duck, best in town) both are on Mott St. Also stop at Silk Road for a bubble tea.

You also might check the website for downtown and I think it's www.nycdowntown.com but will check and repost. And www.nyctourist.com

Have a great time.
Old Jul 2nd, 2007, 02:33 PM

A correction the website for downtown is www.downtownny.com, it is a really good resource for all things the the Wall St area, restaurants, (some discount coupons) and all the events going on.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 10:12 AM

SB - you're welcome. Actually I liked the MFC area. Not quite as hectic.
Old Jul 3rd, 2007, 12:36 PM
mdn

I agree with the suggestions so far. Highly recommend:
1) A lunch on Stone Street when the weather is good(small street with around 5-6 restaurants), all of which are good and each has it's own distinctive stle - pizza bar, english pub, swedish etc.
2) You must hit Chinatown. Peking Duck House is great for dinner. Dim Sum lunch at Dim Sum Go Go or Mandarin Ct. with dessert at one of the Chinese bakeries or tapioca seed bubble tea/milk shakes.
3) Morning coffee & muffin/snack at Financier coffee shop on Stone Street or in the World Financial Center. Bouley Bakery in Tribeca is great for breakfast.
4) There is a noteworthy Argentinian steakhouse in Tribeca called Industria Argentina that serves wonderful Mojitos and the steak is excellent. Argentinian wine list that well priced & very good & overall prices are quite reasonable. You can look it up on http://www.Menupages.com
5) I would avoid any of the restaurants within the World Financial Center. Roy's is fine but in this city if you want seafood, you can do much better.
6) There are plenty of top notch options for eating & shopping in TriBeCa &I'd suggest you spend a lot of time walking around there... much of the shopping is very high end but it's fun looking. Restaurants like Nobu, Tribeca Grill etc are also in walking distance but you'll spend big bucks there. I'd walk along Greenwich st. & then cut across & walk east-west up to W. B'way on streets like Franklin, Duane, N.Moore, Harrison ec. Good window shopping there.
Old Jul 5th, 2007, 02:46 PM

You should avoid the restaurants at the seaport as there is not one worthy one amomg them, the same with Fraunces Tavern. They have opened up new places on Front Street which I ahve not tried as of yet.

For dessert try Financiers, they truly know how to bake.

My closest assocaite is Chinese and Dim Sum Go Go is not genuine. For Dim Sum try Jing Fong and Golden Unicorn. And for a slap dash cheap meal try Big Wong, yes that is the unfortunate name, especially the spicy chow fun. And remember to finish with store made ice cream at the Chinese Ice Cream factory.