Mission Space death at Disney World

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read that another person died on the Mission Space ride this week. Here's the article: http://tinyurl.com/jupuk

I'm wondering how many of you have ridden this ride, and whether you'd do it again. My husband & I rode it, felt dizzy for hours, and both swore we'd never ride it again. It was a lot of fun, but once is enough!

What an awful way for this family's vacation to end...
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 05:24 AM
GoTravel

I agree it is an awful way for the woman's vacation to end but I certainly would not ride this ride if I had high blood pressure and a bunch of other health problems as she had.

The first person to die on the ride passed away from unrelated causes.

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

I agree, GoTravel. The warning sign in front of the ride is enough to make anyone scared, let alone someone with health problems!

The poor kid who died earlier, or his family, didn't even know he had a heart problem though.

Have you ridden it? If so, what did you think?
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 05:51 AM
tmt

It was not fun for me, but the couple next to us loved it. I used some meditation type breathing techniques to keep me calm. They tell you not to close your eyes or it will be worse.

There are barrels outside each door of the "vehicle", and there were folks using them. So, definately, don't have a big lunch before going on the ride.

T.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 06:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
And this is fun?
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Fifty percent of the people in the US who have high blood pressure, do not know they suffer from hyper tension.And only 50% of them do anything about it.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:30 AM

Horrible ride. I'll never ride it again.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:45 AM

It's a great ride, a ton of fun, but not for the weak or frail -- hence the myriad warning signs.

My 9 & 11 year old nephews love it -- one of the big reasons we go to Epcot.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:52 AM
GoTravel

Beachboi, since the article listed she did have high blood pressure and a bunch of other health problems, she knew.

How can 50% of the people with high blood pressure not know this?

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:56 AM

Probably because they don't have access to good medical care, or have access but don't take advantage. It's amazing the number of people who haven't seen a doctor in years and years and years!
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 07:59 AM
GoTravel

Even if you go to a doctor for a scrape they take your blood pressure.

That amazes me.

Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:19 AM

We really enjoyed it. Went on 3x. After the third we were all a tiny bit wouzy and didn't go again even though there was no line. Don't go on if you get claustrophobic or motion sick. It will definitely do you in.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:25 AM

This does NOT sound very enjoyable.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:33 AM

I thought it was an amazing ride- and I'm not much on most rides- I did get quite dizzy and a little nauseous after the ride - but now that I know what to expect I would do it again.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:34 AM

Many people have high blood pressure and their doctors don't even treat it properly. I can say that as my spouse is in the healthcare.

But that ride it terrible. Saw someone throw up when getting off of it. I'd never ride it again. Didn't enjoy it at all and we do lots of activities with motion.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 08:43 AM

sorry for typo
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:44 AM

Have never ridden it because I have major motion sickness. But - that's not the fault of the ride - that's my body.

I think people need to show a reasonable sense of responsibility in taking rides like this. If you know that you have any sort of significant health problems - a 2G ride seems a really bad idea.

I have great sympathy for the family of the child with the undiagnosed heart problem.

But for adults who have hypertension - taking this ride is obviously making a choice to take a risk.

And we do have a healthcare system problem in this country - but anyone who has the money to go to DisneyWorld has the money to get a physical once a year. And there are many other ways to determine if you have hypertension (in many cases you can tell someone is likely to have it just by looking at him/her) - never mind all the pharmacies, health fairs etc where you can have your BP tested for free.

So - don;t blame the ride - blame people who don;t use any reasonable level of common sense.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:53 AM

I was in Target the other day over by the pharmacy..There was guy doing the blood pressure thingee, where you put your arm thru the sleeve...He had never done so I showed him what to do.The meter registered 235/115.....After I picked myself off the floor, I asked him if he was taking anything for it...As he walked away, he said "No, I just light up another Marlboro and open a Heine".......pathetic but true...
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 09:57 AM

i don't think the ride is that bad. i never registered the spinning motion while on the ride.

i have a much tougher time on the teacups (makes me nauseous just thinking about it) or that old carnival ride, the roundup? (where it spins so fast you are pressed against the side and the floor drops.)

but there are a lot of warnings posted and also in the little video you watch.
Old Apr 13th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Neopolitan

Only a little off the subject, but regarding the many people who don't spend money for physicals.

I don't justify, but I do understand it.

I currently pay over $6000 a year for my health insurance which has a $2500 deductible, so normally anything I do medical wise is going to come out of my pocket. The last time I did a "basic" physical it was $1200 out of my pocket. Immediately they wanted me to do a stress test and a colonoscopy, although there were no signs of problems. I did do a colonoscopy for another $2200 out of pocket (foolishly I did the physical in December so the colonoscopy started a new deductible cycle). I passed on the $750 stress test. It is not hard for me to understand why people don't go get physicals when they don't see any symptoms.

Health care problem in this country? You can say that again! I can't wait until I can go on Medicare -- if they don't take that away. At last I'll be able to afford medical care -- particularly tests and preventative medicine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -