Search

Minneapolis -4 days in August Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2010, 08:33 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minneapolis -4 days in August Suggestions

We are off to the new ball park and staying at the Millenium. We are flying and will be there most of the weekdays, not the weekend.

Any Minneapolis people or those who have followed the baseball circuit out there who can give me some daytime must do's or restaurants or favorites? No car- downtown Minneapolis. We will probably go to Mall of America to see the entity. We are going to night games- have the daytimes mostly free.

BTW, those Twins tickets were COSTLY! After Pittsburgh, I can't believe it's the same basic game. These tickets are costing about 3 to 4 times what my Pittsburgh tickets cost. BTW, I did get Legends R as per a suggestion for one night. THANKS!

Hope we win and hope we are still in 1st place when I get there.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Minneapolis, sadly, I believe to be a hard city without a car. Minneapolis in the summer means being outside. So, visit the lakes.

Go to Lake Calhoun one day and rent bikes from Wheel fun Rentals and bike around the Lake and along the paths to some of the other lakes. Can also rent a paddle boat or kayak. Have lunch there at Tin Fish or walk up Lake Street to Stella's (sit on the roof).

Go to the Walker for an afternoon. Have lunch at Cafe Lurcat. Walk around the park.

Try to have lunch at bar la grassa before a game...make reservations asap. My favorite new restaurant in Minneapolis.

You could see if there is something at the Guthrie playing right now (honestly don't know). Go to a show and have dinner at Sea Change.

For a fun afternoon on Lake Minnetonka contact Tonka Tubing (www.tonkatubing.com) and have them take you out tubing and waterskiing on the Lake and then drop you off at Lord Fletchers or Maynards or Bayside or North Coast or any of the other fun lakeside restaurants. Order Walleye.

Other great restaurants for pre-game food or a post-game drink would be Solera, Black Sheep pizza, D'Amico's Kitchen, Brit's pub.

Have fun. It is a beautiful new stadium.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 11:14 AM
JJ5
Original Poster

Oh thanks, I especially like the bike idea. We tried to get that in at Pittsburgh and never fit it in. We very well might this time.

That's exactly the kind of suggestions I wanted. And I will recall and locate your restaurant choices. I truly appreciate it.
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 01:26 PM

We spent 3 days in Minneapolis last year and never needed a car. Check out my review for some ideas, we had a great time and loved the city.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...inneapolis.cfm
Old Jul 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM

Gave you the wrong link, try this one.

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...inneapolis.cfm
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 03:48 PM
JJ5
Original Poster

Thanks, Frank. The search feature here is not good, when I know of a thread, you still can't often find it. Not even with the exact title words. I have no idea why.

But I read all of yours and am looking into the Highlights Tour.

It seems strange to hear about the Metrodome and now it is Target Field. Just went to the White Sox game against Seattle last night- and it was awesome- and totally got me revved up for this trip coming up.

I believe that Minneapolis may be like Pittsburgh, Baltimore, St. Louis etc- not often hyped for visiting but actually providing far more than some huge cities- with ease of choice to access, as well.