Mini NYC Trip Report

Search

Mini NYC Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old May 23rd, 2009, 08:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini NYC Trip Report

In NYC 2 weeks ago to help DD pack up from first year of college and come home. No "sight seeing" this trip. All packing, eating, and plays. This will be brief!

Dining: Let me start by saying that I am on Weight Watchers and managed to enjoy my meals, drink wine AND lose a pound the 5 days I was there.

Cafeteria - 17th/7th. Great place. Ate outside. I had tomato basil soup and the garilcy green beans and a glass of Chardonnay. Fine day and a fine little meal. Second time we ate there I had an egg white omlette with tomatoes and onions, a few home fries, dry toast and yes, a glass of chardonnay...

Bottega, 9th Ave at 16th. We had a late lunch and sat outside on their patio. One of my fave meals. I had the green and yellow bean salad with almonds, parsley, red onion and red wine vinagrette. SO fresh and tasty with my white wine. My meal was Penne Integrali Con Ceci E Carciofi -whole wheat penne, chickpeas, artichoke, red wine & parmigiano. SOOOOO good.

Vice Versa - One of my fave places but this time it was crowded and very loud. I had fish, don't remember which actually. Met friends and the company was so good I lost track of the food. But they always please and the service is right on.

Zuni, 43rd/9th. Nice meal. Good for the price. I had seared tuna and a green salad. Very well done but nothing amazing. Excellent service tho.

Porters, 23rd and 7th. Excellent meal and stellar service. Rare tuna with some of the best spinach I've ever had. HUGE pours of wine, which always makes me happy.

Broadway - thanks to some here - DD and I saw August: OSage County. By far the best show we have ever seen. Smart, funny, witty and poignant - and great acting. Highly recommended to anyone. You'll love every minute of it.

Friday went alone to see In The Heights. Loved it. My fave musical so far, and I've seen Hairspray, Wicked, COlor Purple, Mama Mia and the Lion King....
Old May 23rd, 2009, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great short report,thanks. Often I don't have time to wade through the really long ones, much as I would like to.

We are headed to New York in September. Did you have to prebook your theatre tickets? We are not from the USA and unsure whether to prebook online, or go to a half price ticket place or just wing it. I wanted to see August: Osage County in London but it was sold out.

What is In the Heights about, I've not heard of it.

Thanks, Kay
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:21 AM

KayF, there are Broadway discounts available on broadwaybox.com and playbill.com. But, it's a bit early for September discounts. Check in July or early August.
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:16 AM

I saw August: Osage County and In the Heights (for the second time) when I was in NYC back in late December - so glad you enjoyed them.

Your restaurant selections are making my mouth water - sounds like a great trip (well, minus the packing!)
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Totally forgot to mention the hotel...Stayed at the Red Roof Inn, 32nd/5th Ave, on the Korean Way block. Small hotel but the room was spacious by NYC standards. I had 2 queen beds in my room, desk, flat screen TV, refrigerator, microwave, sofa, table. Bathroom was small but not at all cramped. I paid $130 for week days and $170 on the weekend. I'd stay there again in a heartbeat. Very clean.

Kay, I bought my ticks via Playbill. I got my August tix for about half price a few months in advance. Go to playbill.com and sign up to become a member. No fee. they will send you emails and you can also take advantage of any discounts. You can try for Sept discount now. Who knows. We had 12th row center, but the theatre is very small, and any seat is fine, really.

I decided last minute on In The HEights and did it thru Playbill as well, and just picked the ticket up at the window. I had the very last seat. It wasn't the best tho - 3rd row on the end I missed a lot of the dancing. In the Heights is a story based on a Latino neighborhood in NYC called Washington Heights. It's a great story, with wonderful acting, singing, and dancing. I can see why bethke saw it twice. I'd see it again as well.
Old May 25th, 2009, 01:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Austin, I'm interested in the hotel you stayed at, it seems very reasonably priced for NYC. Do you know if all rooms have the fridge and microwave? It's hard to tell from their website. Also did you use the wifi - wondered what it costs.

What was the area like around the hotel? Were there cafes and restaurants and shops close by? We've never been to New York and would want a fairly lively area, though not interested in bars or nightlife (other than theatre).

The location of the Red Roof Inn looks central but never having been it's hard to tell. Are there subway stations around for easy access to other parts of NYC?

Thanks for any help.
Kay
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:19 AM

KayF, the Red Roof Inn is owned by the same co. as the Hotel in Times Square--applecorehotels.com Don't know about fridges and microwaves (I doubt it) but Hotel in TS includes free cont. breakfast and is, imo, a better location than the Red Roof. There are lots of good deals too on travelzoo.com especially for summer weekend stays.

Austin, I also LOVED "In the Heights" and totally didn't expect to. Kay, it's about different Latino people living in Washington Heights, an area at the northern end of Manhattan and their struggles to "make it" in NYC. The star of the show was also the writer/composer and he started it when he was in college! The cast is extremely talented and it's a rousing, feel good show with great dancing.
Old May 25th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

I had micro and refrig in my room and not sure why they all wouldn't have them. As for other hotels, not sure you can always call and ask.

The location was fine for me only because it was fairly close to my daughter at 27th and 7th Ave. It was also 2 blocks from macy's. The entire block that the hotel is on is called "Korean Way", and except for a few hotels - La Quinta, marriott, etc, all the shops were Korean. It was very lively, but there may be better locations for a first time in NYC. In NYC, if you don't have lively on your block, just walk a few and there you are.