Reload this Page >

Looking for UpBeat Musical in NYC...?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:58 PM
Connie

Will be in NYC for 3 nights (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) and would love to see an upbeat musical. So you know my taste...my all time favorite musical is My Fair Lady, I liked Annie Get Your Gun and Sound of Music as well.
I did NOT like Les Miserables (excuse spelling), I found it too down and out. I'd love something "happy, upbeat, etc." I'm 58 years old if that matters. Would love some opinions...Thanks very much, Connie

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Howard

How about the revival of Oklahoma? That fills the bill perfectly! Or, perhaps 42nd Street.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:14 PM
steve

42nd Street is the ticket for you! It's very upbeat and has great dancing and costumes. If you want to see something new then Thoroughly Modern Millie fits the bill.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Frank

Connie: Try to get tickets for "Hairspray". It's a new musical that is previewing right now and will open the middle of August. Saw it last Friday and it's funny and upbeat. Takes place in Baltimore, circa 1962. Lots of teenage clothing and dancing of the period. Got lots of good reviews out of town and is expected to be the next Broadway hit when it opens.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Statia

Chicago might be another you'd like, Connie.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:13 PM
connie

Hairspray sounds good (saw the movie and loved it)...where would I buy advanced tickets for either August 26,27,28 since it hasn't actually opened yet? (If not I'll fall back on the other recommendations) Thanks!! Connie

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:57 PM
monty

The Full MOnty was really enjoyable, except a bit more "racy" than typical 40s musicals. However, my teenagers loved it, and so did we.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:04 PM
hi

Is this easy or what? The Producers, if you can get tickets.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Frank

Connie: You can order tickets for Hairspray through ticketmaster online or via phone 212-307-4100.

This discount code JHDM2, will get you half price tickets. Not good for Saturday Evenings, and good for preformances through 9/22. Tickets must be ordered by 7/26.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:18 PM
Donna

My husband and I thought Les Mis was a huge snooze. We LOVE "Chicago" (we've seen it three times and plan to go again). Saw "42nd Street" last month. We thought it would be really hokey with too much tap dancing. Though both were true, we loved it!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 04:43 PM
Nikki

Conni

If "Mama Mia" is playing in NYC I would highly recommend it. Of the shows I've seen - it's the most upbeat of them all.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 07:55 PM
Anna

My girlfriends and I went to see Thouroughly Modern Millie when we visited New York. All five of us thought it was great. I think it totally fits the "happy, upbeat, ..."

http://www.modernmillie.com/home.htm

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:04 PM
pasta

Mamma Mia !

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 12:28 PM
abc

mamma mia. trust me.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 01:14 PM
arf

Momma Mia is what you wantto see.

Old Jul 26th, 2002, 02:22 PM
broadwaybaby

Have seen all of the above except Millie

I agree and also would recommend the following for happy and upbeat:
42nd Street
The Full Monty
The Producers
Mamma Mia

Off Broadway: "I Love You, You're Perfect Now Change" is very funny

I have future tix to see the play Noises Off, which I hear is also fun.
Enjoy!!!

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:08 PM

I second the Millie suggestion. Great choreography and very old-fashioned musical style.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 04:46 PM
x

Hairspray closes in Dec.
There are no tickets available until Nov.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 05:20 PM
m

My wife and I saw the Producers this last weekend. It was THE funniest show ever. If you can get tickets, this is the show to see.

Old Jul 31st, 2002, 08:10 PM
Debby

I love Mamma Mia, saw it in Chi last yr then in NY last Dec---standing for $30.
Can dance around in the back gt;)---also, if people don't show up, you can sit. I get standing as much as poss--I can move around more and see more shows. Millie did win Tony this past season and is supposed to really be good. Saw Producers also, very good. If you're familiar w/Abba's songs you'd like Mamma Mia---Dancing Queen is one. Hairspray is supp to be really good also, try standing---it's really not bad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -